RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:
Please, help. I think I'm developing an ED.

In spite of having a vast array of mental health issues, I've never really struggled with food as much as I do lately, and now I'm confused and don't really know what to do.

I'm bigger than I've ever been, which is something I sort of can cope with, if not for the fact that I kept gaining until I nearly completely stopped eating. I am currently on the very verge of getting overweight, and I gained a lot of weight in less that a year. The main reason is probably because I suffered brain damage and my mobility significantly decreased.
Lately, I am unable to keep anything remotely like a healthy diet. As soon as I begin to think about calories or nutritional values, I panic and I just can't eat anything at all. To make matters worse, I've always got really sick when I'm anxious, so if I do force myself to eat, most of the time I just can't keep it down. The thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have the best effect on my mental health. My psych suggested that I just should eat healthy food and I will lose weight, but a) whenever I think of food in terms of heathy/unhealthy, I panic, all the food seems scary and I can't eat and b) I can't afford a healthy diet, I live in a place with a harsh climate where fruit and veggies are pretty darn expensive and I am really, really broke. I lie to people (including doctors) that I'm on a diet, when in fact my diet comes down to barely eating anything. I don't know what to do. On one hand, I don't want to make myself really unwell. On the other hand, I am afraid of becoming very overweight, and even obese. After all, I can't excercise, the most physically challenging thing I can do is walking with the help of walking aids.

Can someone give me a bit of advice on how to deal with it?

Juella is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I'm sorry to hear that you've found yourself somewhat stuck foodwise. I also don't like thinking about food in terms of healthy/unhealthy- I believe there's no such thing as a 'healthy' food, just a healthy balanced diet incorporating a variety of foods. Are there any types of fruit or veg that are cheapest where you are? Maybe looking into the cheapest sources of fruit/veg would be somewhere to start and you could plan meals around that, making sure you leave space in your plans for some of the foods you love as well! How are you with cooking?

After your brain injury did you have any rehabilitiation or physiotherapy? Maybe it would be worth speaking to someone in that field about what physical activity is recommended for someone in your position (i.e. I'm not sure whether it would be recommended that you try to go for a walk regularly or not).

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Perhaps view treats as a once a week thing and then once a month so you don't feel deprieve, i used to eat lots of treats and unhealthy foods back in the day. But then I realised that i had gradually ween my self off and within days i went completely treat-free. and it got easier. I then discovered i had so much more energy despite being in pain.
perhaps set a stopwatch or something similar to see how long you can go with your favourite chocolate bar or perhaps limit yourself to one small fudge a week. (20p) i swapped my chocolate bars for those health bars in holland and barratt. it made huge difference.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Be careful with health bars as they can be high in sugar. Some of the lower in calories so called junk food is actually better for you.

In the meantime I would cut off the fat in your meats and look at the way you're cooking food ie grill rather than fry.

As for fruit and veg in most countries sticking to what is in season in your country is actually cheaper than what's imported.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)