RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 30-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:
Complusive Over Eating / Binge Eating

I thought I would write some information and share some ideas about COE/BED and recovery, so we can get a better understanding and hopefully support more people suffering with this disorder.

What is compulsive over eating?

Compulsive over eating (COE) is an eating disorder and is very similar to Binge Eating Disorder, (BED) and both include the sufferer eating an excessive amounts of food often when they are not hungry, but instead to fill an emotional void, cure boredom, deal with stress, or punish themselves (among other reasons.) They often feel out of control with food and struggle to eat 'normal' amounts, and feel addicted to food. Unlike Bulimia Nervosa, there are no behaviours afterwards to 'rid' the foods from the body.

For more core information, I suggest you see RYL's page on Compulsive Overeating or SomethingFishy.org Compulsive Overeating and Binge Eating Disorder.

Is it just an issue with food?

No, sufferers of COE or BED have emotional issues with regards to food in the same way someone with Anorexia or Bulimia or EDNOS might have. They often feel out of control with their food, feel extreme guilt and shame emotions after a binge or overeating, and suffer self-image issues and low self esteem. This is often reinforced by society and the apparent negative view of overweight people, making dealing with COE or BED difficult to get help about, and people often fear facing a stigma of just being "lazy and fat".

How should I get help and go about recovery?

COE and BED are both serious eating disorders, and as such can have medical consequences including heart disease, diabetes, high cholestrol, sleep apnea [Source: Mirror Mirror]. Speaking with a medical professional such as your doctor, a psychologist or a counsellor is a really good place to start, as there will be some underlying emotional issues that are fueling your behaviour - it isn't just about food. Enlisting professional support is a great way to get behind the cause of the problem and work things out, while getting support to do so.

That said, I've learned a few tips & tricks that help me to try and curb the amount I am eating and stop myself overeating or binging, and I thought I would share them here. Obviously, these are meant to help people who are trying not to overeat, and portion control is a big part of that, but if you are wanting to also lose weight remember that you do need to eat, and eat regularly, to keep your blood sugar levels up.

Also these tips are not going to be much help if you're not getting emotional support to help you through what you're facing, they're merely very practical, and are only one side of the equation of these eating disorders.

Tips for avoiding overeating or binging.

1. Eat Meals Mindfully.

When you're eating a meal or a snack, eat it mindfully. This means you have to really be present in the moment, focus on how the food tastes and how it feels, how it smells and really enjoy what you are eating. I find this is helpful for me because often I want to overeat or have seconds because I haven't really enjoyed the food to begin with, and using this method helps me think rationally that hey, I've had enough, I enjoyed that. Which comes to the second point of -

2. Eat meals slowlly.

It takes your body time to recognise when you are full, so if you've started and finished dinner in ten minutes you might still feel hungry and go for seconds, and then soon feel bloated. Same with snacks - if you're eating crisps and eat them fast, if you go for more you're more likely to overeat because your body hasn't recognised that it's actually full. If you eat slowly your body will digest the food properly, you'll enjoy it more, and by the time you finish you can also reasonably judge if your body "needs" more. Leading on nicely to the next point.

3. Listen to your body.

Overeating or binging is often doing the complete opposite, and eating well past the point of being full and comfortable, to often being very uncomfortable and feeling rather sick. This might work if you're trying to fill an emotional void, but we need to find other ways to soothe our emotions [see below] and not use food to do so. So when you're eating, give your body a chance to express if it is hungry, or full, and listen to the signals it is sending. If it is hungry - eat! Your body needs food to function. If it is full, that's a sign you've had enough, and any more is going to be painfully felt for the next few hours, and we're here to try and reduce the pain.

4. Why are you overeating or binging? Can you substitute this behaviour for something else to get a desire outcome?

Like self harm, there's no point in taking away the action without sorting out the reason you're doing it and the release it gives you. Same with overeating or binging - it's serving a purpose for you at the moment, what do you think that is? Write it down and then brainstorm other ways you could get that same response, but ways that are kinder to you. My example is below :) The key is then making sure you have it in writing, so when you go to over eat you know there's a written resource there for you giving you quick, easy options of something you can do instead. Give it a try, brainstorm what works for you!

