RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #581
tamobhuuta

i've worried about that too, but the calories are minimal if it helps to know that

Ying tong iddle ai po!

tamobhuuta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #582
Shakespeare's Strumpet
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice.

I am currently:

hmmm...
one would think the calories would be few. Small portions, and such.

I do not want to know myself. I do not want to be myself. I know better, so I will strive to be better.

Shakespeare's Strumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #583
mesmerized.
hannah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedandconfused View Post
i know what you mean about losing your faith in god and wanting it back. I've been a christian for so long but over the past year i have completely lost my faith. I'm so miserable and i know that it's because i'm not leaning on God. But on the other hand i just don't know what i believe anymore? I don't know what the truth is...i don't even think i know what believing in something feels like anymore. Also, we've been studying about the origins of the Bible and stuff in my Church History class and it just makes me wonder if the Bible can even be trusted...how do we know that some guy didn't put the wrong stuff in and left out some important stuff? Until i figure all this out, i can't just stand in church and sing all these worship songs that i just simply don't even know if i believe...i feel so bad because i know that everybody else is standing there genuinely believing what they're singing and i feel like such a hypocrite!
What makes you guys absolutely sure that God exists and that Jesus is our savior? I need some hardcore evidence at this point because i'm sick of being this miserable.

ps...sorry about all my ranting...its just that this is really the only place that i can talk to christians and get advice about stuff
Hey. Don't apologize! It's fine to post here when you need to; asking for help when you need to is a good thing. I can understand what you mean, sort of - I think everyone has doubts of some sort ocasionally. I don't know what to say that will convince you that there's a God - there probably isn't anything I can say that will make it much easier. But I can tell you that I'm convinced 100% that there is a God - specifically, the Christian God - for so many reasons that I couldn't begin to explain all of them here. When I look at the world - and all I have to do is look out of my window - it's so absolutely amazing that there's no way any of this could have happened by chance. I know it's fashionable these days to use science to explain everything away, but it doesn't work. Only God explains why there is something rather than nothing, only God makes sense of everything we have. The very existence of the world ought to be enough evidence, but He provides even more in abundance. There is evidence for His existence everywhere you turn, but just to name a few: The Shroud of Turin, Lourdes, the lives of the saints, etc etc. I know it's Catholic and you may not be / probably aren't, but all the same, this is a pretty good site for apologetics (though I haven't read all the articles). This is really a very basic overview of why I believe in God, and it doesn't begin to explain everything. If you want me to go into more detail, I'm happy to - just PM anytime. But you can look at all the evidence and still deny it, if you want to. Nothing can make you believe in God, and I think the only way to truly know God is to live the faith. Pray, talk to Him. Go to church. He understands that you have doubts, but He's still there, waiting for you. It's easy to say that you could be deluding yourself, but I know that I'm not. I believe that my relationship with God is just as real as my relationship with my family. I have no more reason to doubt that God exists and that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour than I do that my family exist, and everything is how it seems to be. I would strongly advise that you talk to your priest or minister, if you can - they'll probably be able to help a lot more than I can. Or someone at your Church who's comfortable in their faith and you trust. Just please don't do it all on your own and let it slip away. Because it's easy to lose your relationship with God if you let yourself, and it doesn't sound like you want that.
Oh - and I understand where you're coming from with the Bible. I came across something a few weeks ago that made me go 'well, if this is true, then the Bible can't be true'. But it is. I'm no expert in the subject - I'll get back to you in a couple of years? For me, the biggest piece of evidence that the Bible is genuinely the Word of God is the Church. And I have no idea what denomination you are, so that may mean nothing to you. I think on this one, you'd really be best talking to your minister or something, talk to someone who'll be able to help you out. Good luck with it all, I'll pray for you. PM me if you like, take care.

mesmerized. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #584
healingraine
Psalm 34

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespearesstrumpet View Post
It's hard to explain what I mean when I say that it's my fault. I've always had the feelings that it was my fault, no matter what anyone else might say to deter that. And then the fact that while I was not speaking to God over the death of my first grandmother, then my second grandmother died...I always felt like God made her die to get me to talk to Him again, or something...

Oh, to bring up something that has been bothering me in just general debate--I don't think I can ever be married. The reason for this being not that I wouldn't like to be in a happy marital situation, but that I have been told all my life that the male is the dominant in a relationship, and I will not be dominated. I've watched my mother be dominated all my life, have been a dominant relationship that was abusive, and I refuse to do it again. I mean, just because a person is male does not make him my better. True, Jesus was male, but God does not have a sex. We attribute Him with a male sex only because during the majority of the time the Bible was written, men were in power and had higher education levels, so those that were taught the Bible would be male and would empathize more with a patriarch than a matriarch. Nobody at the time would have listened to the daughter of God.

The point I'm bringing up here is...can't we have an equal relationship, without my having to "submit myself to my husband"? I don't want him to be the final word, to have a power over me. I want only God to have power over me.
I've struggled similarly. I am a very independent person in the first place, and having grown up with an abusive father, I was distraught when I came across the verse about submitting to your husband.
I brought it up to a woman at church who I trust, and she allayed my fears. She explained that it doesn't really mean that your husband has power over you. It means that it is his responsibility to protect you, and provide for you, and that spiritually, he should be farther along than you... or something to that effect... I don't completely remember...
But I do believe that you can have an equal relationship.
I'll do some research when I get a chance and post back.

