RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-06-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:
Depot Injection

Never had it before but my CPN wants me to do it with my anti pyschotic med. What's it like? What happens? She did say we would talk about it when I'm not with HTT but I keep worrying about it.

Thanks

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Soft Kitty

I used to be on a depot. I used to go to the practice nurse at the GP though because my CC wasn't a CPN. It was really straightforward, to begin with the usual checks that you have done before being started on an antipsychotic (this varies from place to place). Then just an injection in the top part of your bum (you don't need to expose much).

I had mine every two weeks. Tbh it was great and helped me turn my life around in conjunction with other things. It stopped (mostly) that battle you might have ever day to take your meds. It stopped the peaks and troughs of oral antipsychotics. I didn't have too many side effects from it.

Maybe give it a go and see how you get on? It doesn't have to be an irreversible decision if you decide it's not for you.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Right. Thanks Soft Kitty, that doesn't sound so bad.

Old 17-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Some depots, but not all, can be given in your upper arm instead of your bum if you were more comfortable doing that.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Yeah my CPN did say that so I feel okay about that bit but what if they OD it all in one go and I have some sorta huge dose and get sick

Old 17-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

They give you a test dose when you first start. If you are going to get sick you will react to the lower dose.

I can only speak for clopixol depot as I haven't been on any other depot but it only comes in 2 dose sizes: 200 mg and 500mg. If they decide on for example you require 300 mg the maximum they could give you is 500mg since there's no way of giving more. Clopixol's maximum dose is 700mg so there's no way they can OD you on it since they would have to bring a 500 mg and 200mg. In addition other depot have maximum bottle sizes so even if they gave you more than whatever dose you are on there's a limit to how much they can give you which will never exceed the maximum amount they can prescribe.

In addition to what I said there's a drug sheet which everyone on a depot has. It has your name on it and your dose so even if a different nurse gives you a depot they know how much to give you. They have to fill it in each time a depot is given. If a nurse did accidentally OD they would lose their job. It's extremely rare an OD occurs with a depot unlike tablets.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

right, okay, i see. thank you.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)