RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
CrazyHayley
Is an Incarnated Angel!!

I am currently:
Severely Triggering (ED) - Can you be sectioned for an ED?

Hello there, I don't know how triggerring this may be for people so I thought best to label on the safe side.

I am asking the question 'can you be sectioned for an ED?' as I am severley worried about my 23year old brother. He doesn't have AN or BN or had an ED officially diagnosed, though I know that a doctor that he saw at a hospital a few years ago about his nutrition did say that he had some form of eating disorder and wanted to take him into a residential programme for 6months, but he refused.

He has been ill since he was 3years old with M.E and due to the medications that he was put on, his digestive system got completely messed up and he frequently had to go into hospital for enemas and was on laxatives on prescription. At the age of 12 or 13 he was still sometimes having 'accidents' which I can only imagine how embarrassing it was for him even though it wasn't his fault. So he has always been underweight and a fussy eater, but over the past few years he has got a lot worse. He actually eats a whole range of foods, so calories and fat content don't seem to come into his ED, but the amount of food that he intakes is DRASTICALLY below the minimum that even a child should consume. It is hard for me to convey how bad it really is without breaking number rules (which of course I won't) but he can hardly do anything as he is so drained of energy and says he feels so unwell and sleeps badly. Yet he can't seem to see that if he ate he would feel better. He is just skin and bone. It is awful to see, no ones knees should be wider than their thighs. He has osteroperosis due to his poor nutrition and yet he won't take his calcium tablets.

I am watching my little brother slowly kill himself, I have never been so worried as I am now since I saw him at the weekend (I don't live at home anymore). He just rolls his eyes when we try to talk to him. He doesn't seem to grasp how dangerous it is not to eat. But what can you do when he's 23?! Can my mum 'force' him to go into a residential ED clinic? Would he be able to discharge himself? I fear that if we don't take drastic measures soon that it will be too late.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

"All battles in life serve to teach us something, even the battles we lose"

"There are moments in life when the only possible option is to lose control"

dontwantyoutoknow is my lil sis

I GOT LEI'D IN VETS!!!
I'm a Plumeria Tree!!!

CrazyHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Whispered Secret

Yes, you can be sectioned if two doctors see that you medically at risk from yourself. I don't know the details; I'll leave that to others who know more to explain.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Doikers
Louder Than God's Revolver and Twice as Shiny

I am currently:

I honestly don't know if you can be sectioned Hayley but when I was in the Psych Hospital last year there was a woman there who had an ED so people definatley can go into hospital for ED's . I'm just not sure if it was voluntary or enforced .

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep
Everyones lost but me! - Indiana Jones

It's okay , they know me here .

Kahlia1981 is my adopted little sister :)

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Doikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
In_The_Darkness
-.-

I am currently:

When I was in hospital last year I was actually with a lot of people with anorexia. Yes. It's a 100% possibility that if you are at risk of harming yourself you will be sectioned: whether you're depressed; schizophrenic or anorexic.

Hospital is a place of therapy...and Eating Disorders require therapy. All though it may not be an instant fix, medication and therapy can really help and there have been many cases where someone with a mental illness has been helped to return to their normal selves.

If your brother is severly underweight and still refuses to start looking after himself, partial or complete hospitalization would be neccessary...whether he goes in by choice or under section.

Hope this helps.

<3

Michael H

Need a one-to-one chat ? Feel free to PM me.

In_The_Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
livelaughlove
fated to pretend

I am currently:

I'm really not sure, My advice would be to ring your local hospital and explain to them your situation and see if they have any options for him, because it is clear he needs help.
Have you spoken to your Mum about your fears? Maybe if both you and her sit him down and implore him to see how dangerous his eating patterns are maybe he will see more clearly. I hope he gets the help he needs.

où est mon esprit ?

livelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
RemoteControl

I am currently:

People can be forced to go into hospital with ED's. My cousin was sectioned several times for AN when she was at her worst. However, the problem is that quite often this is just a 'quick fix' - with the aim being mostly to get their weight up a bit so that they dont literally starve themselves to death. once their weight is up, quite often they are discharged into outpatient services, which is where they will recieve their long term therapy.

so maybe getting your brother into hospital would help as in it would increase his weight to a more healthy level, but the likelihood is that he will discharged once 'stable' into the outpatient services - and thats voluntary.

Thats why quite often people with ED's can go into hospital numerous times - because its mainly just to get their weight up, not for long lasting therapy - that is done when they have had some nutrition and their brain is working a bit better.

But that is a massive generalisation, and only what I have personally experienced/seen.

I really hope you manage to find some help for him - it can be heartbreaking watching someone put themselves through this.

RemoteControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
RemoteControl

I am currently:

oh, and I live in the UK - so thats for the UK, not for the USA or anywhere else - I dont really know what their services are like.

RemoteControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
CrazyHayley
Is an Incarnated Angel!!

I am currently:

thanks for the replies so far. Yes I'm in england so under the NHS uk system. Well the fact that a doctor previously reccomended 6months hospitalisation can give you an idea on how underweight he is. He spends most of his time lying down in his bedroom as he gets too lightheaded & dizzy when standing up! My mum and I have tried talking to him and he just rolls his eyes at us and says "I know, you've already told me" but says that its not his fault that he doesn't feel hungry. He says he feels sick if you try and force him to eat. I feel like strapping him down and pouring soup down his throat or something - but obviously this isn't a constructive or legal solution, but common sense and talking with him aren't doing any good. I don't know when it went from being a kid who associated too much food with needing an enema, to an adult who won't eat. To me its obvious that he needs help, some form of counselling along with nutritional support. But he doesn't think he has a problem, he puts everything down to his M.E. But as I too suffer from M.E and mental health problems, I know that it is not his M.E thats killing him, but an ED that he can't see that he's got or that needs to be treated. But its so hard to help someone when they don't want to help themselves - but I've got to try, I can't watch him kill himself like this.

"All battles in life serve to teach us something, even the battles we lose"

"There are moments in life when the only possible option is to lose control"

dontwantyoutoknow is my lil sis

I GOT LEI'D IN VETS!!!
I'm a Plumeria Tree!!!

CrazyHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

Yes, sectioning is very possible when someone is suffering from an Eating Disorder, it can happen due to a low weight or dangerous behaviours.

It sounds like you are really worried about your brother and I would be too if I were in your position. I'd suggest that you either get him a Doctors appointment and try to see what they can do.... Or, phone an Eating Disorders hopsital or clinic and try to find out information from them.

A low weight can be a sectioning factor and if they are concerned for him they will section him. They can also put people on medical wards for a very short period to stabalise then before they go into an Eating Disorder Unit.

He may, after having spoken to people, realise the severity and make the decision to do this for himself. A lot of people deny there is a problem when suffering from an Eating Disorder.

Look after you too. xxxx

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

As everyone else has said it is more than possible.

What is an option is if he won't see a GP etc,, you can call the police,, they will section him under their section & then take him to a psych ward or something for further assessment.

x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

yes you can be sectioned depending on how low your bmi is and how much at risk you are

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)