RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
waytorecovery

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - URGENT Is my cut infected? *may be triggering with a little description*

I'm sorry if this is gross or graphic, but I have no other way of finding out if this is normal or not. I have a cut on my thigh that isn't that deep but it seems kind of odd. It's wider than my other cuts, which for the most part are just slits, not opened at all. This cut though is opened [a small amount]. It doesn't hurt or have any signs of infection except inside it is this kind of yellowish fleshy stuff.. I don't think it's nearly deep enough to be fat. I'm not sure. It seems pretty solid, it's not oozing out or anything. I haven't seen this in any of my other cuts. I've never had an infection or anything before so I'm not sure what I should do... Does it sound infected or is the yellow fleshy stuff normal??

Last edited by waytorecovery : 20-10-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Removed size of wound

"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

One Hug Given By:
Old 15-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

It is completely normal and what you are describing is the fat. It can be hard to believe a cut can be deep enough for that, I know, but you arent describing an infection.

If you have any steri-strips (butterfly strips) I woud recommend using them to close the wound after you have cleaned it thoroughly to avoid infection and make sure it heals better/quicker without too much of a big scar if you are bothered about that.

Also be careful with your descriptions, you might wanna read the rules of this particular board before posting in future, and remove the description of how wide the cut is open.

Old 15-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

You say that it doesn't seem deep enough to be fat, but I wonder what you're basing that judgement on? I'm guessing it's more of a sweeping "oh, I haven't cut that deep", rather than being based on actual anatomical information? I could be completely wrong, and I certainly don't mean to sound patronising or anything, just wondering if you're confident about it not being deep enough for the fat, or just a bit shocked that you reached the fat layer? Hope that makes sense!

You should really get a wound that is deep enough to reach the fat layer checked out at A and E or a minor injuries unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaneos View Post
If you have any steri-strips (butterfly strips) I woud recommend using them to close the wound
Depending on when the cut happened, be careful with this- it's not advisable to steri-strip more than 24 hours after a wound.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 15-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

^That is true, I forgot about the 24 hour thing

Also, the first time I reached the fat layer it was a massive shock because I didnt think I was doing anything different so it is definitely worth getting it checked if you arent sure.

Old 15-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Animad

It may be that it's one of the layers of the skin above the fat layer that's visible, it doesn't sound totally like fat to me. Also, how old is the wound and have you cared for it at all? Infections tend to appear a couple of days after the injury and the wound is usually swollen, painful, reddened and has a discharge, often yellow- green, thick and foul smelling. Not all of these signs need to be present for a wound to be infected but going by your description it doesn't sound infected at all. Also, a normal wound does have a clear discharge which doesn't have a smell but may have a faint colour to it so if it has got a discharge it may also be due to this.

Old 16-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
waytorecovery

I am currently:

Thank you guys, I don't think it is an infection. It seems like it's more likely to be fat. I really don't believe it was that deep though, and I think it's probably what Animad said about it being the skin above it because I don't think I actually got to the fat itself. It's probably because it's on a fattier part of the body. I'm sorry about the triggering description, I'll definitely be more careful. Thank you for your help!

"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Old 20-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
waytorecovery

I am currently:

*UPDATE* (Sorry to bump but I figured this would be better than starting a new thread)
My cut has been showing more signs of infection. It has a bit of redness surrounding it and it is not healing. It might be just me but it looks like there is more yellowish stuff in it and a tiny bit of it came out on my band aid. I started washing it with anti bacterial soap yesterday and putting polysporin on it. When should it start healing? It hasn't changed yet. What do I do if it doesn't? If I go to the walk in clinic or the doctor would they tell my dad that I self harm? I'm 17 years old so I'm a minor. Please let me know!!!!!

Old 20-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Animad

I agree with Carmen. With dressings the discharge can end up getting thicker and have some colour to it. Also, cuts being red can be normal as they heal. If the surrounding area is reddened, it's becoming hot, more painful or swollen then it probably is infected, yes. If it's not then it's difficult to say.

In terms of healing, has it worsened at all or just seemed that the healing has slowed or stopped? Did it appear to be healing quicker first?

Really I don't think a GP would tell your dad but I don't really know the rules in Canada. If you show them you're responsible and such (like you have been for caring for your wounds) they're less likely to but I don't know the age when their full consent/ confidentiality comes into it. I agree though that if you go to a pharmacy you can ask the pharmacist what they think. They can look at it and tell you and they will not have a way to get in touch with your dad.

Old 21-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
waytorecovery

I am currently:

Okay, thank you so much for your help. I think it looks like it's healing more now and I don't think it's infected. I probably just didn't understand what was going on because the cut was deeper than usual and was healing differently. Thanks again!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)