SI free solely by the grace of God!
August 2, 2007

healingraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #585
learninglessonslate
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Hi,

Did not want to read every post. So if this was already answered by others or if this is just old news... please forgive me.

First, I have training in this field. I have served as a rabbi and a reverand. So I have been on two different sides to this issue. Obviously there are still as many sides as there are people so in the end... these are just my thoughts.

So, is cutting wrong from an Old Testament (Tenach) point of view. The answer is if your cutting to relieve stress it is not sinful. If your cutting to call down the power of another G-d like in the case of the Priest of Ba'al and Elijah than you can say G-d has issues with it.

From a New Testament point of view. I hold to the position that it is not a sin... I will not quote any scripture. I believe you can make scripture say just about anything you want. I believe God looks at your heart. He judges that. Where is your head at the moment you cut. Did you cut because you were trying to receive a blessing? No, of course not. You were trying to relieve stress. Is this a sign of lack of faith? According to some the answer would be yes. But I believe God looks at the whole person and that is what drive him to judge an action as sinful or just coping. If you are looking for more scriptural proof I would be happy to give a more substantial statement but I believe this covers it.

My religious background begins in Judaism...becomes a Christian, and than returns to Judaism. I finally rejected all things fundamental and I am today much more into Buddhism. My claim to fame if you can call it that... is I have pastored Churches and Synagogues and rejected that to be Buddhist and a disciple of the Bagwan Shree Rajnesh... better jnow as OSHO.

learninglessonslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #586
Shakespeare's Strumpet

I am currently:

Whether it is a sin or not...not my contention point.
But God has told me to stop, not because it's a sin, but because it's hurting me. It's making things worse. It never fully relieves the stress, it doesn't help, and it could end up killing me.

I do not want to know myself. I do not want to be myself. I know better, so I will strive to be better.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #587
risenfromperdition
you are loved and beautiful :)

^*agrees*
and thanks for the reassurance bout communion (y)

“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”
“If it’s time to go, remember what you’re leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me.”

risenfromperdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #588
learninglessonslate
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

I'm glad that works for you. I believe God would like all of us to stop. I also believe God understands that some of us are not ready...

Tariki

learninglessonslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #589
healingraine
Psalm 34

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by learninglessonslate View Post
Hi,

Did not want to read every post. So if this was already answered by others or if this is just old news... please forgive me.

First, I have training in this field. I have served as a rabbi and a reverand. So I have been on two different sides to this issue. Obviously there are still as many sides as there are people so in the end... these are just my thoughts.

So, is cutting wrong from an Old Testament (Tenach) point of view. The answer is if your cutting to relieve stress it is not sinful. If your cutting to call down the power of another G-d like in the case of the Priest of Ba'al and Elijah than you can say G-d has issues with it.

From a New Testament point of view. I hold to the position that it is not a sin... I will not quote any scripture. I believe you can make scripture say just about anything you want. I believe God looks at your heart. He judges that. Where is your head at the moment you cut. Did you cut because you were trying to receive a blessing? No, of course not. You were trying to relieve stress. Is this a sign of lack of faith? According to some the answer would be yes. But I believe God looks at the whole person and that is what drive him to judge an action as sinful or just coping. If you are looking for more scriptural proof I would be happy to give a more substantial statement but I believe this covers it.

My religious background begins in Judaism...becomes a Christian, and than returns to Judaism. I finally rejected all things fundamental and I am today much more into Buddhism. My claim to fame if you can call it that... is I have pastored Churches and Synagogues and rejected that to be Buddhist and a disciple of the Bagwan Shree Rajnesh... better jnow as OSHO.
I realize that these are your opinions on the subject, but I would like to add my own.

As for the old testament, we are made in the image of God, so it seems like a really bad idea to mutilate that. And when we turn to SI for relief instead of God, we are putting SI before Him, in a sense making it our god.

& The new testament= there's that bit about offering your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing before God. I agree that one can make scripture say whatever one wishes, but this is too clear.

All in all, God loves us, and wants us to bring our problems to Him instead of seeking comfort elsewhere.

Isn't that bagwan shree rajnesh thing a cult? at least that's what I've heard about it... a woman at my church's nephew's ex-wife is/[was?] a part of it

August 2, 2007

Old 26-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #590
healingraine
Psalm 34

I am currently:

I looked up some stuff about it, in case anyone is curious.
Top aides of Osho were charged with a number of crimes, including the attempted murder of Osho's personal physician. There were stories of a hit list. Some fled the country for Switzerland where they had control over the group's bank accounts. Two were eventually convicted of conspiracy to murder local lawyer Charles Turner in an attempt to prevent closure of the ranch.
A number of sources have reported that spiritual devotees of Rajneesh had spread salmonella on a local restaurant's salad bar in order to reduce voter turnout on a measure that would have restricted the group's activities. Allegedly, 751 people were affected by the bacteria.
Shortly after, Osho himself was arrested and charged with immigration violations. He left the United States in accordance with a plea bargain. Following a world tour during which twenty-one countries denied him entry, Osho eventually returned to Pune, where he died in 1990. His Ashram in Pune is today known as the Osho International Meditation Resort.

