RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:
MH Nursing?

Hey all, I just want to ask people’s views. I’ve started questioning what I’m doing in life. I have a pretty sweet deal where work has paid me and paid my uni fees to do my nursing degree. And I’m a bit into my 2nd year so not long left really. But... I’ve started to have a dilemma where I feel that we are setting people up to fail. I don’t agree with the system we are trying to support people in.

We let people get into a crisis situation so they get admitted. We do hardly any therapeutic interventions and then we discharge them prematurely for them to go to the community stop their medication and relapse and go through the cycle again. In forensic setting they commit a crime end up in the system and then we medicate them to their eye balls and then release them where they may not be able to integrate into society because of side effects so they stop their meds and the cycle begins again.

I don’t know if I can keep being part of the “professions” that think they are helping. In all honesty what difference can we make if the money isn’t their to make the changes?

But I just don’t know anymore what I could do as I’ve worked in mH since 2014. Just feel so lost.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Heya, this sounds like an unpleasant situation to be in and I can understand why you're having doubts. I guess in some ways I feel similarly about teaching and the education system, but on the flip side, us leaving our occupations wouldn't make it any better! All we can do is try to make our little bit of the system a better place by 'being the change we wish to see' or whatever. You can't change the whole system nor are you expected to, but your ideas and contributions can make a difference to the individuals that you work with. Obviously you have to consider what's best for your own health and wellbeing, but I don't think you should worry about the morality of being part of the system- it's better off with you in it. I'm unsure if that makes sense?

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 04-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
PhenMichel
This Member is currently Banned

I am glad to hear such sincere words, it's all very difficult, it's just a paradox..I don't know if you have found your solution, but I just want to say my words of gratitude that there are such honest and wise people

Old 19-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Closing at thread-starter's request.

No other sadness in the world would do

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)