RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #81
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

I've been to quite a lot of the ones organized in my country. They were awesome. As says before the people are all welcoming and you could even make some friends there :)
I hope you can go to LAC(though I'm not really sure what that is. Or more like where lol). That would be an awesome experience I guess.

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #82
LemonTangWang
Sensual

I am currently:

So Soul Eater comes recommended then? It's been sitting on my hard drive for ages but I never got around to it. I've also got Bubblegum Crisis, Trigun and Claymore waiting to be watched, anyone seen em before?

wubalubadubdub

LemonTangWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #83
Palladion

I am currently:

I would definitely recommend Soul Eater, someone else has already mentioned it but the art style and animation is more 'western' looking than other anime, but I really like it, it's quirky!

I can't say anything about the other series you've mentioned, although Claymore is on my to watch list, i've heard good things about it :)

We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken

Palladion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #84
no_Brakes

So anyways, Psycho Pass is amazing. I'm only about halfway through it, but it's absolutely incredible. Completely hooked.

I've been wanting to watch Soul Eater and Trigun both pretty recently. Not sure about Claymore, but it looks like it'd be pretty good. Going to put it on my watch list. No clue about Bubblegum Crisis.

no_Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #85
Asura

Claymore isn't bad. The ending was kind of a let-down, but if you like fantasy anime then I think you'll enjoy the series as a whole. I did.
The manga is longer than the anime, so I recommend that either over or in addition to the anime.

Soul Eater is overrated, but alright. When it came out everyone went bonkers over it.

Nous avons abrité tous les rêves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #86
LemonTangWang
Sensual

I am currently:

I've only watched the first ep of soul eater so far and it seemed a bit daft to me. I'll try and get through a few more and see if it gets any better.

Edit. I finished watching Air.

:(

Last edited by LemonTangWang : 21-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.

wubalubadubdub

LemonTangWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #87
Palladion

I am currently:

^ The first 3 episodes of Soul Eater are a sort of prologue, they each introduce a set of characters, then the actual plot starts afterwards. Although I will say the whole series is kind of silly, that's part of the appeal I think. It definitely doesn't take itself too seriously, so I can understand that some people are going to watch it and frankly just find it stupid.

I'm introducing my best friend to anime at the moment, she has only seen a few Studio Ghibli films before and she has said that she doesn't really 'get' anime a lot of the time, so I've made it my mission to prove to her that it can be amazing and definitely not just kids cartoons, which she previously thought it was. I'm currently watching Death Note with her, and I think I have her convinced already haha. I've shown her a few episodes of Hetalia as well and she enjoyed them just as much as I did, so I think my mission is going pretty well so far :D

Old 24-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #88
no_Brakes

I'd say Death Note is a pretty good first anime choice, that's sure to get her hooked. Never seen Hetalia. Angel Beats would be a good one too, I'd think.

Anyways, finished Psycho Pass, it's great. Recommend it to anyone. It is a bit violent at times, though. Just a warning. - Edit -- By a bit violent, I mean it can get pretty gruesome at times...I tend to understate things a bit. It's not totally overkill, but still, it's kind of gory. Still definitely worth a watch. Probably one of the best shows I've seen recently.

After I finished that, someone had recommended that I watch Chihayafuru. Honestly, the concept is a bit of a strange one, but good. Still waiting for the second season to finish, but the first season was great. Really lighthearted (big change of pace from what I've been watching lately).

I also just finished the first season of Darker than Black. Not sure exactly what to think. It was okay, I guess. By the end of it I was hooked, but it definitely started off pretty slow. Not the best anime around, but I like it. Going to finish the second season before I say anything more.

Oh, and someone recommended Bakuman as well. I think I'm going to watch that next. Concept seems a bit odd, but I'll give it a shot. Seems like a long watch, so hopefully I get a few more recommendations before I finish watching it. I'm starting to have trouble choosing what to watch, lol.

Old 24-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #89
Palladion

I am currently:

Yeah, whenever people ask me for a good first anime I always recommend Death Note, while it's by no means my favourite, it does a really good job of getting people hooked. I was actually planning on showing her Angel Beats next :D Great minds think alike haha. I've made up a list for her as well of shows I think she will enjoy. It looks like I will have a friend to go to conventions with after all now haha

I feel exactly the same way about Darker than Black, it had the slowest start and at one point I wasn't sure whether or not I would continue watching it, but it definitely got better, and I ended up really enjoying it, although I thought the ending could have been a bit better, I'm sure I will get round to watching the second season at some point, but it's not at the top of my list right now.

