Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #41
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

glitterfairy, I find teeth brushing hard too. Well done! For me when I was working on that, what helped was trying multiple kinds of toothpastes to find one that I could tolerate the taste and texture of better.

nonperson, I don't think you should feel guilty about not doing things. Any bit of improvement is still worth celebrating and it sounds like you are doing great! Is there any way to break your goal down at all to make it seem more manageable?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
nonperson

I am currently:

Toothpaste taste is not nice.

I don't think I can break down "do the washing up" much further. =)

nonperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 11:44 PM   #43
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I’m a bit behind on my uni work, but ‘catching up with uni work’ is too broad a goal. Any ideas on how I can break it down?

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 11:56 PM   #44
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Loving this thread, Lana.

*Be mindful of the good, because, there is a lot of good out there.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #45
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I hope this isn't overstepping nonperson, because you definitely can break it down!

For example you can say you're going to do the washing up for 5 minutes every day, or you can say you're going to wash 5 things every day, or at x time every day you're going to do the washing up.

Also, is there anything specific that makes it difficult? I know a lot of people find wearing gloves makes the process more bearable, or using a different type of sponge, or nice smelling soap, etc..

Alison, what I do is I break each assignment down into individual questions or chunks and try to tackle one thing from each assignment every day. So for example my goals for today are to grade 1 question from the most recent assignment that needs graded, write 1 paper summary of the 5 I need to do, write 2 topic summaries for my class cheat sheet of the 12 total, and so on. I am personally finding that switching tasks to different assignments so much is more difficult than just working on one assignment for a longer chunk of time. So if that's easier for you, maybe you instead can say something like, I'm going to work on school assignments for 30 minutes a day. The other thing I do is break the assignments/tasks up by type - so reading has a category, watching lectures has a category, typing/writing has a category, and grading has a category. So if I just have to do 30 minutes of work and I don't feel able to focus on reading, I can try to watch a lecture or try to do something else. Or if it's really late but I need ot get something done, I can pick something that doesn't require as much thought. That may have been a ramble, but that's some of the ways I've been trying to break up my mountain of work.

*waves at Mary* Thank you for reminding us to stay positive. :)

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 22-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #46
nonperson

I am currently:

Auror, you're not overstepping at all. I was just trying to make it light hearted but in actual fact you are absolutely right - any task can be broken down. What you suggested is already sort of what I'd done a couple of times last week, like as soon as I got home I had some time before wanting to sit down so I washed up until 5pm which was only 15 minutes but that does make a big difference in chipping away at it. I don't know why I find it so difficult because I'm usually quite a tidy and particular person but when I'm home I just kind of shut down and have no energy or motivation and it's very hard for me to get into and keep up new habits. It very much depends on my mood at the time.

I feel a bit silly analysing the simple task of washing up now. =/

Old 22-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #47
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were trying to make a joke. I thought you were serious.

Also can I vote there be a rule about diminishing the importance/difficulty of the thing you're working on? It's not simple if you struggle with it.

Old 22-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #48
nonperson

I am currently:

Well not a joke as such, either way I appreciate your advice.

And yes, there should be that rule.

Old 23-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #49
yoyogirl

I am currently:

TW Anorexia Nevosa

Hiya All, today is going to be super productive day, one assignment. I have already submitted one assignment and now I am going to work on the next today which is resilience in social work. I'm gonna leave the on one Anorexia Nervosa for a few days and just keep plugging away.

I hope you all have a lovely day.

p.s it is possible for me to be allowed back into the discord chat. I was under the influence when I was online.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #50
nonperson

I am currently:

The discord chat you're talking about belongs to The Good Limbo - it's an entirely different forum to this one. You'll have to ask them.

Old 25-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #51
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

I mostly managed my goals again, apart from Sunday when I was ill.

So (belated) this week I am trying:

1) Gratitude journal every day
2) One piece of life admin/housework a day
3) Keep making previous goals into habits

It's going ok!

Just wanted to thank Lana for this thread and everyone for keeping it going. I second the proposal of never diminishing the thing we are working on. :)

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #52
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Elmer those all sound great!

*offers cheering and encouragement to anyone who needs it*

PS. nonperson, I was just reading something other day about someone who hated doing dishes (unsure if it was real or a meme) and it made me think of you. They were basically given the suggestion to run the dishes in the dishwasher two or three times to get them clean. I don't know if you have a dishwasher, but I think the point was to not worry about the way you do things, the more important thing was figuring out a way to do it that works for you.

Old 25-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #53
nonperson

I am currently:

Thanks, Auror. I don't have a dishwasher unfortunately! That would make things a lot easier.

Old 30-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #54
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Well done everyone on your heroics :)

I have not done great at getting my arse out of bed which I think was an intended goal but I have been doing lots of craft as a bit of downtime from working!

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #55
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

just wanted to check in and see how everyone is?

Old 13-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #56
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

I am not working on goals all that much bc I am too busy just making it through the day a lot of the time

I still want to work on reducing energy drinks because some days I have a lot even for me and it's just messing with my physical and mental health
and I am hoping to focus more on uni assignments as I have a bit of time before they are due but don't want to wait to the last minute to rush them

:skull emoji:

"... but me? Me? I am a thousand years old, you can't kill me!"

Unbreakable. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 02:55 AM   #57
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

That's okay. That's still accomplishing an important goal!

Old 14-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #58
black.shadow

I am currently:

I'm going to join in because maybe some accountability will help

My goal for this week:
- Do my washing up the same day or the next day at the latest
- At least 6 hours of sleep a night
- To have proper meals in the evening
- Tidy my flat

black.shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #59
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

Those are excellent goals!

:skull emoji:

"... but me? Me? I am a thousand years old, you can't kill me!"

Unbreakable. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 03:42 AM   #60
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I would like to join.

- get to bed before 3 am and try to sleep (due to an inconsiderate neighbour my body is used to being awake at 3 am now).
- brush teeth at least once a day every day (i find brushing my teeth really hard)

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)