RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
yoyogirl

I am currently:
Torn between two subjects

Hi all
As you know things with my last uni didn't go to plan and over the years I have wondered whether it is for me at all. I am now torn between studying psychology, which I feel is more structured, I know my way around it as I studied for a-level and there's a lot of resources and is BPS accredited, so I have extra support from BPS, plus a close friend of our family.
Or do I take the offer that's been offered for Health and Social Care and start later in October 2019?
A part of me really wants to go off to that university start, fresh from beginning in Health and Social Care and be with Myrtle, Catherine and co.
But the other side of me is saying, you know your way around psychology, it's straight forward.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Which one is better for having your own business/practice? Its nice to be able to work for yourself and not always have to be tied to a job provider.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
nonperson

I am currently:

I would always say to pick the subject that you enjoy most and that is the most engaging. There's nothing worse than studying something you're not interested in.

But it depends if you want the easy route (pyschology) or the one that you'll get the most out of.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Just to point out - a degree in psychology is nothing like an a-level in psychology. I have both and feel they both needed different skills to understand.

There's a LOT more biology in a psychology degree (for example, you will need to learn the full structure of the brain and how it functions) . And too much maths and statistics, way above my B at gcse pay grade. Hated that part.

A level is more structured because its topic based. A degree will blend topics into areas, and you'll end up needing to know degree information for your a level topics to understand how it all links together.

It's a really interesting degree, but don't go into it thinking it's as structured as a level, or that the content will be similar. Have a look at the course guide and try and get a sense of what that uni focuses on (mine focused on developmental and clinical psychology, for example. Others are more research focused).

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I am also thinking about how that i hated distance learning through the OU, but somehow liked it via other providers, but then I am thinking that at least if I stay with psychology from home. I can divert all my attention to it and less time thinking about the social life situation. I would find it more meaningful either way.

Apparently according to my parents, having friend or two actually cures mental health conditions, wow..... had friends when i had mental health conditons, had friends when didn't make any difference. lol

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 23-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I am still undecided on the decision at the moment, I put my final bits in the application for the psychology and as it starts earlier in the year and has multiple start dates. it still looks promising, however my other news is that I have spoken to Myrtle who was my tutor at the college and psychology degree as it's more straight forward after graduation and because it's BPS accreditated, the pathway would suit me better, whereas their degrees are very open to different areas of life and I still have complicated situation with regards to that degree... in that if I am unwell, and I have drop out I cannot take the credits and it's bit of gamble with mental health with the BPD and Fibromyalgia as both are unpredictable.
I also have to think about the pain and concentration levels of sitting for 2 hours that it find a struggle. On the other hand, I have already done distance learning before and found the lack of structure unappealing to me, a sense that you put stuff off and I need that extra pressure of other students, lecturers to get my ass in gear.

When I was on a trial basis, I found myself working long hours at night, working on the train, getting assignments done, not turning up to social group because of assignments deadlines. I was very focused and I loved being in Colchester, I had a community of people I knew in town, at the uni and me the cafe chick flirted for quite some time.

R.e maths and statistics - I have spoken to Arden in regards to that part of the course and although part of the course, it featured in the majority of degrees with research methods and it's something that I have touched on briefly when I was at Anglia Ruskin and UCC. It has nothing to do with algebra.... thank god :)

Perhaps i could consider taking the free options at local college in town first for a couple of weeks and then decide.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)