Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:
Community Personality Disorders Service

Hi guys,
I'm sorry to post when I don't usually hang out in this bit of the forum. I was just wondering if anyone had used a service like this, and if anyone had any great tips about how to get the most out of it/what to expect.

I've been under the CMHT for years, but the personality disorders service is a completely new one to me. I got a letter yesterday telling me that I need to attend a multidisciplinary team meeting next Monday and that they'll take it from there. To be honest, I wasn't aware that I'd even be referred, and I'm getting quite worried about it, particularly as I really don't feel that I fit my BPD diagnosis, and this seems a bit like the final nail in the coffin for my attempts to get it removed.

So yeah, thanks for reading, and my apologies if there are other threads like this, I just would be really interested to hear people's experiences. Thanks

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

what_the? is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Anyone? Sorry to bump, I'm just getting really worked up about this.

If anyone's got any experience of stuff along these lines, I'd really appreciate your advice/info. Thanks

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Too Shy

I am currently:

I don't know anything about them (sorry), but I just wanted to say good luck. I hope it goes well, and that some of it is helpful - even if it doesn't feel like you fit the diagnosis, are there any aspects of it that you can relate to which they might to able to focus on it instead of other parts?

Sorry I can't help more, but good luck. :) x

Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Whispered Secret

Had a brief search on google. Just looks to me like a standard community team, in some cases attached to a therapeutic community. I think it may be that it's their aim to get as many people with BPD into a different service rather than them using the CMHT, because a general CMHT is not really set up to help those with personaility disorders.

I can appreciate what you mean about not fitting the BPD diagnosis. But in many ways, fighting against it now will make them think you have BPD even more. You'd be a lot better accepting it and going with it, and then making the decision further down the line that you want it to be reconsidered as a diagnosis.

I'm guessing the community team will vary county to county and depending on pct, but it may be work talking to your CPN if you have one about it.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Thank you, guys.
I've had the diagnosis since I was 19, so it's coming up three years now, and my normal team know how I feel about it, I guess that's why it came as such a shock when I got the referral through.

I had a quick google, but I just got confused because what came up on the search didn't seem to fit with what the leaflet (which was very basic) that came with the referral said. I don't know, I think I'm probably just more scared about a whole new team and new processes etc than anything else. I really appreciate your responses.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Whispered Secret

Maybe it wasn't that they had much choice in referring you, but that it's become common practice and they've been asked to refer all BPD patients to this other service? Is the service new or been set up a while? If it's new it would explain the sudden change.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

Maybe they consider the service as a potential source of support rather than a place to send people with a BPD label.

Go and ask what they offer; I'm sure there is something, label or no label you could benefit from if you are still struggling.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
whirlpools

I agree with everyone. Sometimes PD services take people with Complex Needs as well as people with outright personality disorder diagnoses. I had a quick look online and it looks like there's some additional support they may be able to offer, so maybe focus on that bit? I've used PD services before and they seem the least likely, in some ways, to actually focus on the diagnosis. In my experience they focus more on the individual.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Cedrus

I am currently:

I just wanted to say that I the professionals I've worked for who are there specifically to work with people with PD's are very understanding and compassionate and really consider you as person whith unique needs and difficulties - i went to a TC. The social worker I have now has had experience working with people with borderline pd and she is very good at helping me when i am feeling emotional. I think this could be a positive thing =] Try not to stress too much, when you meet them you will both know if its the right service for you.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Thank you. I'm not sure how long the service has been around. I am going to go, I know it would be stupid not to. I think I'm probably just over thinking.

I know it's worth a shot, and the idea of them not focusing so much on the diagnosis is really helpful, thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
beautifulpain

I am currently:

Iv just been diagnosed with bpd, and they said that the only treatment available there is like a 2year waiting list... so maybe thats why you got the letter so long after your diagnosis.

I'm glad your going, you could find it helpful. good luck xx

beautifulpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
startingagain

I agree with Pilotveteran. My CP has worked in a secure unit for people with PDs and I know that he isn't going to think anything of my because of my PD. Also he doesn't agree with labels and treats me as an individual.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your insights. I'd not considered that I might have been on a list for ages.

I think it's just that I had no idea I'd even been referred that threw me a little bit. Seriously though, thanks

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)