RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
TheInvisibles

I am currently:
Therapy

Hi,

I'm working on feeling emotions and crying in therapy and everything I get to 'the crying' it kind of excalates.
Like... on Friday I ended up lying on the floor - my therapist gave me a pillow and a blanket - and I was just crying for about an hour (double session).

Now, 2 days later, I am still super drained of energy - like, physically I have less energy than if I had exercised a lot.
But inside, in the inner world, there is so much energy - it's not a good energy, it's almost as if there is a 'storm' building up. (we have DID).
Anyway - we don't know how to deal with this.

Does anyone else get this? What do you do to get your energy back after exhausting sessions?

Laura

... you'll survive the recovery ...

Laura (30), Cassi (19), Spencer, Bekki (14), Luna (3-4), Joni (3), Oliver, Mia (3,6,9), Lena (16), Sara (6), Tamara, Emma (~9) & a dragon

TheInvisibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #2
Auror.
Camden

I don't have DID, but I definitely get this after both therapy and sessions with my case manager, or even just after really stressful events. It's really energy draining physically and mentally to experience such strong emotions. That's actually normal.

For me, I make sure not to plan anything after on the day of. If possible, I try not to plan anything the next morning as well, so I can take the time to rest and not have to worry about anything besides resting. I know not everyone has that luxury, but if you can shift things around to minimize what you do on those days, it might be helpful.

Also sorry if obvious, but definitely ask your therapist for suggestions as well. Maybe they can help spend a few minutes at the end of sessions working with you to try to calm down some, or have some suggestions for other ways to take care of yourself and rest if you still have other things you need to do. Or even work with you on finding safe ways to release your emotions outside of sessions, so you don't have to let things build up so much.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Soft Kitty

I can't add much to what Auror already said so well, but I just wanted to say I'm on a similar journey and I acknowledge the immense courage it takes to make.

Does your therapist help you work with your dissociated parts at all? Perhaps they can help you to soothe and have compassion for what's going on inside.

Wishing you healing.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:43 AM   #4
Greyscale
Chat Mod

Mostly want to echo the above posts.

Wanted to add, if you have communication internally, do you think it might be possible to see if there's any knowledge of what's going on that other parts may have? That might help know how to resolve or reassure.

Also, has your therapist worked with you at all on containing emotions? Something we had to work on was knowing how to contain emotions since a big fear for me was how to calm down or resolve really big feelings, so we worked on building up some skills for that prior to working on releasing them which is.. still a work in progress haha. She also always will help me to get more grounded prior to leaving session. For me it has really been important to know I won't get caught in emotions and totally unable to function in I let them out, that might not be the case for you so this might not be so relevant.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)