RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:
Out of control self harm

I’m trying to find reason for it. But there is none. I’m not sad or depressed or manic. I’m not even ‘done’. But I’m scared. My self harm has recently reached the point of surgery and anaemia and I OD’d and was in HDU to try and avoid it. I don’t know what to do. I don’t have a CC. I’m in the middle of a formal complaint about lack of CC and CMHT support. I’m not suicidal. I have hopes and dreams but my self harm compulsions are stronger and I don’t know what to do or how much more my body can take. Literally. My HB levels are almost half what they were until I started selfharming again three weeks ago. I don’t know what to do. Normally I can be months between incidences and was a decade between OD. I don’t want to die but it now feels inevitable and I don’t know what to do.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
jumping over the moon

I am currently:

I used to self harm a lot more frequently and the one thing that actually helped was not being mad at myself. For me it helps me feel something other than numb. But then i would get into the spiral of self hatred and I would self harm again. When I tried to accept I was doing it as an unhealthy coping mechanism it helped a lot. Sending good vibes your way. Life can be tough but I think you are tougher.

jumping over the moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Soft Kitty

That sounds really, really scary. There probably is a reason that things have reached this point but it's very difficult to always identify it on your own. It's absolutely ridiculous that you're not receiving proper (or any?) support when it's clearly needed. Is it possible to be under the crisis team or in hospital to try and reduce risk ana work through what's actually underlying everything at the moment?

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I'm sorry you're going through such a scary time. Did the hospital not refer you on to anyone when you've been treated there? Can you think of what you might need to help you stay safe and work through this, even if it's something that you don't think is available right now?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thank you for the replies. Hospital 5.2 but was taken off because MH said I had capacity, which I do. I know what I’m doing but that doesn’t make the compulsions any less scary. I saw a psych nurse today and they’re having a meeting about my care tomorrow. I’m supposed to be seeing a psychologist but I’m not finding it remotely helpful. I did find a CC helpful- I’d been out of IP for two years, irregular self harm, working and studying and volunteering etc. Struggling with compulsions tonight. A lot. And GP reissued my OD meds’ today too. Tbh not sure why cos they’re not due. I requested them and they agreed. It’s my responsibility, I know that but it did surprise me.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 28-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

People are really not sounding understanding of your issues or needs, I'm so sorry. Do you have any non-professional support in your life?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks Lindsey. I do but only one person knows what’s been going on. Psychology appt was cancelled today- guessing she’s off sick. Was expecting a call from the nurse I saw yesterday with the meeting outcome and plan moving forward but she finishes at 4 so I’m guessing it won’t be today now. I have a friend staying tonight which I would usually be looking forward to but I’m resentful of because it means I can’t self harm and whilst that’s also a good thing, it’s making me more anxious. It also means me and the house need to be clean and tidy and I just have no energy physically, prob due to the anaemia. And I need to see my dad on the way to going out with my friend too and it’s all just too much. I need the CMHT to work with me to come up with a plan, sooner rather than later.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 30-01-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Shit. I don’t know what to do

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 30-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
chinahorse

I am currently:

What's wrong?

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #10
chinahorse

I am currently:

I have to go back to sleep now but if you need help please call 999.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks Lillie. I ended up in a&e, again. Seeing random cpn today.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 31-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

How did it go with the CPN? Been thinking of you.

EyelinerAndCigarettes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 02:51 AM   #13
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thank you for the replies. Self harm has stabilised but still physically poorly. I’m really struggling with my current support and actually finding it more harmful than helpful. Not sure what to do. Not sure if it’s mood related but it feels more than situational...I don’t ‘want to die’, but it feels like the inevitable and possibly the best option. I’ve dealt with this for so long and I thought I could handle it, with or without support...I had plans for the future etc. I was put forward to dbt to try and manage self harm (even though can be months in between incidences)....it’s making me feel more isolated because my moods and thought patterns don’t fit anybody in the group and the individual therapist might as well be a cassette recording. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m not overwhelmed or intensely upset, I’m just tired and at some point sUrely enough has to be enough?

Last edited by Pomegranate : 24-02-2020 at 03:07 AM.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 24-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
Eska

I am currently:

Hey, I just wanted to say... I know how you feel, I think. I'm in a DBT group which feels like it doesn't properly fit because other people seem to have different kinds of emotional reactions to things and I operate different. I was referred because of concerns about self harm, even though like you say it can be months between incidents, it's just that when it does happen it's scary and difficult but I lose the will to fight it or anything like that.

So yeah. It's hard and there doesn't entirely seem to be anything around that fits for someone in that kind of space. If it helps, I'm starting to find the dbt stuff a little better, I think because the group has moved onto some different topics and the people in the group have switched up a bit. I don't know what else to suggest though sorry.

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #15
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks Eska, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one. I think I’m struggling with dbt because my moods don’t ‘react’ as extremely to outside stuff as everyone else’s in the group (primary diagnosis is bipolar) and my self harm is more compulsive than impulsive so I struggle to see how a lot of the ‘skills’ can be applied to my situation. And tbh I find the group quite patronising- stickers and clapping etc. I do think my mood is currently on the low side- poor concentration, no motivation (even for showering or eating), poor sleep, feeling hopeless etc and it has been for the last two or three weeks. My mission for today though is to have a shower, do a food shop and clean the kitchen (cos I’ve not touched it in two weeks). But so far it’s nearly 3.30 and I’m in the same clothes as yesterday and the day before, that I slept in and sat outside having coffee and a cigarette.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 26-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #16
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

Hey, I wonder how are you doing? Are you okay?
Hopefully eventually the topic of discussion in your DBT group will turn around to something more relatable. I see why you would find it patronising (stickers would guarantee an eye roll even in my 9-year-old students) and not very helpful, but I hope it can change.
Do you think there was a certain turning point two or three weeks ago that might've triggered the low mood you're struggling with now?
Also, did you brave the kitchen after all? I haven't cleaned mine since like February 3rd so you'd be my inspiration if you did. If you don't mind. :)

Last edited by Juella : 26-02-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Juella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
Auror.
Camden

Are you doing traditional DBT or RO-DBT? I found regular DBT similar to you not super relevant, but the bits of RO-DBT I was able to do were much more helpful.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #18
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks for the kind replies

Juella- not done completely sorted kitchen but all the crap and rubbish is off the sides, dishes sorted and half rubbish taken out. Had to break it into individual chores. I don’t tend to have triggers for my mood. If anything I’ve got less social stressors than a month or so ago

Auror- It’s traditional dbt. Just had a look at RO-DBT but I’ve not come across it in my treatment trust or at work/placement. Not sure we do it here. Shame cos the compulsive parts resonate, although tbh other parts don’t. But at least I would see the potential benefit of RO-DBT. Thank you for your reply.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 27-02-2020, 02:34 AM   #19
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Has anyone ever experienced hive like rashes due to mood? Started two or three days ago but it’s driving me insane (excuse the pun). Scratching to the point of drawing blood (in a non self harm way). Mainly on my calves and arms and lower back. Cut my nails to avoid damaging the skin (irony) but it’s really unpleasant. Thanks folks

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 27-02-2020, 04:26 AM   #20
Auror.
Camden

I think RO-DBT was actually developed in the UK, but I guess it's not country wide. :(

I am unsure about the rash. I know when I get really itchy I try to put lotion on the areas that itch, but that might not be good for a rash?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)