RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
cloudedmind

I am currently:
forcing self to stay awake as a form of self harm?

Does anyone else do this? When everything first started I felt I was not deserving of sleep, and had to stay awake as long as possible. The later it was , the more likely it was someone would like me. I also did it to punish myself for being a loner, etc.

This was when i was around 12 or 13/14, now I am 18 and although i do suffer from insomnia, I've realised that on bad days, I still force myself to stay awake. I'm not sure whether this is conscious or not, but I will often stay up until i am almost crying and in pain from tiredness, despite having to get up the next day.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar, and whether you think it counts as a form of 'self harm' if you like? (I know the term doesnt seem to fit but it sort of does if I'm doing it with the intention of punishment / depriving myself / damaging my body in a more subtle way through exhaustion?).

I feel at a loss about how to stop myself doing it as I often dont realise (so maybe it's more of a compulsion?) And I haven't figured out what triggers it (sometimes when i feel awful I just sleep, so it isn't always the same) plus it is hard to decipher between being wide awake and wanting to be wide awake. Basically, if I can't figure it out I have no idea how to deal with it.

Maybe I am just crazy.

Last edited by cloudedmind : 29-08-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: trying to make sense!
cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 29-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
TheLoneWolf

I am currently:

I completely get that, it's now hard to tell whether it's actual difficulty sleeping or if it's a choice. But there's that saying "no rest for the wicked" and I guess that's what I've been going by :l

I'd also like to know if this is classed as a form of self harm, but it's definitely self-deprivation. Hope you manage to sleep soon or in the foreseeable future x

I feel insane every single time
I'm asked to compromise
Cause I'm afraid and stuck in my ways
And that's the way it stays
So how long did I expect love to outweigh ignorance?
By that look on your face I may have forced the scale to tip

I'm not insane, I'm not insane.

TheLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Bluegirl

I am currently:

I definitely do this. I am in a therapeutic community at the moment & they def class it as a behaviour.

Bluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
nowhereman

I am currently:

I do this sometimes but I usually end up catching up on sleep the next day, or else I stay awake for days then sleep for days. Sorry I've no help but you're not alone.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Rilic
Loon

I am currently:

I've kind of always had insomnia, but I've never thought of it as a SH behavior, I've just never wanted to sleep. Sometimes, I hate the idea of having to sleep, of needing to sleep to function, and I can force myself to stay awake for 3 to 6 days, or even longer, before I kinda just shut down. But only for a few hours, like someone's idea of a normal 6-8 hours then I'm up and ready to start all over again.

"Alright, gang. I'll ignore that some of you are late... if you ignore that I'm the latest."

Rilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
nowhereman

I am currently:

I used to be afraid to sleep in case everything was gone when I woke up.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
cloudedmind

I am currently:

I don't think I am afraid to sleep, or that I do it because I hate 'needing to sleep' - I actually love sleep in that it (supposedly) refreshes me, and also it stops me thinking for a while. But it's weird, when I feel low I feel the urge, the need, to stay awake as long as I possibly can, and I can't figure out why.

cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)