RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
shellz1986

I am currently:
SI Question - Infections??

i have four cuts and a large burn on my leg most of the wounds are at least a week old. they were dressed properly by a nurse and checked for infaction. Throuble is i was wondering if a wound of any age( even those which have started to heal can become infected. I am wondering this as my leg is starting to small a little, i have not removed the dressing from the wounds as i was told not to until my review with the nurse on Monday. Slightly worried.....

Shelley

"What would you do if you knew,
I hate myself for breathing without you!"

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 15-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Animad

Yes, they can become infected after a while- until they are fully healed infact as the skin is still broken and so there is no barrier apart from the dressing, that is stopping infection from entering IF I was you I'd be tempted to change the dressing myself (make sure you're using the proper stuff like gauze pads and such and your hands were thoroughly clean before hand and just check the wounds to make sure theyt are healing OK as the dressing sounds like its been on quite a while and then if it looks really bad maybe go into a walk-in centre before monday to get them checked over.

Signs of infection are the area being hot to touch compared to the same area on the opposite leg, increased pain to what you'd expect, a smelly/pussy discharge and swelling. If you become unwell because of it and/or there are red lines running from the wound towards the direction of your heart it needs to be looked at asap as these are signs that any infection has spread into your bloodstream

Old 16-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
blondiebear
Bringing back the lost art of Sewing

I am currently:

I agree that if you show any signs of infection, go get help, don't wait for Monday.

If you do check/change the dressing, spend plenty of time washing your hands, soaping and rinsing them. Please take care of yourself!

My husband is my best friend.

In forgiving others, we are not exonerating them. They may not deserve exoneration. Rather, in forgiving others we are giving up our anger over the fact that what happened is not what "should" have happened or that our life is not the way it "should" have been.

Old 16-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Agreed.
I would dvise you getting it checked out tomorrow as soon possible as it is hard to tell what is under the bandage. It might just need redressing, but you might also need anti-biotics.

Take care
Kim

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)