RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #41
Sketchy

I am currently:

I've never tried boasters. I guess I'm just not posh enough, haha. Is it just mcvities you're trying? Are you able to order other brands? I love Tunnocks caramel wafers. Tunnocks is a Scottish company. Many years ago I worked near their factory and the smell from walking past made me badly crave a caramel wafer. Tunnocks tea cakes are amazing too, but I doubt they would survive a trip to America since they are very light and fragile.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #42
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
I've never tried boasters. I guess I'm just not posh enough, haha. Is it just mcvities you're trying? Are you able to order other brands? I love Tunnocks caramel wafers. Tunnocks is a Scottish company. Many years ago I worked near their factory and the smell from walking past made me badly crave a caramel wafer. Tunnocks tea cakes are amazing too, but I doubt they would survive a trip to America since they are very light and fragile.

McVities seems to have long history of making good things so I cant go wrong with anything they make.

The Tunnocks look great. They remind me a bit of Twix bat but I'm sure they are better. I'll try those.

I was also thinking of trying this...

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #43
The One Who

I am currently:

Don't. Just don't have tinned custard. Or even worse, the packet stuff! I don't like custard at the best of times, but those options are just foul!

Jack, a colleague of mine brought us back some Tootsie Rolls (blergh!) as well as taffy, which I was told was like the UK Chewits, but really wasn't. American sweets leave a lot to be desired!

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #44
Sketchy

I am currently:

Custard is ok, but warm and poured over apple pie.

That's weird. I was in a tesco today not too far from my flat and they had a small selection of American sweets and I spotted tootsie rolls. They also had different Hershey bars, and a strange grape thing with peanut butter called goober.
One day I will try something!

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #45
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Don't. Just don't have tinned custard. Or even worse, the packet stuff! I don't like custard at the best of times, but those options are just foul!

Jack, a colleague of mine brought us back some Tootsie Rolls (blergh!) as well as taffy, which I was told was like the UK Chewits, but really wasn't. American sweets leave a lot to be desired!

Tootsie rolls are junk. They are penny candies that are giveaway candies for Halloween (they are also the first things most of us shoplift when we are 7 or so!).

America is not a candy or chocolate culture (M&Ms are most famous but not too). America is an ice cream culture. When ice cream met the new blenders in 1920s ice cream sodas and milkshakes became #1 treat - with ice cream shops becoming as iconic as baseball stadiums and cars. McDonalds didn't grow because of burgers. It was because of milkshakes. Its hard to find bad ice cream even now.

The only US chocolate I eat is Dove chocolate. Otherwise I get Cadbury's.

Taffy can be hit or miss. I get it at the Jersey shore or nowhere. Most candy these days is flavored wax. Aside from chocolate the only candy I get is a vegan's nightmare - gummi bears (and I get them in my ice cream sundaes !)

As fir custard..Its been my experience that anything named "Devon" is nice. Devon seems to have some of the nicest beaches. An RYL girl named Devon had some of nicest eyes. I am conditioned to be open to anything names Devon!

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)