RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
IronManStark
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:
mods and forcibly editing posts

After having several of my posts edited (sorry), I just wanted to put my opinion out there regarding mods coming along and forcibly editing posts.
I believe the mods should, in the cases of accidental infringement like mine where I named the drug I od'd on (please point me to the rule that says drug names in overdose are banned but drugs prescribed are okay, both have potential for overdose (therefore both have the potential to be tip sharing) yet only drugs used in overdose are banned), that the mods should give the user the chance to edit out the rule bending/breaking part, this will allow members the chance to edit it without the mods coming along and editing it forcibly (and if infraction points were to be given it would give the user a chance to avoid the points if they edited the post, and this would hopefully also stop wannabe mods from taking the place of the actual mod staff and telling people to edit posts). Obviously, more serious and deliberate rulebreaking would be handled by the mods as it is now...

Opinions on this suggestion/inquiry?

Ps. On the subject of (accidental) 'tip sharing', I may have only been here a while and therefore not really know anyone, but to assume that I don't care for the members of the site because of one part of one post is a bit of a large assumption. And an incorrect assumption (admittedly one that's irritated me). I try to be kind to and care about everyone regardless.

Pps the reason my visits to this site are so sporadic and infrequent is because of that goddamned motherf***ing 403 error that makes it so damn difficult to get on this site. Ugh. I hate the f***in' thing

Last edited by IronManStark : 22-05-2015 at 06:18 AM.
IronManStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Why would that make a difference to you e

The main reasons for mods to edit posts is so the potentially triggering or tip sharing information gets removed as quick as possible. Not everyone is on here daily and I personally would get upset if a post that triggered me due to rule breaking would be unedited for ages because the poster isn't online.

I don't think points are usually received for accidental rule breaking unless it's something major. If editing your post would automatically exempt you from getting points everyone could break the rules all the time and get away with it that way.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
IronManStark

I am currently:

I did say that serious rule breaking would be dealt with by mods I hadn't thought of the possibility of someone not being online, I simply didn't find it pleasant to be edited by the mods when I'm the sort of person who would edit my own posts if a mod told me to

Old 22-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
IronManStark

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
The thread that is from is here in the First Aid Forum.

First Aid Forum rules apply site wide. I know that is common knowledge, but I currently can't find specifically where it says this.

Asking for experiences and questions about prescribed medication is thus not against the rules, because it's not an overdose and is being taken as told. This does not happen in the First Aid Forum, as one is not actually asking First Aid or medical advice.

If one overdosed on a doctor prescribed medication, they would not be able to say what it was or the amount taken, specific treatment given etc.

Again, hopefully someone else can come along and point to where the rest of this in the rules. The other thing to bear in mind is that the official rules can't be updated, but things such as the ED forum rules apply site wide. The best place to look at rules is in each forum specially, and in the guides created as they will be more up to date.
I thought board specific rule threads only applied to that specific board
it may be useful for us newbies to have a centralised rule board where a compilation of rules goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
As said, posts are edited to get rule breaking info removed as soon as possible. It's also worth noting that you were asked to remove your information and refused, meaning you had time to do it and did not. If you've got an issue with specific moderator action taken, you'd want to discuss it with the moderators privately.

The only issue I have is with the disrespectful member that was acting like a mod, who I did report to the real mods and earlier today I discovered the ignore list, which they are now on

Old 22-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

We do - you had to tick you'd read it when you joined.

Post editing isn't a punishment. I hate it when my posts are edited too, but it's just about making sure everyone is safe - and PMing you, waiting for a reply, then having to check that it was now okay or editing again wouldn't be a very efficient method.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

As Carmen said we only remove rule breaking things, there are times when we have to change the sentence structure of someones post but we try to keep it as much to the original as possible.

If material is tip sharing, whether that's an accident or on purpose it needs to be removed as quick as possible. If we had to wait on everyone edited their own posts it would make the process drag out for much longer, the PRs would have to stay open even longer when we already spend a lot of time trying to keep the PR list as small as possible and not everyone is on here everyday so that could mean it takes an even longer amount of time.

In regards to receiving a warning etc, this only happens when people have already been given a chance to understand the rules and not break them, so if you post about a med name and it's edited, that's fine and you wont get points/an infraction BUT if you continue to do the same rule breaking behaviour it builds up and you start getting warnings and points. We regard talking about medication overdoses as a serious rule breaking issue, it has the potential to cause serious harm and that's why we edit it.

Carmen has answered why it's ok to talk about medication in a non overdose way so I don't need to elaborate on that.

The reason we exist here as moderators is the moderate the site and part of that is being able to quickly remove anything that could be considered potentially dangerous information, if everyone self moderated that would be great but they don't.

If you have an issue with a specific action taken you can contact the moderators email or the head of moderators,or if you feel unable to do that you can contact Harley although I know he is quite sporadic at replying sometimes.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
IronManStark

I am currently:

Makes sense, but I still recommend from a newbie point of view that you create a centralised rules board which contains all the rules that are forum wide on one thread then also have separate threads for each board if there's specific board rules for a given board (it's really not clear that a given board's board rules apply to the whole forum, 'board rules' at least imply it applies to the board alone)

Old 22-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Unfortunately I have no power to edit the rules however there is a rule thread on Ryl somewhere which I'll look out for in a minute.

One of the difficulties as a mod when it comes to tip sharing is at what point do we edit. Some objects are common sense as sharp objects but others aren't. We have young members and members who are suggestible and Ryl needs to protect those members as can you imagine what would happen if member x read a post and acted on it then told their parents that they got the information from RYL! We can minimise this by trying to act on PRs which would be a lot quicker than pming someone etc.

I have had posts edited and I have post reported or edited fellow mods posts we all make mistakes and those mistakes are fine unless done repeatedly.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=171916

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 22-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Iamcatbug
Cat

In terms of the 403 forbidden thing. If you go back into this thread http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=231029
One of the admins has come online and said it may be an ip issue, you need to contact them and they will sort it out for you.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
IronManStark

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Just a thought Cam, would it be possible for you to have an automatic PM sent to every new member, which contains that link?
Good idea. Harley's account already sends an auto-PM to new members so it shouldn't be impossible to append that to it somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I know if I joined a forum, read the rules and ticked the box to complete registration, it would not occur to me to read that thread.

I didn't even know that thread existed and I clearly thought the rules were not as they are so... I didn't read the thread

Old 23-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

That's definitely worth looking into.

Old 30-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
IronManStark

I am currently:

Also see Steel Maiden's thread about the disclaimer that could also be included in the welcome auto-PM, just for legal reasons (no idea about this subject though)

Last edited by IronManStark : 30-05-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)