Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Xrachie86X

I am currently:
Risperidone Advice

I have been prescribed Risperidone for my delusions and I just wondered if anyone has ever or is currently on these meds. I'm taking 3mg at night and it makes my limbs feel really heavy and i'm tired a lot. Has anyone had any positive or negative side effects with this drug and has it worked for you. Would appreciate any advice, thanks

Xrachie86X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

i was on it for a little while and i was very tired all the time.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

x-dying-inside-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

im not on resperidone, but i am on antipsychotics and i felt really tired and heavy a lot too x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Lil'MissLaLa
Art is a lie that makes us realise the truth

I am currently:

ive been on respiridone and experienced the same thing. Wat i can say tho is that as ure body gets more used to it, it will subside. Just hang on in there xx

'Imagination is more important than knowledge'

http://maddani.deviantart.com/

Lil'MissLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Starburst
After all this has passed, I still will remain

I am currently:

It has a sedative effect. What time of day are you taking it? It made my muscles twitch so I came off it but I hope the side-effects subside for you. It's a good drug and really helped me a lot, shame the twitching was so bad.

x

Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
I got stripes

I am currently:

I'm on an anti-psychotic and it makes me really tired as well, I spoke to my psych about it but she said pretty much all of them have that side effect. Hope it wears off for you soon. xx

I got stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

I'm on risperidone too.

It made me tired to start with, but it's got better with time. It's a bit harder to get up in the morning, but my limbs aren't heavy anymore.

It slows my head down and bit and quietens the voices. Doesn't make them go completely, but they are manageable now.

I hope it helps you.

xxx

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
*..life in pain..*
Irene

I am currently:

im on it. it makes me so tired and its so difficult to get up in the morning. but it gets better.

My RYL family:
I-used-to-be-positive is my big sister razorxkissedxwrists is my mommy alyssa.star is my sister phoenixflames_forever is my cousin concreteangel, helpmydeath, xxbeckyxx and queer fringe are my little sisters bob--says--hi is my twin

pm me anytime

*..life in pain..* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I was on 4mg and I put on a bit of weight and felt really tired.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
numb
No-looking-back

I am currently:

It had the same effect on me, so i just stopped it and relapsed, not a good idea, I should really start taking it again.

Hope ur ok xx

numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Steel Maiden

I find that olanzapine doesn't have that bad side-effects, for myself.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 14-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
pixiedust

I am currently:

I'm on 0.5mg at night and I find it really helpful. It does make me tired and I do have one of the rather embarrassing and annoying side effects you get if you take it for a long time, but it is helpful. I only take it now when I need to rather than every night.

Sometimes the way in life seems cloudy...But remember, after the storm comes clear skies

pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust View Post
I'm on 0.5mg at night and I find it really helpful. It does make me tired and I do have one of the rather embarrassing and annoying side effects you get if you take it for a long time, but it is helpful. I only take it now when I need to rather than every night.
Tardive dyskinesia? I appear to be developing that myself.

Old 14-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Tardive dyskinesia? I appear to be developing that myself.
Eeep. No-one tells me about these things. What if i get it

Old 14-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry-Gashes View Post
Eeep. No-one tells me about these things. What if i get it
I've been taking antipsychotics for 3 years and 1 month now. I get twitches in my neck and legs, but not that often. Sometimes I get a period of time where my arm muscles contract randomly, but that comes and goes.

How long have you been taking meds for?

I most probably will have to take these meds for years to come. Oh well. *reaches for procyclidine* After Saturday, my meds are now at 15mg olanzapine. At least that means I don't need to take sleeping pills. Although it means that I get the shakes more easily.

Procyclidine counteracts some of my olanzapine's side-effects.

Old 14-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
hammy

I am currently:

hi
I took olanzipine for a while, then risperidone, now quetiapine and haloperidol. Anyway, they did help. Olanzapine knocked me out to start with. Risperidone in the end gave me tardive dysknesia (however your spell it). But dont worry if you do get this yourself, as soon as you notice symtoms of it (twitching, chewing actions...) just mention it to your doc. The doc should notice it anyway in you as its very easily noticed by those around you. The problem is easily reversed. As soon as I stopped taking the med the problem went away. Psychosis started up again but hey now I'm on another med and it works as best it can.
good luck
keep in touch with the doc and all should be fine
xx

live life to the full

hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #17
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I was on Risperidone and it made me sleep 19 out of 24 hours for the first month.

