RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
nonperson

I am currently:
New laptop advice!

Hi folks.

Thought I'd ask all you internet people for your opinions on laptops.

I'm looking to get a new one - I'm currently using a Dell Vostro which was free as it came second/third/possibly fourth hand from the ex's work a couple of years ago... and the battery is completely kaput now... and so now I want a new proper one of my own.

Mostly it's going to be for internet use, some Word documents, etc... but also maybe photo editing if I decide to get back into that again. It doesn't need to be particularly portable as it'll probably just be used at home.

What I really really really want is a Microsoft Surface! <3 But that's completely out of my price range, hah. But I'm open to suggestions of any price. I'm not even sure what brands are considered "good" any more.

Thanks in advance.

Old 20-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Do you want to game? If you want to game at some point you need more memory than usual and a better processor (at least an i5).

I like Windows computers since you can do more with them and cheaper. If you have a problem, you can throw a stick and hit 12 people who can fix it for you. Apple isn't as self-helpy and maybe you need to buy AppleCare.

Personally I dont like laptops because I find them underpowered, and with harsh screens and low resolutions that ruin photos etc. I see them as strictly a mobile option for when I need to take a computer away from home.

I find many people have laptops they dont use anymore, and that's how I usually get a laptop. I bought one once (around 15 years ago) and took it back after a week. Currently I have 3 laptops and a tablet (hate tablets) that I dont use.

Be careful of models that have been out for awhile and selling very cheap. Very often the makers have filled the innards with inferior parts. You dont get a nice laptop cheap but a sketchy laptop cheap

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Old 20-05-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
nonperson

I am currently:

Thanks.

I don’t plan on using it for gaming but will definitely get an i5 or above.

Definitely want Windows. I do have an iPhone so did consider Apple extremely briefly. Fine for a phone but not for a laptop, I think.

A laptop is fine for what I need it for and the screens are much better nowadays. I don’t have a desk or a big enough lap to put a desktop PC on.

I don’t really want second hand. I want to be able to choose and spec it myself and not have an already knackered battery!

Old 24-05-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
Isoverity

I am currently:

Screens have gotten better on the more expensive models. I would go by keyboards. I have to have an illuminated keyboard thats not chatty

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Old 24-05-2018, 02:01 AM   #5
nonperson

I am currently:

Well I’m not looking to go uber cheap. Forgot about keyboard noisiness. Guess I’ll actually have to go to some shops and look at some in the flesh... =/

Old 24-05-2018, 02:17 AM   #6
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

Solid state drive if you can afford the extra. I've got an SSD and it's awesome! Never known anything start up/respond so quickly. I've got backlit keyboard, which is super helpful as I'm often on my laptop in bed with the light off. Get as much RAM as you can afford. I have 4gb, which is OK for what I use it for (the internet, Spotify and Microsoft Office), but if you can get more then do as it'll last you longer. :)

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Old 24-05-2018, 03:12 AM   #7
nonperson

I am currently:

Yes I want to make it as future proof as possible. A lot of the ones I’ve been looking at seem to have 8GB of RAM.. =o

Old 25-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Are you looking into second hand shops. I picked up one 5 years ago from secondhand shop and it abslutely perfect me, i don't use all the time as it's windows and i own macbook but it's small compact and rather suitable for every day general usage. It was seventy quid plus i traded in a few games, boxsets and I've only just had picked up from the repair shop as I upgraded it to windows 10 and to have all the bugs removed but it's perfect.

Perhaps try cash converters or cex?

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 25-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
nonperson

I am currently:

Nah, I want new. Want to know exactly where it's been/how it's been used beforehand. Can understand secondhand being cheaper but spending more isn't an issue.

Also, I'd rather buy online... Not very good at dealing with shops!

Old 26-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

This is most likely not helpful but I wanted to say that I have a MacBook and find it far, far better than any laptop I've had. I've had absolutely no problems with it at all whereas i've gone through so many other kinds of laptop.

Is there a relevant Which? guide that might be useful for you?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

Old 26-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
nonperson

I am currently:

I never had any problems with my old Dell, other than ruining the battery but that was my fault.

I do have an iPhone so thought having things that were more compatible might be a good idea but I'm used to Windows and can usually fix most things that are wrong with it myself (or used to be able to, a bit rusty now).

Yeah I might have a look at the Which? guides.

Thanks. =)

Old 27-05-2018, 03:01 AM   #12
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

my opinion on laptops is that they are awesome

my advice on buying a new one is don't by a crap one

that is all

Old 27-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
nonperson

I am currently:

Helpful as always, zombie.

Old 28-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

I aim to please

Old 17-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #15
quentin75
This Member is currently Banned

If you want 2-in-1 / touchscreen, I would recommend the HP Spectre x360, with the i7-8705G 4-core processor, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD storage, 4K 15.6" touchscreen display, and RX Vega M dedicated graphics card. The laptop does have strong components, so battery life is around 6 hours. This laptop will be great for video / photo editing, as well as gaming. The RX Vega M graphics performs in between the GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti in games so you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 17-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #16
nonperson

I am currently:

Already bought one, but thanks for the advice.

Old 17-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #17
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

how do people even find and bring up posts from 4 years ago?!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 17-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #18
nonperson

I am currently:

It did take me two years from making this post to actually buying one though =P

Old 17-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #19
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

wow ok! fair enough XD

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 17-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #20
nonperson

I am currently:

What can I say. I like to think these things through properly.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)