RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - Graphic question

This might be too graphic for some. I apologize. I don't know where else to go and ask. I don't have anyone to talk to irl.

- - - -

I cut last night. I was drunk, and I went deeper than I meant to. I startled myself because it bled so much so suddenly, so I stopped at the one cut. Once I'd gotten the bleeding stopped, I just dressed it and went to bed. I know...that was stupid. I should have gotten it looked at. I was wasted, and I made a bad call. I didn't even put steri strips on it, because they make my skin blister. That was also a stupid decision, I know.

Today, when I went to wash the wound and change the dressing, I saw that it was even worse than I thought.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : Graphic
The fat layer and connective tissue have been cut completely through on one whole edge of the wound, and I can see something smooth and dark that I think is the muscle underneath. The wound isgoing horizontally across the back of my forearm. It gapes, but the edges don't flex when I move my arm, so it's fairly stable.

Am I too late to go have it looked at? It's been a little over 24 hours now. I have the materials to care for it myself, and I know how. I've successfully cared for bad cuts before. But, though I've cut through the dermis before, I've never handled anything worse.

I rubbed a little antiseptic salve onto the skin around the cut, and put a big sterile dressing over it. If it is too late to have it looked at, is there anything I need to know for caring for it at home?

Thank you, and I apologize if I'm out of line or my post is too gross.

Last edited by Aardbei : 03-01-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed wound size
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I would advise you to urgently get it looked at
only a doctor can decide if they can still do something about it

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 03-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

Thanks for the swift response.

I won't be able to go to the doctor until later today. I don't drive, so I'd need to ask someone for a ride. It's three in the morning right now where I am. I was just wondering if it was worth it to go. I don't have much money, and I need to shepherd my resources carefully.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

I understand that having to pay makes you a little reluctant to go “just in case“
I don't have much experience with self harm wounds personally but it sounds pretty serious from your description

My suggestions are 1) read the First Aid guide on RYL, 2) PM a Wound Care First Aid member from here and/or call a helpline that you assume has a reasonable amount of experience with self harm that might be able to advice you or better yet, any sort of medical helpline if such a thing exists.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 03-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

Thanks for the suggestions. I might look around for a helpline. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

I just really want to tell you to not waste time and go to the ER but like I said, I understand it's not that simple.

I hope you find someone who can give qualified advice.
I just think as you're window for getting it treated is getting smaller and smaller waiting another several hours might have a huge impact on the healing process, risk for infection etc

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

You're very kind. :) The concern means a lot to me. I don't mean to be difficult.

If the people I live with didn't all have to work early today, I'd definitely ask for a ride when they got up. I live in a rural area, about an hour away from the nearest 24-hour medical facility. I could probably talk one of my housemates into a ride later this afternoon, though. One of them only works until four, and I'm sure if I told him what was going on, he'd be glad to help. He's pretty cool.

I know my window of stitching is almost certainly closed, but I'm still hoping to get some care advice from a professional. I feel like I'm in over my head.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Just to say, I agree with everything that's been said already. As you say, stitching is unlikely to be the best option at this stage, it is still important to get this seen by a professional. I hope you manage to get a lift sorted soon.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 03-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and get a ride this afternoon.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Cedrus

I am currently:

I had wounds on my leg down to the muscle that i didnt get seen to. i then went to hospital for another wound on my leg and when they saw the ones to the muscle they decided to operate (basically giving it a good clean, cutting out dead tissue and suturing it up). so even though its late for stitches something still can be done.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

I just wanted to say that I got into the ER today and got it looked at. I'm now worryingly broke, but it was the right decision.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)