Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
irkeninvader
Tumbling down the rabbit hole

I am currently:
Random Triggering - Question (SI)

How do you deal when you are randomly and unexpectedly triggered?

For example... Part of my job involves subtitling films. Out of the blue, this one scene in a movie just showed a teenage girl get out her cutting kit and start self harming. Whenever something like this happens (which is surprisingly often), I get that rush of sadness and pain even though it's not me, and I immediately want to reach for my own blades. It has been years since I last cut but I still struggle with the urges pretty much daily, and having unexpected triggers makes it really hard to resist.

How do you cope when you're out in the world, pretending to be an adult, and that unexpected trigger throws you back to your teenage self and leaves you wanting to curl up under the desk in a pool of blood and tears? (Note I did cut into my adult years but I still feel like that lost teenager deep down...)

I've come so far, I'm behind again

irkeninvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
meag2301

I am currently:

First of all, thank you for sharing this. It's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling these things. Normally my go to is carrying a giant bottle of ice water with me everywhere I go and holding the ice part calms me down. It may not work for everyone but out of everything I've tried it's the only thing that works.

meag2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
wildly insane

I am currently:

I donít really have an answer but I do hear you. Perhaps taking yourself away from the trigger, go and make a cup of tea, go speak to a colleague about something completely different, text someone you love, something that takes your mind away from it and resets your brain...

"I am me and me is good enough if I would only be it openly"

wildly insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
Oleander
Yarnitarian

I am currently:

I try to remind myself that the person I'm seeing or whatever is not me and that is not now and that things are different. It seems to help me.

Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)