Aamanee

:rockingcry:
LOST
SOULS

Aamanee is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 27-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Wonderland.

I'm not physically disabled but i just wanted to say i think this thread is a great idea and i was just thinking today there should be a thread like this.

Amy x

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
love__me

I am legally blind in my right eye, and can't see anything out of my left eye. I also have a learning Disorder. It's hard for me to spell words, and grammer.

Old 28-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
akita

I am currently:

I thought I replied to this before but just realised its a new thread :)

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Aamanee
one of many

I am currently:

i have problems with spelling too it sucks you know what you want to say but getting it down is harder

how does your disability make you feel ?

am sorry that the tics are painful for you
AR

Aamanee

LOST
SOULS

Old 28-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

I get DLA (disability living alowance) for schizophrenia and I also have osteoarthritis of the spine which makes it hard and painful for me to walk/stand for long ammounts, even though I don't use a weelchair I probably will need one when I am a bit older.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
flying_kiwifruit

I am currently:

in reply to how having a disability makes me feel. Because I still in my teens, and all my friends are running around being teenagers. Going on massive shopping trips, playing games at youth group, running the cross country. If I was to do any of this, it would me waking up in a lot of pain the next day, and having trouble walking without a limp for days, so I simply don't do them. It makes me feel like a outcast, like I don't quite fit in with my age group, but I deal with it by doing behind the scenes stuff.

It's easier to run; Replacing this pain with something numb;It's so much easier to go;Than face all this pain here all alone;

Some people say courage is diving infront of a bullet, or bungy jumping off a bridge, but thats not true courage, true courage is facing everyday knowing that it won't be a happy go lucky day, but facing it anyway. It's facing your past, dealing with the present, and looking forward to brighter days.

flying_kiwifruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
ceapach
has a nifty custom user title

I am currently:

I feel upset, degraded, and pissed when I have to fill out lots of extra paperwork in addition to having to "prove"/explain myself or "out" myself as disabled to begin to get the extra help I need.

ceapach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

^^ I know that feeling too well. It's actually part of the reason I felt so lost and out of place at uni 'cause nobody was doing anything to help me, even though I went for assessments and appointments and such.
I know I may seem weak/stupid but at this point in life I've kinda given up on doing most things 'cause I know I just won't be able to do them and from experience there's not many people willing to help.

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
BoundNoMore
feeling like a failure...

I am currently:

Thanks Aamanee for starting this thread!!!!

I have cerebral palsy (commonly abbreviated CP) that mainly affects my legs.
I can walk for very short distances with crutches, but it tends to hurt, and I get tired really quick,
so for longer distance, I use a manual wheelchair.
Also, my fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination are crap
(I assume this is due to the brain damage I suffered at birth... which is always the reason for my CP.)
I also have a condition called hydrocephalus, which is excessive accumulation of fluid in the brain,
and I have a shunt inside my head that drains the excessive fluid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_kiwifruit View Post
in reply to how having a disability makes me feel. Because I still in my teens, and all my friends are running around being teenagers. Going on massive shopping trips, playing games at youth group, running the cross country. If I was to do any of this, it would me waking up in a lot of pain the next day, and having trouble walking without a limp for days, so I simply don't do them. It makes me feel like a outcast, like I don't quite fit in with my age group, but I deal with it by doing behind the scenes stuff.
I totally feel you, I had few to no friends growing up, simply because no one wanted to hang out with someone who couldn't really do much.
My PM box is always open if you need someone to talk that knows what you are going through. (and I am older so maybe I can help you some)
*hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceapach View Post
I feel upset, degraded, and pissed when I have to fill out lots of extra paperwork in addition to having to "prove"/explain myself or "out" myself as disabled to begin to get the extra help I need.
*nods* that part of having a disability really does suck.
I currently get SSI (supplemental security income) and SSDI (social security disability insurance),
but it was a bear to try and convince people that I needed it, since I am married and my husband works...
they would say, "well we consider his income your income too... so you don't need any supplemental income."

Last edited by BoundNoMore : 29-09-2008 at 02:01 AM.

We're all in the same game;
Just different levels.
Dealing with the same hell;
Just different demons.

BoundNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Aamanee
one of many

I am currently:

I only just started to use my wheelchair
before with the DLA i had to prove i was disabled
had to fill forms see how far i could bend walk back words and forwards

prove that am mentally disabled as well
and the forms are imposable to full in with out help

yes i have Dyslexia it affects my spelling and i cant do math
but my reading is fine

since i have started using my wheelchair ( she is called Charlie)
i have found am able to go out the house more than i use to
but there are limits i find like some buses don't let wheelchairs on yet that is improving here were i live

I also have a brain injury when i was 2 years old i was hit on the head with a house brick i took seizures until i was 7

i cant move myself in my wheelchair i need my husband to help me
i can find that upsetting that i cant but i don't have the power in my arms to move myself in my wheelchair
dose anyone find clothes don't fit right because of your disability

i have i deeper curve in my back witch makes my bum stick out more and the only thing that i can fit into is jogger bottoms
not so good if you want to have a certain look ( eg emo )

LOST
SOULS

Old 29-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
High_Voltage
Slowly But Surely Losing My Mind

I am currently:

well im deaf in my right ear and the size of my right is really small compared to my other ear. if you want to see i can show you a pic of me

High_Voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
MammaMia

I'm partially deaf and it affects studying A LOT. I just get quite frusrated at times you know? I mean I find it hard if there's a lecture and the person is constantly going on and on and on and on. I just can't keep up with the flow, espically if you're notetaking. Thank god I've been given notetakers for uni, I have relied on them so heavily at school & college and will so here aswell.

I think I have a slight learning diability aswell or something because I find sometimes I find it really hard writing, but I don't know why? I just find it really hard to make it form correctly, though that's likely linked to my hearing.