Last edited by Palladion : 25-04-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Old 24-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #90
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

There's so many animes right now I want to watch but I'm procrastinating!
Ugh
I'll probably start watching them in a months' time to procrastinate from exam revision. Oopsies.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #91
Rubik'sCube
Whatcha gonna do, lil' buckaroo

I have just started watching Death Note, only other anime I have watched is Cowboy Bebop (fell in love with The Seatbelts years ago and only recently got round to watching it. Awesome to finally hear the soundtrack put to the anime). Really enjoy watching both. Death Note is so addictive, definitely hooked!

See You Space Cowgirl

Uni Student Thread <3

Rubik'sCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #92
no_Brakes

Just finished the second season of Darker than Black. The second season started off about the same way the first one did. It picked up a lot faster, though. I think what makes it so strange is that it's kind of confusing. It doesn't really tell you what's going on, and you sort of end up figuring out for yourself. All in all, I liked the anime. Aside from the slow start and the abrupt ending, I think it was pretty good.

Now I get to try and find another anime to watch along with Bakuman. I guess I'll have to go through my list of anime I put down to watch but haven't yet...that might take awhile.

Rubik'sCube > Glad you're getting into anime :) Starting with those two should pretty much get you hooked. There are so many other good animes out there. You can probably find a few good recommendations if you go back through the thread.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #93
Asura

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBaej-Y1TI"]Ga Rei Zero-Pocky Scene - YouTube[/ame]

What more reason do you need to give Ga Rei Zero a try? :D

Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #94
no_Brakes

Lol, that one has actually been on my "to watch" list for a long time now. Along with a ton of other stuff. Guess that's as good an anime as any at this point. I'll give that one a shot.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #95
Palladion

I am currently:

So I finished showing my friend Angel Beats, we were both a bit tearful at the end. I even knew what was coming and I still cried a little haha. I really wish the series was longer, there are so many characters that I would love to know the back-stories of.

I also just re-watched Baccano, god I love that show. Anyone who has not seen Baccano seriously go watch it right now, you won't regret it. And I know a lot of people here don't like dubs but the English dub for it really is excellent.

Last edited by Palladion : 01-05-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #96
Asura

Maybe Highschool of the Dead? It's bloody and violent like Elfen Lied with some romance mixed in. Only thing is it's got quite a bit of fan service. Definitely more for boys than girls, but idk you might like it.
Also the anime has bizarre boob physics.

HSOTD opening

You could also try Canaan. It's about a girl with synesthesia (she can combine her senses) trying to avenge her murdered mentor, with some other stuff mixed in. I enjoyed it. Here's a trailer:

Canaan trailer.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #97
Palladion

I am currently:

Quote:
I haven't watched anime for years... I used to be hooked on it, & it was all I'd watch. I remember really enjoying Death Note, Fruits Basket & Full Metal Alchemist. Oh & DN Angel & Naruto. I have so much to catch up on!

What do you suggest I watch now? I want to start watching again but since I've already watched the ones most people suggest starting with.... I like stuff like Ouran High School Host Club, Elfen Lied, Claymore, & the ones I mentioned above. Action or romance?
x
Baccano!!! If you liked Elfen Lied, I definitely think you would like Baccano. Plus if you watch and enjoy Baccano, Durarara is by the same author and studio and has similar aspects.

Have you seen Code Geass? Many people that like Death Note, also like this, it has quite a few similarities but definitely a lot more action than DN.

If you haven't already seen it Eden of the East is one of my favourites, it's got a bit of romance, mystery and action.

Vampire Knight has a lot of romance, if that's what you're into. I really enjoyed it despite the similarities to Twilight.

Finally Full Metal Panic! It has a lot of action and romance, and another one of my favourite series, if you haven't already seen it I would definitely give it a shot.

I hope that's helpful and i'm sorry if you've already seen all of these.

Last edited by Palladion : 02-05-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #98
no_Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_Dash View Post
I haven't watched anime for years... I used to be hooked on it, & it was all I'd watch. I remember really enjoying Death Note, Fruits Basket & Full Metal Alchemist. Oh & DN Angel & Naruto. I have so much to catch up on!

