RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
Bipolar/mood instability and PRN meds?

Do you use or have you ever used PRN medication to treat acute mood episodes?

I am pretty stable at the moment except for every few weeks I get a mild hypomania that last about 4-7days. It is a manageable hypomania and does not disturbe my functioning too much but I do know that it does anoy my family and friends and I also worry that one day I will loose the control and it becomes a full blown episode.

I see my psych on Monday. I don't really want to change the meds I'm on I would prefer that I had PRN meds that I took when I feel a high mood coming on or at least prevent escalation.

If you do take PRN meds what ones do you take and do they help much?

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
SoDark

I am currently:

I occasionally take prn anti anxiety meds and they sometimes level out hypomania. Otherwise I just kinda ride it out.

SoDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Rayven

I am currently:

I take diazipam prn now alongside lithium and abilify, in the past ive taken haloperidol, chlorpromazine, quetiapine, propanalol as prn none have been effective as diazipam and im lucky to have it on repeat prescription something i know to be very rare, but i can only collect a script every 3 months.

Rayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
RemoteControl

I am currently:

I have diazepam PRN but that's mainly for when I'm feeling very angry and want to smash the place up, or when I'm feeling extremely upset and histerically crying. So only for the extremes of my mood fluctuations that only last a few hours or so. I'm not sure how it would work for a period of 5 days or so? I suppose you could ask your doctor and see what they say. Might as well give it a go.

Oh, and it helps a HUGE amount. It doesn't make you feel good or anything, it just sort of brings you back to 'emotion state 0', which is sort of nothing-ness. But I'd rather feel nothing than feel all that other horrible stuff.

RemoteControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Leni

I am currently:

I take diazapam prn too. I use it when I'm extremely anxious or when the hypomania gets to the 'I'm about to put my fist through a wall' stage. That stage isn't nearly as bad as it used to be because I'm on mood stabilizers now. I'm really thankful for the diazapam - in the past it's helped me control what can be dangerous and destructive mood states. I am very careful not to use it too often though. It's one of those drugs that you can build a tolerance to and/or get addicted to, which is entirely counter-productive.

And the illusion of love is the only promise of defence, and even that will crumble.

Leni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Thanks for this guys. I got my meds increased and a some PRN quietapine. Which should help hopefully
Thanks again x

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)