Also sometimes when I'm talking, I'll know what I want to say and start to say it but get tripped up and then I get really frusrated and have to shut up and try and breathe and start again, but I REALLY depise people trying to say it for me. I CAN TALK YOU KNOW? Yet sometimes if I really can't say it, I have to think of another way to say it's stuipd.

Sometimes aswell, I don't understand things that are like not simple, but not medium (which majority of people udnerstand)...and yet I should really? Sometimes it takes several ways of explaining and simplyfying before I start to catch on. I feel like a ********.

Oh I have to say I am VERY passoinate about disability rights and stuff and hope in the future to get involved more with that. I have already started, but I just want to spend my life helping people with disabilites.

Is it wrong sometimes I don't feel like I can help people with disabilites because I feel scared of wanting to laugh or saying the wrong thing? :S Maybe it's just a nervous thing...? Oh and if I see a disabled person, I will maybe like look (because it's a natural thing) and look away again, because staring is just SO RUDE >.<

Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
BoundNoMore
feeling like a failure...

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells View Post
Also sometimes when I'm talking, I'll know what I want to say and start to say it but get tripped up and then I get really frusrated and have to shut up and try and breathe and start again, but I REALLY depise people trying to say it for me. I CAN TALK YOU KNOW? Yet sometimes if I really can't say it, I have to think of another way to say it's stuipd.
:jaw: :coolness: I thought I was the only one with this problem!!!! I completely understand how frustrating it can be. *hugs*
Sometimes I find it hard to know what to talk about too.
It's like, I want talk to a person, but my mind goes blank
and I don't know what to say or how to keep a conversation
going, so it ends up going dead, and people often think I am just
being rude or anti-social or whatever. Ugh... it is sooooo annoying!!!!

Quote:
Oh I have to say I am VERY passoinate about disability rights and stuff and hope in the future to get involved more with that. I have already started, but I just want to spend my life helping people with disabilites.
:Cool2: I think it's awesome that you are passionate about our rights!!!
I wish you all the best in your pursuit of getting more involved.
We need more people who are willing to help us stand up for our rights.

We're all in the same game;
Just different levels.
Dealing with the same hell;
Just different demons.

BoundNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
MammaMia

I will reply to your post Amanda when I get chance hunni, it's something I really want to respond to.

I'm always here guys if any of you want to chat, we totally should stick together and show everyone what we're made of =D

Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
Aamanee
one of many

I am currently:

I have started to get intrested in rightn of thoese who are disabliled also

i have seen things getting easyer were i live like more access to public places .

Thanks Ar i think talking about it helps so much with someone who understands

just you all listening helps me so much thank you all

thank you hells am looking forward to your reply

and you are right we should stick togeather

Aamanee

LOST
SOULS

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
Aamanee
one of many

I am currently:

yea we have them here i wouldn't be able to go any were if it wasn't for those buses

:wheelchair:i can just roll on with my husbands help

LOST
SOULS

Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
Aamanee
one of many

I am currently:

I need to get a cover for my legs as when it rains my legs get really wet and i get very cold

I don't want to end up getting the flu.

LOST
SOULS

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
Sleepless123

I am currently:

Hi Amanee I am really sorry im slow replying to your thread.i hope you dont mind me bringing it back up.i saw it the other day but wanted to put some time aside to read it properly as i knew i would want to reply.im so glad your posting this though im sorry your struggling a bit at the moment.i also think that you and the others are right that we should all stick toghether and help/support each other as much as possible.

I am registered blind with little sight [or as the newer terminology would probably have it i am severely sight impaired].i have had sight problems from birth.Part of it is inherited from my Mum and part of it isnt.i can see a little amount and i feel lucky for that as i have known a lot of people with no sight at all.And as amazing as most of them are [and many of them i admire for who they are and their awesome skills/abilities] i cant imagine how difficult a lot of things must be for them.i also have severe mental health problems but have a CPN currently who supports me with that.

i guess the way i am with my sight cos ive had problems with it from birth has kind of become normal to me.It is normality for me so though i get frustrated at times it does not bother me much.But sometimes i do feel quite frustrated and can also feel quite alone!Thats why im so glad you posted this thread.Thank you.

Going off topic i notice there is some discussion about the buses in this thread.Cos of being registered blind i get free travel on the local buses and generally i have to say i find both the drivers and other passengers quite helpful and understanding except for a few times and those times have really knocked my confidence but i guess you are often going to get that.i use the buses a lot to get around.They are safer for me than walking especially in unfamiliar territory but sometimes in familiar places too and i often dont know how i would cope without them or my free bus pass lol!

Sorry ive rambled on a bit here but just wanted to say anyway really i think this threads a great idea so thanks and it is good to know im not alone with my disability or overcoming it!Also i notice that a lot of you have mentioned being passionate about disabled rights.This is also something im very keen on and feel extremely strongly about as well so it is good to find other like minded people.

And i just want to say Aamanee if you or anyone else in this thread [or even who hasnt posted in this thread] wants to talk anytime or would like the support of a fellow disabled person please feel free to PM me anytime.

i hope you are all ok!

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Sleepless123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #20
Lindsey

My boyfriend has both heart and kidney failure. He could be registered as disabled but he doesn't want to because he doesn't like to admit that he is.

He doesn't tell many people about his illness. His heart starting playing up one night and he waited till I was asleep until he went to hospital. He doesn't tell me or his family about his operations until afterwards. During his last operation on his heart he died for 4 minutes.

It's really tough because his kidneys are going to fail, and he's not ever getting new ones. His twin is a match, but he won't take his kidneys. His twin has 2 little girls and my boyfriend says he is not risking anything happening to their dad. So the hospital moved him right down the transplant list as he refused the kidneys.

Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)