What do you suggest I watch now? I want to start watching again but since I've already watched the ones most people suggest starting with.... I like stuff like Ouran High School Host Club, Elfen Lied, Claymore, & the ones I mentioned above. Action or romance?
x
High School of the Dead, despite all of the fanservice, is still a pretty good anime. Has a decent enough storyline. Haven't seen Canaan, so don't know about that one. I've heard a lot of good things, though.

As for Palladion's recommendations, I just started watching Baccano, and yeah, that one is great so far. Durarara is also awesome. Code Geass is in my top 4 (along with Death Note, Angel Beats, and Clannad). I've only seen the first season of Vampire Knight, and it was great (just never got around to watching the second season). Same story for Full Metal Panic. I haven't seen Eden of the East. But yeah, all of these recommendations are great.

And some recommendations from me...hm...I'll just list a few

Psycho Pass - just watched this one, definitely top 10. Mostly action.

Kokoro Connect - Interesting one that you may not have heard of. Great anime. This one's mostly about drama, I'd say.

Steins;Gate - Hard to explain. Has romance. Very interesting. Top 10 for me. Recommend it to anybody.

Zetsuen no Tempest - Just remembered this one. This one is great. Also top 10.

Hopefully there's at least one anime out of all those that you haven't seen. They're all a bit different, but they're also all great. The recommendations by everyone else are just as great, though. If you haven't seen Code Geass, I'd start with that first. If you have seen it, I'd say go with Psycho Pass or Durarara. Then Zetsuen no Tempest. Past that, they're all really great choices. Those four would simply be my top choices.

Oh, and if you like just straight up romance style anime, I have a few of those to recommend as well (rather than stuff with action also). I've delved into a lot of the different genres at this point, and like just about all of them. Just let me know if you want some more recommendations of some different genres.

Edit ----------------------------

Oh, and since I kept mentioning my top 10, it's worth listing them out, I suppose.

1. Angel Beats
2. Clannad
3. Death Note
4. Code Geass
5. Psycho Pass
6. Durarara
7. Zetsuen no Tempest
8. Steins;Gate
9. Sword Art Online
10. Elfen Lied

Order is mostly right, at least for now. Ask me tomorrow and I might change it, but it'll remain mostly the same. That's my current top 10. For reference, if you haven't seen any of those, I highly recommend watching them. Sword Art Online is the only one that hasn't been mentioned. That ones pretty amazing as well. Contains quite a bit of action and romance as well. Has some drama too. Great, well balanced anime. Again, though, they all come highly recommended.

Last edited by no_Brakes : 03-05-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added my top 10

Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #99
Palladion

I am currently:

Ooh top 10 lists, I guess I could make one of those, although, I'll probably end up re-arranging it at some point. I'm very indecisive haha. So I think at the moment my favourites are;

1. Angel Beats
2. Baccano
3. Code Geass
4. Full Metal Panic
5. Durarara
6. Death Note
7. Eden of the East
8. Fruits Basket
9. Elfen Lied
10. Ouran High School Host Club

Hmm yes, I think that's about right, I'm a bit sad that I can't fit Hetalia in there, it would be right after Ouran if I continued the list though.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #100
no_Brakes

Just finished Canaan. Wondering why I never watched that one before. It was amazing. If I had a place to fit it into my top ten, it would be there. Can't think of what I could drop, though. I think I'm just going to change my system to like A ranked anime, B ranked anime, and so on. Use a ranking system. That way I can put as many as I want into each ranking. For reference, I'd only put a few into A. Those would be like...Perfect, essentially. B would be just amazing, C would be good, D would be okay, but needed more, F just bad. I'll have to go through and rate all the anime I've seen.

Anyways, Canaan was definitely a B. Kind of wish it was longer. But yeah, great anime, nevertheless.

Only watched first episode of Baccano so far. Interested. Will continue watching tomorrow. Also only on episode 5 of Bakuman. I keep getting sidetracked with other animes, though. Bakuman will take ages to finish. I'll probably finish Baccano by the end of the week. Then I'll watch Eden of the East. I'm really interested to see that one.

Oh, and apparently Tasogare Otome x Amnesia has a similar feel to Angel Beats, which makes me want to watch it...alot. Doubt it will be quite as good, but hopefully it will come close.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)