RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
an0ther1

What do you think I should do?

I am in dire need of some life coaching. I'm eighteen, I graduated high school a couple months ago, I'm not in college. I made the strange decision to move from my home town to Florida because I have some family that lives there. I'm staying with family right now except I can't seem to find a job. I am the most indecisive person on this planet, so I need your advice deciding what to do, maybe there are other things I could do that I haven't even thought of yet. I am jobless, friendless, sad, broke, not going to school, and my mom and siblings are all back home. I really want to travel to Europe, but I can't afford it right now.

1. Should I stay here in Florida and find a job? I've already been on over 4 interviews and have had no luck landing a job. I also miss my family and am sick of being here, but am worried if I go back, I'll never amount to anything because most people who don't get out are stuck there.

2. Should I just pick a major and go to college? I really am not interested in college right now because I'd rather not waste my money if I don't even know what degree I want, but it seems to be the thing most people do after graduation.

3. Should I go back home and save up for a trip to Europe? It seems the most appealing but what if I get there and still can't find a job? I would feel really really down if it's the same situation there.

If you think of anything, anything at all- Please give me some advice.

an0ther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 15-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

None of us here are life coaches or professionals. So keep that in mind.

With regards to Europe, you need a specific type of visa to work and live there if you are wanting to do more than just visit. So you would need to look into the specifics of that- generally you need an employer before moving who is willing to sponsor you for the visa. That said, wanting to visit isn't a bad goal to work on saving up for, however you choose to do that whether it be at home or in Florida. Also Europe varies a lot, and you may want to narrow that down. Things will be different country to country.

School, I would say from experience, don't go to college if you don't want to be there. You're right that if you do, it's often a waste of your time and money. You won't do your best if you are not motivated to be there. You can always go later at some point, or look into other options like certificates, adult training courses, and community colleges.

With jobs, my friend with a college degree and years of work experience just moved to a new city and it took over six months, dozens of interviews, and hundreds of job applications to get a part time job similar to the full time job she had in her old city. It's really hard to get a job. Four interviews is, unfortunately, not a lot and you'll likely need to do more to get a job. One thing you can do once you get rejections is to contact HR for those companies and ask for advice or ask what you could have done differently to be a stronger candidate.

Also with jobs, one way to test things out is to volunteer for places you may want to work. This gives you experience, and often volunteers get higher consideration for paying jobs in the future than non volunteers. It's also great to have on a resume for if your work experience is limited.

As far as moving back to your hometown, I guess it depends on your family, your feelings, and weighing your options. Things to maybe consider would be living costs, proximity to future jobs, transportation, as well as expectations from your family if you were living at home and trying to work.

I think the thing is, it's okay to not really know what you want to do. Is your family supportive? Can you talk through any of your options with them?

Also if you think a life coach or therapist might be helpful, are there options you could look into either where you live or that would be accessible online?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)