RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 18-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:
General Medical Question - Non Urgent - Cramping leg

Hi, sorry, this isn't like major or anything but i was wondering...

I often wake up in the middle of the night with my calf muscle (usually left leg, occasionaly right) cramping so painfully i start screaming.

It isn't due to muscle strain as i don't do any sport at the moment.

It's been getting worse recently and i was wondering if anyone knew what could cause it and what i could do to try and help it as at the moment i just wait till the pain finally goes.

Thanks guys, Stay safe,

Ruth
xx

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

One Hug Given By:
Old 18-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
HazardxToxMyselfx3
Time won't heal this damage anymore.

I am currently:

This happens to me too.
What you have to do is when you feel it starting, lay flat, and bring your toes up towards your body and the cramp should subside.

RIP Mike [4.1.06] RIP Grandma [8.2.08]

Jon&Nicole[1.6.09]
Sometimes when i say
"oh i'm fine..."
i want someone to look me in the eyes and say
"tell the t r u t h"

Old 18-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
HazardxToxMyselfx3
Time won't heal this damage anymore.

I am currently:

Oh and if that doesn't help, ice it until the cramp goes away.
<3

RIP Mike [4.1.06] RIP Grandma [8.2.08]

Jon&Nicole[1.6.09]
Sometimes when i say
"oh i'm fine..."
i want someone to look me in the eyes and say
"tell the t r u t h"

Old 18-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Animad

Using heat may help. This tends to be better for muscles than ice is as it helps to relax them whereas ice tends to tense them up.

Try to rotate your foot when it gets bad if this isn't too painful and movre your leg a bit. This can increase the blood supply and so get the lactic acid (the build up of this causes cramping) into your blood and to your liver.

Do you have a restrictive ED/ do you purge (either through vomitting or laxatives)? Are you dehydrated? These factors alter the electrolyte levels in your blood and so can lead to cramping. If you try to ensure your fluid intake is enough and maybe drinks rehydration drinks if you are worried about electrolyte loss/ imbalance you may find it helps. Also, it you do purge or take laxatives then it is a good idea to reduce the amount you do this (if you are abusing laxatives you should seek medical advice before reducing the number you take) and make sure you take in enough water to equalise the amount you have lost through the purging; again, electrolyte/ rehydration solutions would be the best but you should also drink plain water.

Did you start a new med a few days/ up to 2 weeks before you started regularly seeing this problem? If you have this could be the cause of it and if you're wondering about this then talking to your GP would be a good step to take.

Old 18-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

I get this when I am very dehydrated from my ED, so it might be a good idea to make sure you are drinking enough or as Animad suggested, those electrolyte drinks you can buy from the chemist that are designed for replacing electrolytes lost through vomiting/diarrhea(sp???) are good.

xKaylx

Old 18-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

I get it too! So bad that my foot locks down and i have to slam it down onthe floor to get it to release the crap!!!! I don't have any advice... just want to know i know what yuo're going through!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Old 19-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Animad- i have recovered from my ed now so i don't think restrictive/purging is the cause. I think i drink enough but i will endeavor to try and drink more water to see if it helps. I haven't started any new meds although i did recently stop my meds...so maybe...

Hazard- thanks for the advice. i try to bring my toes up when it happens but it tends to make it worse, so i do the opposite and the same. Thanks for thinking of it though and i will keep trying, maybe oneday it will work for me.

Thank you to everyone for replying and taking the time to think of stuff to write - i really appreciate it.

Stay safe,

Ruth

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)