Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
numb
No-looking-back

I am currently:
Worried about Uni

Hi, Can anyone give me some much needed advice. I have been under the care of a mental health team for 2 years now and November just gone was admitted to an acute psychiatirc ward for 14 days, i am now pleased to say being in hospital was a real eye opener and i have stopped self harming and stopped trying to take my own life. I have applied to uni in the UK to do Mental health nursing but one of the criteria's is to pass a medical examination. Does anyone know if the uni can reject me for being an inpatient? Will i ever be able to be a nurse now i have been in the psych ward? Im really worried i have blown my chances now.

Thankyou for your help,

Take care X

numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
sopranonut
*Han*

I am currently:

I'm training to be a mental health nurse in the uk now. I have been in hospital over 10 ten times in the past and been sectioned.

You have to have a medical screen where they ask you questions about past medical history etc. and you must be honest. I was completely honest with them and they asked to see me before i started the course and asked me a few more questions about it, i was really terrified they wouldn't let me start, but they had no problem with it.

I found that my experiences really helped me to get on to the course as i even talked about them in the ineterview (had to really when they asked why i wanted to do it!) buti think it has been a positive that i could see it from the other side.

However, be careful that you do not rush into it. I had been better for about a year before i started. Now i'm struggling again and finding that it's bringing up some issues from the past and i feel that i went into it a little too quickly. Of course there is not set time as to how long you should be better before you start as it will be different for everyone. But i think they might want you to have been out of hospital for about a year before you start. I was actually still with the mental health team right up until the point i moved away to go to uni.

I think it's great that you want to do this and help others. Whereabouts are you applying to? Are you applying to start in september?
I hope your applications etc. go well!

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Life breaks most of us in the end, but afterwards some of us are strong in the broken places
~ Ernest Hemingway

sopranonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
mitch

I am currently:

They cant legally discriminate you for being unwell. They may even look at your past history and see that you have invaluable skills to become a mental health nurse. Go for it you have nothing to lose! I have a rather long history too and got accepted into medical school, they believed that having these experiences allow me to have more compassion which is very important skill to have in the health sector.

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
sopranonut
*Han*

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
They cant legally discriminate you for being unwell.
They can actually because of the type of job it is, it is one of the few ones where they can discriminate.

Life breaks most of us in the end, but afterwards some of us are strong in the broken places
~ Ernest Hemingway

sopranonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Spoons

I am currently:

it dont think it matters what has happened in the past, obviously what they are worried about is if you are stable now. They want to know if your well enough to do the job at hand, they are not going to automatically say no becuase youve been in hopsital.
if you tell them how youve learnt from it, and its made you want to work with people like that, then it may even benefit you.

We are not our failures...

Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)