RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
LRgrad15

Is depressive realism true?

I’ve wondered if depressive realism is true or not. I am one of thos people that is right in the middle, not overly optimistic but not overly pessimistic. I like to think realistically and see things for how they are rather than have constant wishful thinking. But I hear that those with mild depression actually see things for how they actually are more accurately. Is this true? I was just wondering.

Old 25-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Soft Kitty

I think it is, yes, but that might just be my personal opinion. I also only think it counts to a degree, as depression can also distort feelings and perceptions. I guess it's about what you do with it, if anything. I choose to enjoy moments where I can and this can lift my spirits, even if just temporarily. Other people choose to engage in activism to try and make changes where they can. I do think there's a certain level of 'delusion' most of us live in otherwise we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning!

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Stellata

I guess this explains why my Depression is still Moderate.....!!! My mind constantly distorts how things are.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #4
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Kitty View Post
I think it is, yes, but that might just be my personal opinion. I also only think it counts to a degree, as depression can also distort feelings and perceptions. I guess it's about what you do with it, if anything. I choose to enjoy moments where I can and this can lift my spirits, even if just temporarily. Other people choose to engage in activism to try and make changes where they can. I do think there's a certain level of 'delusion' most of us live in otherwise we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning!
Totally agree. It would have to be depression at it's mildest form. Like borderline depression because, yes, severe depression distorts thoughts and beliefs in a negative manner that is completely unhealthy and gloomy, while people who are overly optimistic seem to be naive to the possibility that not everything will go right or that they will not get everything they want or even may think they are liked or more popular way more and by way more people than they really are. I think in a sense, mild depression kind of allows people to see things in a realistic viewpoint. However, I would never encourage someone to become depressed. You can be realistic without being depressed.

Old 26-03-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellata View Post
I guess this explains why my Depression is still Moderate.....!!! My mind constantly distorts how things are.
Yeah if it is a more severe form of depression, then perceptions are way more impacted negatively than mild depression where people may appear to have a slightly more negative, yet realistic viewpoint on how things really are.

Old 26-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Stellata

Ah ok.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellata View Post
Ah ok.
Yeah, at least from what I understand it.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Successful.Failure
I have no control.

I am currently:

Studies have shown that intelligent people can be more susceptible to depression because they have a more realistic view of the world, and it turns out that the world can be pretty depressing. I think in a way, it can be a vicious circle for some people.

In this house, we stan the Diamondbacks.

Successful.Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Successful.Failure View Post
Studies have shown that intelligent people can be more susceptible to depression because they have a more realistic view of the world, and it turns out that the world can be pretty depressing. I think in a way, it can be a vicious circle for some people.
Yeah that makes sense and I totally agree. There are times where just seeing how things can really be makes me feel down. It can be depressing at times when you take off the rose colored glasses.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)