RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Twisted Fate

I am currently:
Any Mac people out there?

The window's people have a thread so it's only fair to make one for Mac people. So who else has a Mac? I just got one over the summer and love it. I've never had a problem with it. My Dell however gives me hell. Oh and something cool about Mac's I found is that you can change the settings so that it's voice activated! You can name it and talk to it to make it do things. It's fun to have it on voice commands when people are around. You get a lot of strange looks.

Forget the risk and take the fall if it's what you want it's worth it all

Twisted Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
sweetsunday

i havent got one =[ but i have been on them and they are lussssh i really want one but im poor and they're expensive! one day i will get one!

Old 20-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
TheCon

I've got a mac, it's my baby.
I could NEVER go back to windows, unless i was poor and this one died and I couldnt afford a new one.

Old 20-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

TheCon I'm the same way. I'm never going back except those horrid times when the only computer at home that has internet is the Dell >< and when I have to use the window's in the computer lab to print things off because I don't have a printer in my dorm.

Old 20-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
PrincessVegeta_x
I'm epic!

I am currently:

I have a Macintosh! It's a Macbook Air version OS X 10.5 Leopard and I love it. I got it last year, after I decided that my iMac was out of date and I needed the new OS. Plus, I just wanted a Macbook Air! They are so thin, sleek and I love the design. It's so lightweight, almost makes me worry when I'm carrying it around!

Like everybody else here, I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO WINDOWS.
x

"How can I be a gynecologist? I can barely look a woman in the eye!"

If you like Glee & have a thing for the Kurt/Blaine pairing please click this link, thx! x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvJULBFYz4

PrincessVegeta_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
momo432

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCon View Post
I've got a mac, it's my baby.
I could NEVER go back to windows, unless i was poor and this one died and I couldnt afford a new one.
agree :)

love them! and they look so much nicer than boring windows ones!!

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

momo432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
~invisible~girl~

I've been a Mac user my whole life. And I mean really my whole life, which, considering the first Mac went on sale less than three years before I was born, is not so common. I played Reader Rabbit and Kid Pix (in black and white) on my mom's old Mac, a MacSE I think, in preschool (incidentally, we have that computer in the basement, and it still works!). And although that's the first Mac I remember using, it's actually at least the second one my parents had (I don't remember what model the the older one is, I think it's a Mac Plus though, but it's also still the in basement, and also still works except that it demands a floppy disc with an old version of the Mac OS to start up!). I don't know for sure, but just knowing my dad, he probably had an original Mac when the first came out in 1984, and I'm pretty sure he at least had a Mac Plus within a few months after they came out in 1986, a few months before I was born.

The first computer I had that I didn't have to share even with my sister was my dad's old PowerBook that he gave me when we moved to California (when I was 11) and we didn't have anywhere to put a computer for my sister and I to share (she got our old computer in her room, and being the older sibling, I got the PowerBook, which was newer). I thought it was unbelievably cool that it had a whole 1GB of disk space (which actually did take years to fill up back then). Then I had an orange iMac, which was replaced with an iBook when I started high school (my parents didn't believe I'd need a laptop when I got the iMac, even though I begged them for one, so I never did have a clamshell iBook, which I always wanted just for how cool they looked). That was replaced with a PowerBook when I left for college (university), which was then replaced with a newer PowerBook when, um, I dropped it, and last year, a MacBook Pro cause I really wanted one (among other things, I had all this Windows software I for science courses I was taking that I wanted to be able to run, but of course by the time I actually got a MacBook, I didn't need that software anymore and still haven't actually installed Windows even though I even have a legit copy of XP left over from an old copy of Virtual PC... I also wanted the accelerometer, but I couldn't really justify buy a new computer just so it could make light-saber sounds when I swing it...), although my PowerBook still works (and it plays Region 2 DVDs while my MacBook plays Region 1 ), just not as fast as my MacBook.

And in 22 years as a Mac user, I've only had one computer actually die (not counting the one I dropped), although I don't know about the status of my old iMac or the old Mac my sister and I shared back in Pittsburgh we sold/gave away those when we replaced them, and even the iBook (the one that died) was several years after I'd replaced it anyway until it stopped working -- all the rest still work perfectly. I still occasionally get out my old PowerBook (the one from when I was 11) to play SimCity or Glider when both my newer PowerBook and my current computer are busy (it does happen -- don't ask me how) and I need something to do. On the other hand, when we moved my dad got a Windows laptop because he needed it for work for some reason (although I don't know why, considering he works at Pixar, and they're very much Mac-friendly as they have strong enough ties to Apple, through Steve Jobs, that they even get employee discounts on Apple products), and although he only used them for a year or two, neither one still works, and he eventually threw them out (so when I needed something to run some old Windows software, there wasn't anything, whereas, besides that Macs are pretty much entirely back-compatible apart from the one transition from Classic to OSx, I could pull out an old Mac to run pretty much any Mac software I could find from pretty much as long as Macs have existed).

