Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

structural dissociation?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or had any experiences with something called structural dissociation? Our therapist human brought it up today and wants to continue discussing it. I guess it is often related to both trauma and DID, but she says she does understand I do not have either of those. I think her point is that it would be a different approach to losing time and how to handle it, as it is not something that I have been able to deal with or make progress on so far. (She says what I refer to as losing time is dissociation but I do not have to call it that if I do not want to.)

I need to follow up with how it would potentially relate to my other new diagnosis, or if it would cancel it out. But I guess this is not a concept I have heard of before, so wondering if anyone else has. She gave me a couple of papers to read and we watched a video with her, but I guess just like. Any other information or experiences would be nice?

Thank you.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 15-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Soft Kitty

I don't have a diagnosis of a dissociative disorder as far as I know, though was assessed with a heavy focus on dissociation last year and unfortunately I can't remember if structural dissociation was mentioned, but I do know there are some good resources out there for info on dissociation and structural dissociation. One which was recommended to me was PODS, there's quite a lot of info on that site and I'm sure I remember seeing about structural dissociation on there recently and finding it very interesting. If I come across it again I'll post a more specific link.

There's also something called Internal Family Systems Therapy which may be worth a read. It assumes we all have 'parts' to our personalities which can come into conflict and how to work through these conflicts.

I don't know if any of this will be any use to you, I wish I could be of more help but I can't properly relate until I see my therapist again and find out more, but that might not be for a long time. I'm rambling, sorry. I hope you get some more helpful answers!

Soft Kitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 01:12 AM   #3
Horizon

I am currently:

"The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization" by Onno van der Hart is a (very dry) book geared mainly toward professionals, I feel. It does go into structural dissociation.

There is also a website called did-research which contains a helpful graphic to help understand structural dissociation as well.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I looked up both websites mentioned (PODS and DID-Research), thank you. Unfortunately both of those seem to relate purely to both DID and trauma. I think I understand the concept in the context of DID, but unsure how it would have anything to do with me, given I don't have DID or trauma. Do either of you know anything that would touch on it outside of the context of DID?

Old 16-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Soft Kitty

I'm not sure of that, Camden, I was thinking the same about there being so little immediate info on structural dissociation outside of trauma. I have read a lot on dissociation recently and there have been mentions about neurological links, I just can't remember where I've seen that. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for you if I do more research. Hope you find the answers you need.

Old 16-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

If you come across anything, yes please let me know. I will ask our therapist human too because I am kind of confused at this point.

I know she has mentioned before that trans folks are often really good at disconnecting from their bodies, and she has also mentioned before that sometimes for some folks being trans in itself and having the experience of being in a body that does not match up with how you identify can be seen as traumatic. So I don't know. I am really confused.

Old 18-03-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I got a bit more explanation today.

Apparently she says that the way the body and the brain respond to stress is pretty much the same as how they respond to trauma. I am constantly under high stress. So that is why it is relevant. And I guess combined with my other new diagnosis, my brain ends up in a state that she calls "survival mode." The problem is the new diagnosis pretty much explains everything except for losing time. So the losing time seems to be explained by structural dissociation. So I guess I need to reread everything and replace trauma with stress.

Old 20-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Soft Kitty

That makes a lot of sense, I hope it was a useful discussion for you.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)