Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
TalTalon
Call me Tal

I am currently:
Too old to be here?

So I found RYL as a link on another website that I had happened upon in my search for some support.

Itís been 11 years since I managed to stop. Thereís been many a time when thatís been particularly difficult and a few near misses, especially when things have been very hard, stressful, or just times of outright grief. Those moments always had a trigger point, something I could point at and go ďthatís why Iím back in this head spaceĒ. But right now, Iím struggling. Really struggling. More than I have since I stopped. However, thereís nothing I can point at and highlight as the catalyst this time. One of my major coping mechanisms is to identify the trigger and then identify an alternative way of dealing with that trigger. So in the absence of one, Iím a little lost.

So far Iím using the ďjust go 15 minutesĒ technique, and itís patching me through the last few days... but each 15 minutes is getting harder.

I guess that covers why and how Iím here.... but my actual noob question is... am I too old to be here? Iíve been glancing around the discussion topics and I canít help but feel that maybe this forum is designed for a younger demographic than myself? Thereís lots of posts about school and parents, Iím 31, those days are a distant memory to me! If this is the case, please just say and Iíll go away and look for something more angled to oldies like me. Iím not trying to belittle the feelings or needs of those younger than me by any means. I really wish that I had found a resource like this when I was a teenager, I know that age does not increase nor decrease the validity of oneís feelings. But it would be my presumption that support networks such as this work on a peer to peer basis. I regard many people of many ages as my peers. However, in instances such of these, I think Iíd need a peer support network that has similar life challenges, and some life challenges only happen in the older spectrum of age. I hope I worded that right.... i basically donít want to be that old granny at the party that isnít on a level with the young cooler people....

So at the risk of my foot being firmly in my mouth... Iíll leave this here I guess

TalTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 08-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

Hi Tal and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry you're struggling, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing by using coping techniques and reaching out for support. As for age, you're certainly not too old to be here. I think most active members here now are in their 20s and 30s but some are older and some are younger. Some have been members since their teenage years and others like me joined later but I do think that means the support people provide here is aimed more at an older generation as we're all trying to navigate adult life and more adult type challenges. I hope that helps.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
tamobhuuta

I am currently:

Hi Tal! You're very welcome here. I am 29 and find the support I get here invaluable.

with Christ I hang upon the cross

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
TalTalon
Call me Tal

I am currently:

Thank you all for the warm welcome

Iím glad Iím in the right place.

Just really difficult concentrating on any else right now. Feeling rather lost to be honest

TalTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:01 AM   #5
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Hey bit late to the party but welcome and Ur not to old I'm thirty this year. The veterans board is a place for us older peple Wen or if we have more mature topics to discuss or share things we are goin thru as older ones also post else where if u like and feel free to explore

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Welcome to RYL. You are definitely not too old to be here. I hope you can find the site useful and comforting.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

I'm older than you & am still definitely in the right place here :)

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 12:28 AM   #8
Ktkt
Ktkt

I am currently:

How old is too old?

Ktkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

There is no age limit on RYL, everyone is welcome :)

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)