Macs have always been way better for graphics than Windows machines (which is one reason my dad has always used them -- he was a computer graphics professor for 10 years before he went to Pixar, and before that he was involved in various research that I'm pretty sure included graphics considering he offered a place as a computer graphics professor, and basically guaranteed tenure, straight after), and although my understanding is that the original Mac wasn't otherwise as powerful as other personal computers of its time (which was pre-Windows -- its main competition would have been MS-DOS machines -- the Mac was the first commercially successful product with a GUI and a mouse, consistent with the emphasis on graphics), Macs passed their competition a few years later, and have pretty much stayed ahead ever since. The downside to Macs (besides the cost, but you get what you pay for) from about the mid-1990s until a few years ago has been the lack of software availability compared to Windows machines, but that was entirely fixed with the Intel Mac, since Macs can now run Windows as necessary. So basically Macs are now the best personal computers available, and the only logical reason to have a Windows machine is if you can't afford a Mac. The only other reason people seem to want Windows machines over Macs is that they're simply too stuck in their ways to switch to something better

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

~invisible~girl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Yes yes and yes.
That is all.
I will come back to this.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
XxXflowerfairyXxX

I am currently:

<3 mon macbook

XxXflowerfairyXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
the sky belongs to you
such a catastrophe

once you go mac you never go back.

i have an imac and a macbook. i can do so much cool networking stuff like share itunes libraries, transfer files instantly and operate the screen of one computer from the other.

<3 leopard.

x

we're falling apart, together.

why can't i feel anything for anyone other than you?

don't go

the sky belongs to you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
miss_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sky belongs to you View Post
once you go mac you never go back.
i love it!

i can't beat invisible girl's 22 years, but i'm not too far behind. my first computer was actually an atari, but then wen i was 14 / 15 ('94ish) my dad upgraded and i got his SE30, then he upgraded again about 5 years later and again i got his old machine.

in about 2001/2 i bought a ruby red imac and adored it. earlier this year i remplaced it with one of the new imacs, so now i love this one the best.

when i was in hospital i bought a PC laptop cus i wanted to do stuff but couldn't afford a macbook. that was 2006, and when moving files and transfering stuff accross to the new machine i found it was slower (as well as clunkier and less elegant) than the old imac.

the only thing is, what do i do with my old red imac? this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imac.jpg (20.3 KB, 5 views)

"Thinking is the most unhealthy thing in the world"
(Oscar Wilde)

miss_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

First computer I bought myself was an iBook G3 (not the clam shell version though). Not long after that I started assembling my own PC's so I have always bounced around between camps. I think I am mostly notebooks = Mac and desktops = PC

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
the sky belongs to you
such a catastrophe

just sayin'

microsoft have had to lay off 5000 employees while apple have just recorded a growth in sales.

pwn.

x

we're falling apart, together.

why can't i feel anything for anyone other than you?

don't go

the sky belongs to you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Puppet Strings
commonplace.

I'd love to own a Mac I think, but it's getting around to having the money, deciding which one I'd have, whether it'd actually be a good decision for me. Part of me wonders if I just want one for all the hype they cause, and how aesthetically appealing they are, but then I guess they're not bad excuses!

x

I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

:heart:

Puppet Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
The One Who

I am currently:

I love my Mac, but they're so expensive for what they are. Unless you are doing something Macs are known for such as graphics then they are really expensive.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
Everything Inside

I am currently:

i have a Mac. ive had it for 18 months roughly i bought it for school work. but i would NEVER go back to a Windows.
i bought a pc laptop 4 months ago as my mum finds it easy to use she has no patients with my mac but ive spent £50 on it already! Macs maybe expensive but any problem (ive had 2) you go the the shop explain they have a quick nose tell you what to do. so your not spending money on top, by the time you have all your windows its probably not a lot of price difference!

yes im trying to sell it to you and no i do not work for them :P

Blink 182
"With All Of This I Know Now,
Everything Inside Of My Head.
It All Just goes To Show How Nothing I Know Changes Me At All."

All Of This

Everything Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
The One Who

I am currently:

Yeah, but you can get a £300 laptop that will do everything that most people require. A Mac doesn't really do the basics (word processing, internet, etc) any better than a Windows computer.

I got a Mac because I prefer the OS to that of Windows. It think everything looks better. But I'm not one of these people who put down Windows at every opportunity.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #18
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

I just remembered something. You can get a discount on a Mac if you are a student or teacher. It helps a bit. I got the student discount on mine.

Old 28-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
blankscars

I am currently:

I've had a mac for about 19 months now and I love it. It's a pity that there are only windows computers at uni.

blankscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
miss_kitty

when i was at uni doing english lit i used to sneak into the media studies mac room. i became known to the guy in charge, and he was happy to help me - it hink just cus he likes mac people

"Thinking is the most unhealthy thing in the world"
(Oscar Wilde)

miss_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)