RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 29-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Morpheus

hmm

so i broke up with my partner through two and a half years about a week ago because i was very unhappy in the relationship. however, my parents wont accept my decision because they think i am heading back into a psychosis again. i dont know how to convince them i am not psychotic but simply was unhappy in the relationship and is sad because of the break up. my mum also has this theory that i get psychotic at this time of year, every year which i cant convince her is not happening now. i am doing much better than i have and i just need to move on with my life but my parents are really working against me and my decision and think i should stay in the relationship because they are scared i wont cope on my own.

i dont know how to convince them i am not psychotic and simply doing what i feel is best for me. does anyone else have experience with people not accepting your decisions because of your mental illness?

Den fuldkomne kærlighed,
Kan ikke eksistere blandt ufuldkomne

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 29-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
MagpieBlues
Maria

I can understand this.

I dont really have any advice because im going through a pretty rough time myself, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

I guess just if your parents bring it up keep telling them the reasons why you broke up and tell them that it's actually none of their business.

Hope you work it out.

MagpieBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
SavingGrace
Sliding back down the rabbit hole

I am currently:

Hey, I may make no sense or have rubbish ideas but, have you thought about just telling them that you aren't psychotic again or having any issues in that sense, repeating what you have already told them and leaving it at that for them to realise that you are actually doing okay?

I know it sounds daft, but since they seem not to be listening to you, maybe actually seeing you and seeing that you are doing okay will be the indicator they need?

Hope I make a little sense..

From Nymph to Dragonfly, I know my place.

Call me Bee. =) Like it or Lump it.

‘Cause the passion and pain are gonna keep you alive someday

SavingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

i've experienced this (not with psychosis, but with o.c.d.) and really the only thing that helped was to just keep going with what i thought was right, let them think whatever, and eventually come to the conclusion that i was ok

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Could you maybe speak to your psych and when he/she confirms your not psychotic then you can tell you mum you have seen a professional and they feel your ok.

X

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Morpheus

i have tried talking to them on several occasions but they wont listen and are now simply ignoring the subject of me breaking up with my partner, pretending it hasnt happened.

i cant see my psych in the near future so getting her in on this is not really possible.

Den fuldkomne kærlighed,
Kan ikke eksistere blandt ufuldkomne

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

i wonder... what does your partner think? if you're still on good terms with him, and he doesn't think you're psychotic, perhaps he could tell your parents that

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)