Live Help

Forum Jump

Old 19-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Shenanigans
Set up an IV of sanity

I am currently:
Gestational diabetes

So, family and friends have noted they are concerned I may have developed gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and I have an appointment to see my midwife in about 2 weeks.

I'm not overly concerned as the symptoms that are worrying them aren't exactly uncommon in pregnancy: excessive thirst, peeing a lot, sickness, very large bump (water retention? I'm far bigger than I should be but everyone is different.) I have been feeling unwell lately, but that could also just be general pregnancy bleh. This is my first pregnancy to go to this term and my mum has just been diagnosed with diabetes so I fit a few risk factors I guess.

I'm just wondering if it's really worth making a doctors appointment for when I'm seeing the midwife and she'll be testing me for it then anyway? I'm reluctant to see my doctors if it's not really needed because I honestly can't be bothered if it's something that can wait 2 weeks. But, obviously, if I should be taking this a bit more seriously than I'll make an appointment after the weekend.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

You see a mouse trap
I see free cheese
And a ****ing challenge

3 Hugs Given By :
Old 19-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

As far as I know, 22 weeks is very early for gestational diabetes to set in, but I'm sure it's entirely possible! As your mother has diabetes you should be offered a test for gestational diabetes at 24-28 weeks anyway, but as you're experiencing several symptoms, I think you should see your GP before the next midwife appointment. It could well just be general pregnancy stuff, but it also might not be and it would be better to check.

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Old 19-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I know my area tests for GD at 28 weeks, so I'd imagine that's about when it becomes apparent. Doctors may not be able to do the GD test, I have to go to the hospital for mine. But they can check your urine for glucose, which would be a warning sign. I'd give your midwife a call and ask her opinion, she might say to go see your GP or she may bring your appointment forward. But try not to worry, it's very treatable.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Old 19-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

^calling the midwife is an excellent idea, didn't think of that!

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Old 19-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
^calling the midwife is an excellent idea, didn't think of that!
It's the best thing about midwives. It's great being able to pick up the phone and check something is ok. Really wish I could do the same with my GP!

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Old 19-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Shenanigans
Set up an IV of sanity

I am currently:

I never thought of calling my midwife either! I'll try to dig out her number (she gave it to me at the first appointment but I've never actually called her.) Hopefully, it also has her name on it because I can't remember that either (awkward!)

I'm honestly not too worried, I just assumed it was all pregnancy stuff and to be expected. The only thing that does worry me slightly is the thirst thing, because it is a bit excessive. I'm far more thirsty than I am hungry and I'm going through way over 3 liters of liquid a day easily whereas I'm hardly hungry at all. I have been making extra effort to make sure I'm eating at least 3 times a day though. Then again, I have more blood and stuff in me so maybe it's not so abnormal.

Thanks for the advice :)

You see a mouse trap
I see free cheese
And a ****ing challenge

Old 19-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Hey,

I would definitely call your midwife and speak to her about it.

Diabetes of any form can be dangerous and the sooner you get it checked out the sooner it can be sorted if it is diabetes. If you're getting thirsty to the point of dehydration it is something to get checked out.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Old 20-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
Just a girl, Interrupted.
drowning in a sea of tears

I am currently:

Definitely call the midwife. If you do have gd catching it early is better. I was tested at 15/16 weeks, and again around 32 weeks. Luckily I didn't have it.
Do you have your notes? The midwifes name and number was near the front of mine

Nobody knows, nobody cares that I die on the inside
Nobody sees the lie that is me, as I smile on the outside

Old 20-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Imperfect.Star

Have you had your 12 and 20 week scans? They are important for assessing the baby's size which is one of the most important reasons for concern about gestational diabetes. It would also provide information as to why you seem big for dates.
Speaking to your midwife is a good plan. Although they will routinely check your sugars during pregnancy, especially with your risk factors she can probably arrange a check if you're concerned. It is better to catch early.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Old 22-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Animad

Yep, as the others have said call the midwife and/ or speak to your GP. This is something that shouldn't be left as it may be gestational diabetes, at which point it needs treatment sooner rather than later as, if left, it will affect both yours and your babies health. Alongside that, as you've got these signs but haven't seen anyone about it then it could be something else and problems with your kidneys can often show up with very similar signs and this needs to be ruled out

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)