RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #341
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

Zombie..
I think the answer to your question about whether or not you should clean your screen is a definite no. I say this because with obsessive compulsive disorder one of the ways to combat this is to not engage in the compulsions. Since this seems like one that you might be able to control, I think refraining from doing it could potentially be a great first step on working through some of the behaviors.

Angels are friends who support you when your wings forget to fly.

Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #342
Emmabob.

I am currently:

this may be rambly & make no sense whatsoever, but is it "normal" for things to change, as in the things u do & the stuff which will apparently happen if u dont do it? :S

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #343
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

Emma, it's interesting that you ask that because I have been wondering the same thing. I am not sure if it is "normal" but I know that definitely happens to me. I get a rule and then sometimes it will go away or change in some way. I do have rules that stay the same though, for example my food rules have been the same since I was very young but I had a rule awhile ago that I had to read all things misspelled or periods that were in a row or really any punctuation that was in a row, out loud but now that rule has ceased for the most part. I wonder if others have experienced this as well

Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #344
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

yeah, thats normal... even the entire "flavor" can change... one of my therapists said that its like playing whack-a-mole, obsessions and compulsions morph, and the focus of them can change. sometimes i still have trouble where i'll get one set of fear under control (like ones related to schoolwork) but in the process of doing that i'll develop a new set of fears (like my current scrupulosity)

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #345
Zombie..

I am currently:

I saw my psych and told him what was going on he says i have OCD
He is getting my family Dr to give medication for it and he is going to ask that i get psychotherapy will that be DBT OR CBT ?

Zombie.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #346
foreverstrong33
skyscraper

I am currently:

my thing is i have to count things all the time.. and i mean all the time. And everything has to be an odd number and can not be a multiple of 5...weird i know

foreverstrong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #347
PassedExpectations

I am currently:

CBT, specifically ERP (exposure response/ritual prevention) is by far the best. DBT, interpersonal therapy, or regular talk therapy do very little

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

Katie

Old 22-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #348
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

Tonight has been a rough ocd night, I think it's because I am almost completely off of benzos so anxiety is becoming more

I am watching a television show and I am having an issue where sometimes someone says something and I have to repeat it but I have to kind of enunciate each word and say it over again until it feels "right", then after I am finished sometimes I have to pop my fingers to make sure that everything is okay (or that I did it enough) if I can't get a finger to pop the way I need it to (or sometimes a toe) I have to snap my fingers five times on each hand. I am supposed to see a psychiatrist on August first, hopefully he can give me something to help or maybe just suggestions Beverly hasn't given me yet, we will see. I'm not really a fan of mental health medications but I recognize how much worse the ocd is getting so I just feel like I need to do something to kind of scwelter it, at least enough to not continue to get worse

Old 22-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #349
PassedExpectations

I am currently:

http://www.rogersinhealth.org/resour...d-ocd-recovery
http://www.rogersinhealth.org/resources/erp

these are bits of some interviews i did around this time last year about my ocd that have finally been put up... the other ones in the video library are pretty good as well (though perhaps i just think that cause i know a fair number of the other interviewees), and i thought they might be helpful for people (i'm also proud of myself lol, and kinda just want to share)... i also just came back from the iocdf conference where i gave a talk for the first time, so i'm feeling relaly happy about that even though my perfectionism is trying to get me to go back over what i said again and again until i make myself feel that i did badly, but i'm fighting the urge to ruminate and am having mostly success so far :) totally planning on speaking again next year. i've also gotten involved with beginning a camp for kids with ocd, so am super excited about that, even though it will probably be a ton of work

solstice (and i'm sorry i can't remember your name, i was trying to learn so many names over the weekend that the name section of my brain is absolutely fried), i'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it *hugs* switching between meds can be really difficult.

foreverstrong, having obsessions with numbers isn't really uncommon for ocd, even though it tends to be less talked about than some other manifestations... is it really getting in the way of your life right now?

Last edited by PassedExpectations : 22-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Katie

Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #350
Zombie..

I am currently:

Its been a few months since i was given the OCD diagnoses i haven't heard anything about therapy i have to struggle on with things
My mind is going over and over things all the time scared that am going to do something bad to other people or to myself... i have to count 1...2...3...1...2...3...1...2...3... over and over

Zombie.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #351
PassedExpectations

I am currently:

i know there is an app that has been developed as a ocd treatment tool…ocdfree or something… maybe you could look into that. it wouldn't replace in life therapy, but it might help you to start recovering on your own

Katie

Old 16-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #352
Out and Proud
Schizophrenic

I am currently:

Hello. I was diagnoised with OCD on the 2 December and am trying to stop this one habit that i trying the most to stop which is licking the lightswitches, every sinlge one that is in a room before i leave the room, if i dont do it then i just cannot leave the room :/

I love you Tyson, R.I.P my love, 23/2/1993 - 11/11/2013

It's over, I quit.
I'm about as lifeless as it gets
It's not like I'm worth saving anyway.
I don't belong here, I never really wanted to be here.
Why can't somebody else take my place?

Out and Proud is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)