Other side effects I got was developement of breast milk and no periods (which I didnt mind).

But I had a really bad spell with it. I was physically shaking so much that I was exhausted (and I couldnt sleep), I was drooling so much. I was twitching, and my muscles couldnt move. Meaning that I couldnt climb out of bed unaided, use the toilet unaided, eat unaided, dress myself unaided, wash myself unaided. I wet myself and the bed so many times because I couldnt get anyone to help me go to the toilet in time. Which is embrassing considering I am only in my 20s. After a day of that my GP told me to get off the medication, as it was Parkinsonism. Fortunately after 3 days the effects stopped and I have no long term damage. I really would not wish that on my enemy.

For me, I wouldnt touch Risperidal with a 10 foot barge pole, I would rather spend my life locked in hospital. But for some people it may work. But I do warn people what I went through - my psych didnt warn me of the potential side effects.

I strongly urge that if you do notice any twitching or shaking, get yourself down to your GP or A & E immediately. If my horrible incident can stop people here from going through the same experience then I consider it worth it.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignificant_one View Post
I was on Risperidone and it made me sleep 19 out of 24 hours for the first month.

Other side effects I got was developement of breast milk and no periods (which I didnt mind).

But I had a really bad spell with it. I was physically shaking so much that I was exhausted (and I couldnt sleep), I was drooling so much. I was twitching, and my muscles couldnt move. Meaning that I couldnt climb out of bed unaided, use the toilet unaided, eat unaided, dress myself unaided, wash myself unaided. I wet myself and the bed so many times because I couldnt get anyone to help me go to the toilet in time. Which is embrassing considering I am only in my 20s. After a day of that my GP told me to get off the medication, as it was Parkinsonism. Fortunately after 3 days the effects stopped and I have no long term damage. I really would not wish that on my enemy.

For me, I wouldnt touch Risperidal with a 10 foot barge pole, I would rather spend my life locked in hospital. But for some people it may work. But I do warn people what I went through - my psych didnt warn me of the potential side effects.

I strongly urge that if you do notice any twitching or shaking, get yourself down to your GP or A & E immediately. If my horrible incident can stop people here from going through the same experience then I consider it worth it.
Ouch that's not nice. I'm glad that you recovered well though. I should really tell my dr about the twitching and shaking etc
When I was last on olanzapine I produced some breast milk and my periods stopped. Although now I am on a higher dose and I've just at the end of my period today. Interesting.
I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Hm. What are you taking now?

Old 20-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #19
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Quote:
I've been taking antipsychotics for 3 years and 1 month now. I get twitches in my neck and legs, but not that often. Sometimes I get a period of time where my arm muscles contract randomly, but that comes and goes.

How long have you been taking meds for?

I most probably will have to take these meds for years to come. Oh well. *reaches for procyclidine* After Saturday, my meds are now at 15mg olanzapine. At least that means I don't need to take sleeping pills. Although it means that I get the shakes more easily.

Procyclidine counteracts some of my olanzapine's side-effects.

Only since august. But none of my drs tell me anything!!

Old 20-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Ouch that's not nice. I'm glad that you recovered well though. I should really tell my dr about the twitching and shaking etc
When I was last on olanzapine I produced some breast milk and my periods stopped. Although now I am on a higher dose and I've just at the end of my period today. Interesting.
I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Hm. What are you taking now?
I am on Quetiapine (Seroquel). I have been on that for over 3 years (4 years in October) and it is working a lot better than Risperidal. I have met someone in the past that had been Risperidal for 10 years and it worked for him.

The side effects I get with quetiapine are weight gain, muscle stiffness (only occasionally though) and it makes me very drowsy in the morning.

My psych in his last appointment mentioned that he was thinking of trying me on another antipsychotic in the next couple of months. Because of what happened with the Risperidal I really dont want to change though, mainly because I am afraid history will repeat itself, and unlike the last time, I now live on my own, and if anything does go wrong, I wont have anyone to help me (since I dont have visitors every single day). But I am going through some bad stuff at the moment, so I doubt that it will happen for at least 6 months time. If ever.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)