August 2, 2007

Old 26-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #591
Artychik
Tired and Confused

I am currently:

I keep meaning to post more in this thread... but I seem to have run out of words (well ones that might make sense)

I will come back when I make sense, this post has no point

just hang in there guys
Sarah xxx

xxx
--------------------

Artychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #592
healingraine
Psalm 34

I am currently:

^^Now I'm confused... but in a nice way... lol

I've had a really trying couple of days. But today I am excited.
I am certain that God has just revealed to me part of His plan for my life.

I will become a doctor. [i have no idea in what specialty... there are so many] [actually I'm not even certain of that... i just see myself one-on-one with people I presume are patients] then I will become a missionary.

But it's really vague. I really don't know what sort of mission work... i sort of picture the typical thing [going to africa, and the middle east] but I've learned never to expect the typical from God. who knows, maybe my ministry will be to self-injurers, or inner city teens...

Just thought I'd share. I've been really agitated/disheartened lately, because all of my friends seem to be sure of what they're doing in life... but God chooses to reveal His plan in His time, not ours.

August 2, 2007

Old 28-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #593
mesmerized.
hannah.

Salanna.. I'm happy for you, it must be great to begin to have an idea of what God wants you to do. Just keep praying about it, you'll work it out. I know what you mean about your friends, but you're right that He'll let you know in His time. You'll be fine. =]

But. Sigh. God doesn't ask the impossible, right? Just sometimes it seems like it. I don't mean 'too hard'.. I mean, like impossible. Maybe I'll explain one day =/ Sorry.

mesmerized. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #594
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

Hey...Just got back from my Christian camp...didn't manage to always hold off from self harm BUT last night during a session, I thought I couldn't keep living this double life as I was singing "You're the only one I need..." but then I thought God isn't due to needing my self harm. But I did manage to get prayed for and I am going to try and give it up...I hope...Just being back at home is going to hard...

'Coincidence...it's what the Universe does for...fun.'
The Doctor

Fitzwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #595
Katey-lou
struggling to hold on

I am currently:

hey glad you had a good time, it is hard when youve been away on camps like that to coem back to 'home' and everything thats going on. i ;love getting away on all the camps n weekends that i go on but i coem home with a bang because while i'm away i can be myself (or try me best to) and theres so many great people around me, loads of people who will listen, and pray with me. glad you got prayer though and it helped xxxx

Theres a little truth behing every just kidding,
A little curiosity behind every just wondering,
A little knowledge behind every i dont know.
And a little emotion behind every i dont care.

Katey-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #596
mystery

tell someone?

hi,
this is kind of off topic..im sorry but umm, i have been thinking about telling someone at church how i am feeling but i cant seem to do it ...every time i try to..its ussually by a letter or email, i throw it away, saying to myself..'why am i doing this', 'i dont deserve help'...i dont know what to do...should i just keep it to myself?...maybe it will just go away?...even though i have been feeling like this for years and its getting really bad...

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #597
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

Hey mystery.
It is hard to tell someone, but if there is someone you have in your mind who seems ideal to tell, then you could try telling them, or if you don't tell them, ask them to pray with you and for you during this hard time.
I think it is easier for us to convince ourselves that we don't need/deserve help than it is to say we do deserve help. But maybe once you have shared your problem you might feel better as some weight is lifted as you don't have to cope on your own.

Sorry if this isn't much help.
Sam x

'Coincidence...it's what the Universe does for...fun.'
The Doctor

Fitzwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #598
risenfromperdition
you are loved and beautiful :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egar8wxmzFM"]YouTube - John Waller - Still Calls Me Son[/ame]

wow O.o amazing song. check it out <3
<3 you guys x

“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”
“If it’s time to go, remember what you’re leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me.”

risenfromperdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #599
Shakespeare's Strumpet

I am currently:

I feel so guilty having asked my pastor for help. I feel so guilty, bringing him into this. Half the time I feel guilty just sitting in church, surrounded by people I know are doing better than me, surrounded by the good people. I keep expecting one of the pastors to look my direction and then point and tell me to leave. To tell everyone how horrible I am and then tell me I'm not welcome.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #600
dazedandconfused

I am currently:
why?

i know this is like the never ending question and i've never heard anybody be able to answer it....but honestly why do bad things happen to good people? I just found out that somebody close to me's daughter (young...very young..INNOCENT daughter) is hurt really bad and its not something thats going to get better quickly at all...or maybe not at all...she might have to deal with this the REST OF HER LIFE...and i just don't understand why things like this have to happen! its absolutely horrible... i mean i love this little girl and i just don't understand why things like this happen? i'm so confused

Love so amazing, so divine
demands my soul, my life, my all. =)

dazedandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)