Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
wi-nter

I am currently:
eating on vacation

I don't know what I need to hear or what I am asking from you guys but I just need to get this out.

I saw a counselor today and told her about the war in my head and how everything is too much and how food and weight loss have been dictating my life lately and she said she is going to refer me to a psychologist. this was a huge step for me but it also terrifies me SO much. i am going on vacation on saturday for three weeks and while i can't wait it's like it's the worst thing happening to me right now. i sound so ungrateful but i am so scared about eating and gaining weight on my vacation. i excercise A LOT here and i know i wont be able to do that on vacation. at least not to the extent i do it here. i can't eat the way i do at home where i can cook for myself especially because my sister will be so suspicious and i cant just skip meals. i am so terrified i will gain weight and hate myself even more after i come back. it took me so long to get to where i am now and i dont want the three weeks to throw me back.
and i know how effed up all this thinking is and how much energy it costs me ad i wish i didnt have to thinnk about it.

maybe some of you have some positive thoughts or tips or something?
thank you,
Nadine

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

wi-nter is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Can you take some foods you find safe with you or approximate similar things to help you out? I found that helped me a lot when I travelled recently- stuck with safe foods and had a few planned things I wanted to eat when I was there. I hope you can sort something out so that you can enjoy your holiday

So she lights up a candle for hope to be found
Captive and blind by the darkness around
Each wave a promise, a new hope reborn
Sunrise consoles at the break of dawn

Kamelot - A Sailorman's Hymn Lyrics

LittleCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
wi-nter

I am currently:

since I have been to the US before I know it is (compared to Europe) cheap to eat out and I know they have all this amazing stuff that will trigger me. I usually stick to fruits and vegetables ...
i have already promised my sister we will try in and out burger which is supposed to be great and it will be a challenege but it's food i like but i will hate myself afterwards.
is there anyone from the US here who can tell me where to eat food that is not too heavy and greasy or like what to buy at a grocery store?

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 24-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
marimar

Hi. I completely understand what you mean as I also hadsimilar feelings when going on a holiday. Think your destination doesn’tinfluence the way you feel that much, you’d probably feel similar wherever yougo as traveling means you won’t be able to stick to your routine and will beout of your safe zone.

On the other hand, think about the opportunity you have:traveling with your sister to another continent, experiencing differentculture, meeting interesting people, it’s soooooo amazing and not everyone hasa chance to do it. Try looking at it from that perspective, maybe it will helpyou relax a bit. After you come back you will have all these amazing stories totell to other people and I’m sure you’d rather have this great, full ofadventures trip than a trip full of obsessing about food.

Another thing that might help is trying to structure yourmeals somehow. Do you have regular hours when you eat? If so, try and stick tothem on holiday too, have 3 meals as that will give you some stability. Goodthing now-a-days is that you can find some safe food almost everywhere so don’tworry, wherever you go, you’ll be able to find some vegies, fruits and salads.Don’t be ashamed to ask what goes in which meal on the menu (I always do that,it’s a normal thing) and if they put something you don’t like, just ask themnot to put it. That way, you’ll be able to enjoy eating out but with the foodyou’re comfortable with.

I really hope that you won’t let the food issues ruin yourholiday. Have a great time, enjoy as much as you can and keep in mind that 3weeks is a short period and whatever you do or eat won’t be visible after 3weeks J

marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
wi-nter

I am currently:

^thank you so much your words and support mean a lot to me. It's been going oaks so far I have days where I struggle a lot when everything seems so much. Sometimes I just have a salad or just a really small portion and my sister notices and I know she does which is the hardest part for me.
But I have actually had frozen yoghurt and a frappucchino which I am super proud of. I am currently having two proper meals a day and fruit in between. I still feel fatter somehow and wish I could work out. Yesterday the anxiety of gaining weight was so much I wish I could have hurt myself to make it stop. I struggle a lot but it's only one more week until I go back to my safe place.
I am still so grateful to have had the opportunity for this trip I know I am blessed not a lot if people get to do that

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 28-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
marimar

Hey sooo proud of you for managing the anxiety. I know it’shard, especially if you know reasonably you should be enjoying and somehow it’shard.
Don’t know how close you are with your sisterbut maybe you could confide in her, she could be able to help. When I was atone of my worse periods, my brother helped a lot. He didn’t understand what exactlywas going on but I told him it’s been hard for me, I can’t manage and heaccepted it and try to help food wise

marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Well done you!!! You've done so, so well and even if your sister sees that you're struggling I'm sure that she sees your courage!! Just one more week, like you say, and I hope that you can enjoy some of the foods you're trying. You did it, no matter how scary. Noone can take that from you <3

Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
wi-nter

I am currently:

I MADE IT. it was so hard, i struggled so much and i wish i didnt because there were so many things i denied myself i would have loved to try.
its ridiculous. i even lost weight whih i never thought possible.
even though i enjoyed my vacation so so much i am still so happy to be home where i can plan my own meals and control the food i eat more.

the counselor i mentioned in early posts never got back to me... i dont know what to do now.....

