RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:
Presumed consent for organ donation.

So yesterday the WAG (Welsh Assembly Government) voted in favour for 'presumed consent for organ donation' making Wales the first UK country to do so.

Meaning unless you opt out of organ donation it will be presumed you want to donate your organs.

This won't come into affect until 2015.

What's peoples opinions on this?

Welsh - http://wales.gov.uk/topics/health/nh...skip=1&lang=cy

English - http://wales.gov.uk/topics/health/nh...skip=1&lang=en

I personally think this is a wonderful idea and could save many, many lives. Also makes me proud that Wales is leading the way.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I think they should focus more on giving people the information that they need to opt into organ donation. There should be adverts and so on explaining how easy it is because a lot of people don't know how to go about it.

It doesn't sit well to presume people would want their organs harvested just because they haven't made their feelings clear about it.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Oh we already have a fair bit of advertising, I know i've seen a bit around.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Well i mean everywhere.....not just wales.

I think a lot of people would assume that if they havent said yes that they are opting out.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Fair, there could always be more advertising/information when it comes to this kind of stuff, to be fair.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
The One Who

I am currently:

Completely and utterly against it.

1. Why does the government now take ownership of my body once I die? My family takes ownership.
2. There is absolutely no fool-proof system that will mean that a person who has opted out will not get their organs taken. And to have them taken when a person specifically says no, is much, much worse than not taking them when someone has given permission.
3. Where is the money for extra beds, extra transplant teams, analysis, etc coming from?
4. Changing the entire system because some people are too lazy to tick a box to say they'd like to go on the register? Quite drastic.

A better system would be to continue with the opt-in system, but once everyone turns eighteen (or perhaps when they get their driving licence, or register to vote, or something similar) they are asked 'yes' or 'no'. That way there is no excuse for laziness/apathy.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Surely, regardless of the register, it still requires family consent, as was the case with the current/English system?

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
offlineforever
Left RYL

What about those who have conditions that mean they can't donate organs?

How can they check if someone can't donate for medical reasons before they take organs?

This does seem like a good idea in theory, but in practice I think it could be more harmful to people awaiting transplants.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
Surely, regardless of the register, it still requires family consent, as was the case with the current/English system?
It's unclear what would happen. Unless the family can provide evidence that the patient would not have consented, it will be presumed that they have. But then of course the doctors have a duty not to add undue stress onto an already grieving family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytak View Post
What about those who have conditions that mean they can't donate organs?

How can they check if someone can't donate for medical reasons before they take organs?
They would check that. Using a database that of course would never, ever go wrong...

Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I'm all for it. This system will ensure that those who have a genuine moral objection can still opt out whilst ensuring organs from people who never got round to signing up, or don't have strong views on it can be used.

ETA: I would also make it that anyone who opts out is in eligible to receive a transplant.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Epiphany_Addict

I am currently:

The problem I see with the opt-in system is that, of the many people I've discussed this with over the years, those who are against organ donation generally have far stronger opinions than those who are in favour. I don't think it's laziness that makes people 'forget' to opt-in; I think it's that a lot of people just genuinely don't care either way, and are afraid to give it too much thought when it does come up because that would involve thinking about death. Because of that, they just never get around to it. The opt-out system, by contrast, allows people to have their genuine, thought-through objections respected.

This is, of course, in an ideal world where nothing ever goes wrong and all doctors and families are saints, but that problem still exists with the current system. A doctor I knew was telling me about families she'd encountered who wouldn't allow their relative's organs to be taken, even though they themselves wanted this to happen and had made that clear to medical staff. So it's not like opt-in guarantees that your wishes will be respected either.

Opt-out just seems like the best of the available systems, to me. Though I suppose a mandatory opt-in deadline could work too.

