RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:
Eating Disorder - jaw pain and popping in ear

I do not have an ED but over the last week i have been purging quite alot, which i think may have something to do with it because it is always worse after. On one side of my jaw its painful whenever i open it, and if i chew there is a popping in my ear, what is this? thank you

And sail away these faces we hide behind
Cutting through the airwaves
Open up our minds
Show ourselves to the world tonight
Cause we are.. No longer in disguise ♫

One Hug Given By:
Old 15-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
starnight
I live to fall asleep

I am currently:

Do you grind your teeth or anything?

The eye
It cannot choose but see

RYL Family

Old 15-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:

yeh i grind my teeth in the night (i have a specialy made plate to control it) but i have done for a couple years, and never had problems before. i also chew a lot of gum if that has anything to do with it?

Open up our minds

Old 15-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
starnight
I live to fall asleep

I am currently:

The constant grinding and chewing would be working your jaw muscles hard, and could be whats causing this.
I have it as well due to teeth grinding etc. I think as long as you haven't injured it recently its just this, and if you have an orthodontic plate which helps cut down on the grinding it should eventually help, and try your best to cut down on the purging as you would be using your jaw muscles alot then as well. If the pain gets worse talk to your dentist again.

xx

The eye
It cannot choose but see

RYL Family

Old 15-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Animad

Are you wearing your jaw brace at night? If you haven't done for some time I suggest you go and get fitted for another and talk to the dentist about this. If you've worn it within the last couple of weeks and it fits fine then if you've not been wearing it regularly you can try with this for a few days and see if that improves it. The joint where your jaw attaches to your skull (your tempero-mandibular joint (referred to as TMJ)) is close to your ear so that is why you can hear it popping. Also, try to eat soft foods for the next few days and don't chew on gum or sweets and see if that helps because it may be you've pulled a muscle a bit. Though it does need to be checked out by either a dentist or doctor if you are still having problems with it in a week or if it is worsening. I'd also see them to be moulded for a new plate if you haven't used it for some time; don't use it if it has been a while as the shape of your jaw may have altered a bit and it can cause more damage.

Are there any reasons why you have suddenly started purging as that in itself is very dangerous and won't help with this. It may be worth getting support for the emotions behind this by writing a thread or contacting the Supporters via "Live Help" or emailing them support@recoveryourlife.com.

Old 15-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
lisaaa
*breaking the habit

I am currently:

thank you both. i have been wearing my brace evrynight for the last year or so (otherwise my teeth start to wear away) so that all ok. i will take your advise and eat soft foods and hopfully that will help. thank you again!

Open up our minds

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)