RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 30-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
bitomato

I am currently:
Bipolar people

I sourced a really great book about staying well with bipolar. Was wondering if anyone was like a health care practitioner who was "successfully" living with bipolar?
Do you have any role models (famous/ not famous people) living with bipolar that inspire you?
I had a teacher living with bipolar who inspired me.

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,
it’s not working for polar bears
.” Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Check out the books by Kay Redfield Jamison. She's the top psychiatrist at Johns Hopkins and she has quite severe bipolar.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
The Herbalist.

I am currently:

Stephen Fry. So much Stephen Fry.

The Herbalist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

^ I don't have bipolar but that a million times that. Try his documentary The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
The Herbalist.

I am currently:

Here it is!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGDl6-lyfMY"][subtitled] Part 1: Stephen Fry The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive - YouTube[/ame]

Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
frenchhorn
Oliver

I don't have bipolar either, but Stephen Fry is a role model to me. His documentary was amazing.

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.

frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
bitomato

I am currently:

Yes to Dr. Jameison- are there any non actors that are bipolar?

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,

Old 03-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
The Herbalist.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitomato View Post
Yes to Dr. Jameison- are there any non actors that are bipolar?
Honestly can't see why this makes a difference... suffering is suffering, regardless of chosen profession.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
bitomato

I am currently:

I've seen the Stephen Fry documentary. There is a certain allowance that is made for actors IMHO and having a condition like bipolar for stars such Chris Brown, Catherine Zeta Jones and others can be used as an excuse or a fashion accessory. They may be able to channel their creativity and hypomania etc. into their work. I am just interested in hearing more about every day persons who are surviving withe diagnosis in the world. It is not just about suffering- I actually am more interested in theories of staying well.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Rachel Perkins is a British psychologist with bipolar

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #11
bitomato

I am currently:

Black box is a new series on ABC- just seen a clip but I think it is similar to Do no harm. I think it sensationalizes the mental illness though. And I do not believe suffering is suffering. Disclosure is a big part of working with mental illness and I think that it compounds matters when either the employer or the employee cannot acknowledge the elephant in the room. Even the client is entitled to their opinion about mental illness- but ideally it should not be an oppressive work environment. My experience has been that one gets sifted out in university because the commonly held view by educators is that persons with mental illness should not be health care practitioners. Then you actually go into practice and realize that the best ones are often certifiable or even certified.

Old 31-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
xxmoonxraverxx
Lilli, 18, Florida

I am currently:

as bad as this may sound, emilie autumn. i'm not bipolar, but i do have bpd which is basically bipolar on steroids with abandonment issues. she describes all the medications and doctors perfectly.

X X X X

|-/

xxmoonxraverxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I should add that whilst currently ill and in hospital I have been working in mental health for the last 18 months or so!

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen

Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
bitomato

I am currently:

My background is healthcare also, but I came from having severe discrimination at the beginning of my studies and if it was not for meeting one significant person in my profession with my diagnosis I possibly would have dropped out. Right now I am between jobs so I consider it fool hardy to out myself, but I do plan to document and share my experiences eventually- once I get stable enough to do so. I realise that quite a few people on RYL have health care jobs or are studying it.

I find vignettes- or stories of "real people" living with bipolar are more helpful to me at the moment. I am just at that stage in my life where I choose not to be public, and I need to know that is okay. Celebrities are public figures- therefore their meltdowns and private lives tend to be given intense media coverage/ scrutiny whether accurate or not.

Last edited by bitomato : 07-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #15
Jelly Fairy
A girl's best friend is always a horse....

I am currently:

I have BPD so not quite the same as bipolar, but I work with challenging children in residential placements, some of which have severe mental health issues.

Jelly Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
bitomato

I am currently:

Has anyone disclosed to their employers in health care? That is probably my biggest fear because of the stigma and lack of disability discrimination laws. I don't want to be the precedent- but it feels like it sometimes.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I'm open as my job is based on me having lived experience I haven't encountered any stigma and most people have bed very supportive. I work in a few different teams.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #18
bitomato

I am currently:

http://ibpf.org/blog/finding-work-wo...polar-disorder

Found this article and was pretty excited about it. Everyday I want to be public about my condition and it is so challenging to not out myself. I am working on deleting my facebook account and just making my life less open to the world.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
ihatethereforeiam
Rosie

I am currently:

Whoa, first post in absolutely years.

But yeah, I'm a learning disability support worker/psychology graduate, my diagnosis flips from bipolar to BPD to depression/anxiety (depending on the psychiatrist), I have so many colleagues with moderate-severe mental health problems, it seems a lot of us flock to these sorts of jobs. Also my dad is a retired GP, who like me suffered with dissociations and anxiety.

BPD is not the same, but often seems to be diagnosed interchangeably with Bipolar II, but Marsha Linehan, the leading psychologist who developed Dialectical Behavioural Therapy had BPD and was initially diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Feel free to PM me any time; whether you want support or just a chat! x

"
She's been everybody else's girl
Maybe one day she'll be her own"

ihatethereforeiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #20
bitomato

I am currently:

http://www.upworthy.com/demi-lovato-...-others?c=ufb1

My therapist shared this with me today.
Right now going through a rough spot, and surprised to see this thread still salvaged.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)