RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
lifesrough

I just graduated with a degree and i never liked it!! Help

I'm not sure what the next step in my life is. I'm using this forum to keep me distracted so i dont keep thinking that lifes unfair, and also help to connect with people who went through the same issue.

lifesrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
millwall

Some people don't realise they don't like their degree until 20 years latter. You might be lucky since you can adapt.

millwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Congrats for the degree!

I hear they are not easy to get so Yay for that!

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
lifesrough

They're definitely not easy to get but getting a job is even harder. I guess it only hard because i never liked my degree to begin with. I'm just tired of settling

Old 29-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
bitomato

I am currently:

Congrats first of all!! If you didn't enjoy it a positive would be that it is over with! No one is expected to know what to do next immediately. Are there any resources through your old university/ college that you could still access like the career centre or counseling services? Or maybe there is an active alumni association. There may be an opportunity to meet people in different jobs, volunteer or shadow them to see if you would enjoy it.
However, I would definitely recommend celebrating (responsibly) and enjoying your vacation.
Do things that you do enjoy and maybe that will refresh you and remind you about your dreams.

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,
it’s not working for polar bears
.” Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Does your university have a careers department? Often you can still access them after you have graduated. They will be able to help you find transferrable skills from your course.

Knowing what you don't want to do can be half the battle in finding what you do want to do! Are there any parts of your course you did enjoy?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
lifesrough

First off i want to say thank you to all of the support out there. You are all making it a lot easy to get past this brick wall in my life right now. :)

Yes my school had a careers department and i've been reaching out to them for advice over the course of my university career. However, because i was already demotivated to even complete my degree I lost all hope. BUT just reaching out to forums like this is making realize that I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I'm working on changing my attitude toward the things in my life that are stressing me out (such as trying to find a job in my related fields) and i'm sure things may fall into place

Old 01-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
bitomato

I am currently:

I am glad your perspective is shifting. Maybe you aren't meant to get past the brick wall at the moment- but just to cover it in some really great graffiti?!

Keep reaching out and know that you have done well. Believe in the fact that great things are in store for you. You deserve to feel good about your life!

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,
it’s not working for polar bears
.” Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Tautology

I am currently:

Congrats on finishing the degree! That's not an easy thing to do, especially if you don't like the program/material.

Don't feel locked into the field that you studied for. You'd be surprised at the number of jobs you can get with any degree. Or the jobs that require knowledge of one field but really are in another.

So take a deep breath and celebrate. You accomplished something that's not easy and takes years of dedication. Congratulations!

Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #10
shrimpy
Chat Mod

I am currently:

hey, just wanted to chime in and say it's not the end of the world! Having a degree can open as many (or more) doors than the subject it's in. I too hated my degree by the end of the first year. I studied music, and I graduated (just about) with very average classification, and now I work teaching English and Maths to adults. Nothing to do with music, and I have barely touched an instrument since my finals, some years ago. Don't let your qualification define you!

shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)