RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
LRgrad15

Not wanting to admit that you were wrong to someone who may be arrogant and stuck up

Overall, it can be hard to admit if you were wrong, but at the same time, it's the right thing to do when it comes to admitting that you were wrong and even apologizing. However, does anyone have difficulty admitting they were wrong about something to someone who is very arrogant and stuck up? I will admit I am this way. For most people I like, I am not afraid to admit that they were right about something, but there have been some people, and still are some people, that I refuse to admit they are right about something due to how arrogant they are and how much they rub it in.

I've seen it happen where if an arrogant person realizes they actually were right, they will keep rubbing it in. They'll say stuff like, "See, I told you I was right. You need to start listening to me. I know what I'm talking about and I know when I'm right and that I'm always right." My dad is like that so I never tell him when I realize if he was right about something. Same for people at work and even back when I was in school. And it can be someone of any age and it can be about anything. Someone who thinks they are better than others and know everything will rub in the fact that they are right and will even get mad if people don't listen to them.

I don't mean to come off as arrogant myself or unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, I just don't like the idea of someone who is already arrogant and truly believes they have all the right answers to have their ego's inflated more so than they already are. This doesn't happen all the time, but in the cases where it has, I am way more reluctant to admit I was wrong and they were right if they have a superiority complex. For those who don't have a superiority complex, I'm way more willing to admit that they were right about something and even more willing to apologize. Again, I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude or not willing to admit wrong doing to anyone, I'm just reluctant to do it to someone who truly believes they are above others and has all the right answers.

Usually, in the past and even present, someone else or even I admitted that they were right to an arrogant person, they will respond by saying that others should have listened and may even get angry. I've heard some people say, "Why didn't you listen to me? You know I have all the right answers. From now on, listen to what I say and you will have no more problems." For someone who is not arrogant, I don't think they would do that, at least not to that extent. But those who are arrogant truly believe they're better than others and will rub it in consistently without end. Has anyone ever experienced this? Just wondered what your thoughts were. I will still mentally admit they may have been right about something, but I will not verbalize it to that person. I believe they don't need their ego's inflated anymore than it already is.

Old 16-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
Yeah, I grew up with someone like that and the constant "when will you listen to me, when will you learn I'm always right" nonsense and having mistakes rubbed in my face - even tiny mistakes like getting a song lyric wrong - just got really exhausting; so I just kinda stopped telling them things.

I figured if I couldn't give them anything to boost their ego, they couldn't continue with their behaviour and I wouldn't end up feeling terrible about myself.
Exactly! I'm the same way. I know it makes me sound arrogant myself and I don't mean to come off that way but I just don't like boosting someone's ego if they are a very arrogant person. So that's why I do the same thing you do, don't give them anything to boost about and rub it in your face. And yeah, even small mistakes being rubbed in your face becomes degrading very quickly.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)