5. Feel a binge coming on?

I don't know about you, but sometimes, I can feel a binge coming on. There's a physical and an emotional reaction in me that drives the exctiment, anticipation, the lust for food that seems so strong I could eat the whole world, or my own weight in cookies at least. So what the hell do you do then? You feel like you want it, you need it, right? But do you? Why? Stopping yourself here is really important, because here you can learn that you are in control. These are, afterall, just thoughts. Recognise when you're walking to the pantry what you're going in for and just - stop. Stand there for a bit, prolong the urge as much as possible. Every single bit of prolonging gives you more power to stop yourself. Turn away and if you can, distract yourself. Do something from your list above, come online and ask for help, call someone, go for a walk, do something immediate to get you doing something else away from the food. It can be overcome, you just need to believe it can.

6. Be kind to yourself.

Really, really important. Overcoming any eating disorder isn't going to happen over night, there will be ups & downs & twirling arounds but it doesn't mean you have to give up, or berrate yourself, your turn to a binge to make yourself feel 'better'. If you overeat, if you binge, if you're feeling **** one day - don't let it ruin your hard work and dedication to get yourself better. Treat yourself with love, respect and kindess. It all sounds very hippy, but it can really impact your feelings about yourself, and in turn, your behaviours.

This is where professional support comes in, as counsellors and psychologists can often help you learn to challenge the negative thoughts in your head, such as reducing the catastophising and self blame, and increasing the looovvee. It's easier said than done but it works best with practice, and in the beginning it might seem like a real effort and almost fake, but if you keep working at it, soon it will be genuine self love. Be kind to yourself.

Become aware of what you are thinking and believing, and how these thoughts and behaviours are motivating your behaviour. Are they causing you to binge? If so, can you change or ignore the original thought, can you challenge it? I found it really hlepful to write out & journal my thought-challenging processes, as writing them out when I could meant that when I was on the go, challenging it almost became second nature and wasn't so hard to do. Maybe it's worth a try for you, too.

Remember to never give up on yourself, no matter how long it takes, you can get to where you want to be.

Do you have any tips or something you'd like to share about COE/BED? Post it here if you do :)

& See also: Tips to Help Stop/Prevent a Binge.

xxxxxx

Last edited by Snow White. : 30-07-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

BRILLIANT post!

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Tig

Fantastic post, thank you Aimee x

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Aimee this is great!
Really informative.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Olive branch

Great post. I'm really glad we have some of the 'other side' of ED behaviour. Hopefully this will make it easier for people to post. x

System A
Sophie Mandi Max Gwen Mercy Erin AVA Tracey Bridget
My Isaac

System B
Tabitha, ?,Robert, Pippa, Sarah?

"Don't touch me."

Olive branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Gone.

Really good post and explains everything really. I hope it will make more people inclined to post on the ED board.
:) x

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
crazykat
Fight for another day

Thank-you so much Aimee, this is very helpful

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Oh thank you so much for this Aimee, this will be really helpful.

I've also heard that drinking a full pint of water before a meal can help, because sometimes your body can mistake hunger for thirst. So either you drink it and realise you are or aren't hungry and then act on that. I think if you are, it means you're less likely for overeat.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Droplet

Thank you, what a great, great post! I hope anyone struggling feels comfortable to post here. I feel bad that some members don't feel that way, it's a real shame and I hope together we can change. I would encourage all those 'hiding' though to support each other as well. :)

Love Miranda. x

The Mole was bewitched, entranced, fascinated. By the side of the river he trotted as one trots, when very small, by the side of a man who holds one spell-bound by exciting stories; and when tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.
Wind in the Willows.

Droplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
missy punk

I am currently:

thats really helpful. Thank you xx

missy punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

*bump*

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
The Mad Hatter

I am currently:

awesome post Aimee

Sherlock: Oh, please. Killing me. That's so two years ago.

The Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

That's really brilliant, thank you so much for that, Aimee.
I was just coming to post about this whole topic, but that has really helped me. :)

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

thanks so much
this is helping me alot

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Time-Bomb
Connie...

I am currently:

*bump*

Time-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
akita

I am currently:

*bump*

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Psiren
Apathetic without the 'A'

I am currently:

I'm going to try point four definitley :) I think that could help with loads of ED behviours too :)
This is an amazing post hun.

Psiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

Thanks for posting Aimee.(:

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
charlieglasgow
bedlam publishing journalist :)

I am currently:

thanks for posting, this is really imformative!

http://www.icedteaandlemoncake.wordpress.com
I have a blog, and I LOVE comments. pretty please?

what's up? I'm a bagel.

charlieglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
susieannah
Control is an illusion

I am currently:

Thanks Aimee :D

susieannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)