Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Mihashi

I am currently:
Forgetfulness tips?

I just missed a critical doctor's appointment, and not for lack of remembering in recent days. I called the office yesterday to make sure I knew where I was going to go, and yet in the time I needed to remember to get out of the house, it escaped my brain. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it's given me quite an awakening because I've been fearing something like this for a very long time, and I've been doing my best to combat it. I've made many an appointment, but this is the 2nd doctor's appointment I've missed due to forgetfulness, and the first that's as important as this (long story about it). The point here I must emphasize though, is that this appointment has been on the cards for the better part of the year. It's not like I just made it last week. So I've been thinking about it for a long time, yet I still missed it.

I can go in very lengthy depth on why I have no excuse for this, what I feel about it, and what this could potentially mean for the future. But that's not what this thread is about.

The thing here is that my forgetfulness has been a major aspect of my life, and has manifested from simply losing my phone, wallet or keys on the daily, forgetting to do chores and other work, all the way up to the scenario described above. It's definitely hindered my ability to function as an adult because, well, how can I expect to do anything if I keep forgetting about it? My fiancee has become visibly annoyed at this after a few years, and he's far too good for me to take lightly. So, I want to at least make this up to him. What are some of the best ways to get better at fighting forgetfulness?

Keep in mind, I've tried calendar after calendar. From paper to digital, it boils down to the same problem - I keep forgetting to set or check that as well.

Thanks

Mihashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
MissGranger

I am currently:

Sorry to hear you're struggling with forgetfulness. I too struggle with this at times. Have you tried setting alarms on your phone and giving each alarm a name e.g. "doctors appointment at 10am?"

MissGranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Mihashi

I am currently:

Yes and no. I've done the notifications thing. What ends up happening is that more often than not, it'll simply be a routine thing on my phone that I see before I log into it, and I mentally dismiss it.

Now, what I haven't done yet is done something with sounds. I've looked a little bit into that in the past, but if there was some way I could put different notification sounds on my phone, then I might be able to remember what's what.

A caveat to this though, is simply remembering to go and do that. Another is the battery on my phone - which powers off shortly after reaching under 50% and I forget for hours to days to plug the phone back in.

Mihashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)