Epiphany_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany_Addict View Post
The problem I see with the opt-in system is that, of the many people I've discussed this with over the years, those who are against organ donation generally have far stronger opinions than those who are in favour. I don't think it's laziness that makes people 'forget' to opt-in; I think it's that a lot of people just genuinely don't care either way, and are afraid to give it too much thought when it does come up because that would involve thinking about death. Because of that, they just never get around to it. The opt-out system, by contrast, allows people to have their genuine, thought-through objections respected.
But why make it so that these people who "don't want to think about death" consent automatically. That seems like a rather extreme take on things, when education and continual choosing (when you get a driving licence, a passport, a NI card, a voting card, etc) would be a better way.

I was talking about this today at work, and two people who are currently on the register said they would opt-out. They think it's a donation, a gift, and for the government to presume consent would be invading their privacy and their personal rights.

Quote:
This is, of course, in an ideal world where nothing ever goes wrong and all doctors and families are saints, but that problem still exists with the current system. A doctor I knew was telling me about families she'd encountered who wouldn't allow their relative's organs to be taken, even though they themselves wanted this to happen and had made that clear to medical staff. So it's not like opt-in guarantees that your wishes will be respected either.
I think that if the person has opted-in then their decision should be respected, unless of course they weren't of sound mind when they did so.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Isoverity

I am currently:

I'm not a fan. Its like gov being a vulture and picking through corpses. Lots of people don't want their remains used for all kinds of reasons. There are people who drank heavy for 20 years and know their liver is messed up even though they have no "official" illness yet. Now they are transplanting faces and talking about transplanting heads. Its getting kind of Frankensteinish.

"Human head transplants are possible, says neuroscientist"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...plant/2483085/

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Just a question, wouldn't it technically be a body transplant. As the brain is what makes you, you. Unless they were planning on bringing back the brains of dead people to keep a body alive, which'd just be weird.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Isoverity

I am currently:

I don't even know and try not to think about it. There have also been medical experts talking about using DNA to breed neanderthals, bring back dinosaurs etc.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01...g-ancient-dna/

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
caz23

Despite living in Wales my personal situation will remain the same as I have already registered as an organ donor anyway. Having said that, it was my choice to become a donor, and subsequently my decision as to which organs I'm happy for them to take or not (all of them, incidentally - they'll be no good to me when I'm dead). I wonder whether the opportunity to make such choices will be made clear to people under the new presumed consent initiative?

I am in two minds about it all to be honest. On the one hand I think that it can't be a bad thing when you consider the amount of people who die whilst on a waiting list for an organ transplant. And from the few people I've spoken to about it, they have said that they would be more likely to opt out if they object under this new scheme, than sign up in the first place even if they wanted to previously. But on the other hand I think that something such as organ donation is an extremely sensitive and personal decision that should be made by individuals as opposed to the WAG. I think that they're taking a step in the right direction, but need to be extremely careful in terms of how it is executed and regulated.

caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I honestly can't answer the questions raised. I only know what was on the WAG site. I do think WAG need to be careful how the implement this new law and all that and i'll be interested in seeing how it's done and interested to see if England, Scotland and N,Ireland follow.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
caz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousMike View Post
I do think WAG need to be careful how the implement this new law and all that and i'll be interested in seeing how it's done and interested to see if England, Scotland and N,Ireland follow.
I agree Mike. I presume that we'll get some literature/bumf through the post sometime soon so it will be interesting to see what options etc are available to people.

caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I do believe within the next few years we'll be getting something. I was also talking to a Plaid Cymru councillor and he was even unsure.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

I am against this.
As someone who knows that my organs will be useless, I specifically don't tick anything saying that they can have my organs. Surely this should be enough? Why the hell do they want us to opt out? So they can log who is being selfish with their organs? I'm sorry but alot of people are going to think this, I think I'm being selfish even though my organs are useless. Get off. They are mine. I can do what I want with them. They are useless anyway. Why should I have to go the extra mile to make sure no one dies from crap organs? Surely it should be opt in as it always has been.
I want to be plactisized anywho.
I don't know, this kinda goes against a person's free will or whatever and I feel really strongly about it.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)