RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
shatteredbits
Deirdre

Feeling ... HAPPY!

I've battled with self-harm for the past four years. It has been something that has taken its toll on me and affected both relationships with other people and myself. I thought I was in control of the demon, but I hadn't realized how out of control things were getting.

Last month I hit a very low point. I don't wish to get into much detail, but needless to say, I filled up my bathtub and called my best friend freaking out. She yelled at me, and told me to stop whatever it was I was going to do. She told me I was better than this, that I was worth something, that I meant a lot to her. She told me I needed help.

That was the last day I self-harmed or thought about actually commiting suicide. It's been nearly one month and I am free. I have been able to stop before for months on end but I never felt happy or satisfied without my blade. I feel that I am free now because I do not want to self-harm. I can not honestly say that I do not think about it, I do. It is not something that I can just stop thinking about, but I know in my heart that I do not want to go back to self harm. This has been the first time I felt like that.

Since I have stopped my life has gotten better. I am going out more and while I am not always in a state of joy, I am not miserable. I no longer avoid people, or hide in my room for days on end. I am cynical --- yes, but I am not as bad as I was before. I still have hard days, but I am dealing with them in the best way possible. When things happen that would normally urge me to self-harm, I no longer feel that urge. Sometimes when it does come back I distract myself and think of my friends reassuring voice on the phone that night, or the average life I have and the good life I can lead in the future. I think of things that make me happy and I think of everything I want to do and see.

I am happy.

I just want to let anyone on here know, that you are all capable of stopping and most importantly everyone is worth living a beautiful life. <3

Thank you to everyone on here who has continued to support me over the year or so. It's been one of the best things in my life! I hope I will continue to have the strength to get me through the hard parts in my life without turning back to the demon of self-harm.

xx

shatteredbits is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 28-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Louise
A Ray of Hope

I am currently:

I am glad that you are happy, you have done so well. pleased for you. x

“Never lose faith in yourself,
and never lose hope;
remember, even when this world throws its worst and then turns its back,
there is still always hope.”

Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
pixiedust_11

I am currently:

This is so beautiful to read. It's wonderful to hear how you've managed to experienced life on the other side of the fence. Still thinking about self-harm is natural, seeing as it has been a huge part of your life. However, you should praise yourself for just how far you've come considering you were at such a low point only a month a go. Remember this moment, and take a mental image of the feeling so you can take it out to look at time and time again. You are beautiful and strong, and I know that you can continue to do this; not just for yourself but also for others too.

Chin up, you are loved xx

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world awaits in darkness for the light that is you.

pixiedust_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
shatteredbits
Deirdre

Thank you both so much! <3

shatteredbits is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)