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #9
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Well done!!!! You should be so proud because it's harder than it sounds. It's great you could try some new things- there will surely be a next time to try more!! Hope you're still a safe weight.

Old 13-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
wi-nter

I am currently:

i am so hungry lately and being at home means i have food available 24/7 and its not good for me nad i feel horrible and i dont know whta to do

i feel disgusting. this is all so pathetic :(

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 14-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #11
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I'm sorry that food has gotten difficult now you're home. Do you think it would help to plan out your day, food-wise, so that it causes less anxiety during the day?

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
wi-nter

I am currently:

i have been kinda trying to do that. i usually stick to two meals a day and i try to plan in advance. breakfast for me is always the same but lately i havent even felt safe with that. my mom brought me all this candy and i have tons of it laying around and its horrible to know its there because i usually eat some of it and i have been taking it to work just so i dont have to eat it or look at it at home.
ive gone to weighing my food to know my exact calorie intake. and i hate myself for it. i just want to eat pasta like i used to but i cant get myself to eat it even though i have tons in the house from my mom and my room mate. ugh :(

do you guys have any meals that make you feel safe and would maybe share with me?

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 15-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #13
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I wonder if it would help to put the food away, so that it causes you less anxiety? It's good that you've taken some to work so you feel better.

Do you think you could remove or hide the scales so you're less tempted to weigh food?

I would have thought safe foods would vary from person to person - have you thought about looking at recipe sites (like ASDA or tesco) for ideas that you might be more inclined to eat?

Old 15-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Like Sophia said, foods vary, but what do you like?
I'm huge on vegetables- stirfries are good; eggs sometimes work

Old 15-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
wi-nter

I am currently:

I keep buying food which doesnt help so i have a lot in the house. i should just stop buying food so i wont be tempted to eat it.
yeah i eat a lot of stir fry its like the only thing with fish and chicken that doesn't cause anxiety. i somehow feel worst after eating carbs. do you have any suggestions for breakfast?

it would be really nice to hide certain things like the scale but i have a room mate and it's her stuff and she is moving out next week so i can't really hide her stuff.
ugh i wish i could throw out everything bad to feel better but my mom bought so much of it and i can't take that, throwing away her money. she cares so much, it was so nice of her to buy food for me for when i get back from my vacation.

i ate so much today i feel like a whale. :(

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 16-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

If you are looking for breakfast foods that are low in carbs I recommend eggs as there is quite a lot you can do with them. It's important though to have enough carbs in your diet, though I understand you struggle with that atm.

Your body will keep making you eat loads as long as you restrict. it's asking to get what it missed out on. When you say you eat too much are you genuinely eating over your RDA or does it just feel like too much because it's more than you would like to eat?

:skull emoji:

"... but me? Me? I am a thousand years old, you can't kill me!"

Unbreakable. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

For not wanting to throw food out that you won't eat atm: I found it helpful to put non perishable food like pasta into some boxes that I stored out of sight.

:skull emoji:

"... but me? Me? I am a thousand years old, you can't kill me!"

Unbreakable. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
wi-nter

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Y View Post
If you are looking for breakfast foods that are low in carbs I recommend eggs as there is quite a lot you can do with them. It's important though to have enough carbs in your diet, though I understand you struggle with that atm.

Your body will keep making you eat loads as long as you restrict. it's asking to get what it missed out on. When you say you eat too much are you genuinely eating over your RDA or does it just feel like too much because it's more than you would like to eat?
i like eggs but i cant have them for breakfast because somehow they make me feel sick early in the morning :( at the moment the only meal with carbs i eat is breakfast i won't let myself have them in any other meal of the day.

i just feel like it is too much i want to eat less. i want to be strong enough to eat less. i feel guilty every time i have food and it's getting to a point where i can't live with myself anymore. it's driving me insane :(

ps: i love your sarah signature! (:

pain breeds wolves
joys give rise to moons

Old 17-08-2014, 03:13 AM   #19
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Have you tried varying the method (I mean like, eggs can be cooked in different ways)? It sounds like things are starting to become rather difficult in terms of unravelling out of control, and I wondered if it was worth paying a visit to a counsellor you saw before who might be able to suggest a way forward?

Old 17-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
LittleCloud
LittleCloud

I am currently:

Could you try yoghurt for breakfast?- great protein and really nice with some fruit. I understand- carbs terrify me but using things like fruits to sneak them into my diet seems to help a lot with energy. Dried fruit is also pretty good if you have to eat and run

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)