Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2020, 05:01 AM   #1
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:
What gets you cooking/eat like a human?

Probably strictly speaking not an ED thread, but I guess it fits here the best anyway?

So, whereas I guess I *technically* speaking don't have any ED behaviors, my eating is still a bit messy. It's mostly that my eating is a bit erratic and I rarely do actual meals/rely on snacks to get me through the day or don't eat for too long and then overeat as a consequence.

Current issues that keep me from improving:

- came from a foreign country and have a very limited set of kitchen stuff i.e. I don't even own a pot or a pan or anything
- living in halls and being super avoidant of running into my housemates i.e. avoiding the kitchen whenever possible
- my sleeping is erratic too, so regular meals are not a thing
- I am super picky when it comes to food when it comes to texture, smell, flavor etc, even with the things that I eat as soon as it seems in any way "off" just the thought of putting it into my mouth makes me literally gag
- I seem to not tolerate a lot of foods/food groups, but don't always know what exactly made me physically unwell i.e. I seem to not handle well most spices, dairy can be an issue if I have lots of it and there is definitely fruits and nuts that make me feel sick if I have loads of it
- I genuinely hate cooking/meal prep, like, it is one of the most annoying things ever to me to make any meal whatsoever because even cooking pasta seems too high effort, not to mention doing all the washing up etc as a consequence

My wallet, my body and my mental health can't handle the way things are going currently. I am genuinely making myself ill. I don't know what to eat though and I don't know how to take the pain out of making meals or how to get used to it. With lockdown coming though I want to avoid having to go to the shop as frequently as I have been. I could probably survive on a bread and ramen diet, but I also know from experience that my mental and physical health prefers a diet low in carbs and high in proteins and fats.

How do people motivate themselves to eat like an actual human being rather than a five year old left to their own devices?
What meals/foods/appliance etc has helped you to take out some of the hassle? I don't need to get into cooking, but my life would be a lot easier if at least I wouldn't feel resistance in every single fiber of my body at the mere thought of doing meal prep.
What has helped other fussy eaters? What foods are enjoyable to you?
How do other people practically addicted to carbs reduce these and up proteins/fats?
(Note: I know nuts are technically healthy/good, but they are unfortunately also a binge food for me, which is how I found out they make me sick after a certain amount)

I know this is long, so thank you for reading.
I am grateful for any advice whatsoever, even if it's little things or like one food suggestion etc.

Sorry for making such a fuss about this, it's probably just me being too lazy to do normal adult things.

:skull emoji:

"... but me? Me? I am a thousand years old, you can't kill me!"

3 Hugs Given By :
Old 02-11-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

I don't think you're being lazy.

I will try and come back to this properly, but one thing I currently am eating a lot of is beans and rice. Is there any way to combine a protein and fat source with your carbs when you eat them and just make a bunch of it? For me I can make a giant thing of rice and beans (in the microwave) and have that for multiple days. I'm blanking on a fat to throw in at the moment, but it could definitely be done. I usually try to heat up a frozen vegetable to mix in with it too, but that is of course optional if that is not your thing.

But canned beans and dry rice are also the kind of stuff that is easy to buy in bulk and won't go bad, if you're okay with eating the same thing a lot.

So if for you the things you like/ are good with are bread and ramen, are there things you can have with those to get you some protein and fats? I don't know if you eat meat or not so unsure what specifically to suggest.

I pretty much eat the same things at the same times every day. That's what works best for me, but I am aware that isn't for everyone. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you can set reminders on your phone every 4-5 hours to eat?

But yea basically for me having easy stuff that I can just microwave, or make all at once (still in the microwave) and eat over the course of a few days makes eating go much better. I also time things so that if my dog eats a meal, I eat a meal.

I will also say that if pre-packaged or pre-made meals or specialty foods are easier for you as well, there's no shame in getting them as long as you can make it work for your budget. A lot of the foods I buy are more expensive, but because I can eat them, it's worth the money. If for you that means you order a takeout and just order like three or four items that you can eat over a few days instead of doing a grocery shop, that's worth the money too. Just whatever you can to eat is worth it, even if it's maybe not the "norm."

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, Camden!

A lot of what you say seems useful/worth thinking about.
I might take some notes after I got some sleep and see what I want to try/how to modify your suggestions so they might work for my needs.

I do technically speaking eat meat, but I don't like most meats and often prefer vegetarian or vegan options.
Chicken/turkey and fish is just about what I will occasionally eat.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Just a note to say you can also pm me about this if you want - it's a lot of similar stuff to what I've struggled with.

I hope you get some sleep!

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

Thank you so much, Camden!

I got some microwavable rice today that I can just have with sauce from a jar for now. I think maybe it will get easier to add food groups etc once I have a sort of eating routine established?

I am not against eating the same thing for a week or two, though it might work better for me to have three or four go to meals and vary them. I tend to eat the same food a lot once I find something that I like, but after a while I might get a strong aversion if I overdo that.

I will think about setting reminders on my phone. I'm not good at having or maintaining a routine, so that might help with that too?

Lio, I do love eggs and I didn't really think about how supposedly they can be cooked in the microwave (I am a bit skeptical of that, but am willing to give it a try). I'll keep that in mind and will see if I can add eggs and baked beans to my go to foods.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

I also moved my dish soap and sponge into my room so I can do my dishes in my bathroom sink, because as pathetic as that is, otherwise they will not get done and just be an extra step to take to get myself to eat.

Today has been ultra bad foodwise, as in, I am physically unwell from the way I (don't) feed myself. It's a bot frustrating tbh.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:06 AM   #7
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

If doing dishes is hard, there is absolutely no shame in using paper/plastic plates and silverware, etc.. I get that it's seen as wasteful but if it means you can eat it is worth it.

Can you get some type of meal or protein bars? Or are those gross to you? If you can find a couple that you like having those on hand to just eat something can be useful. Or if there's a kind of cookie or anything else that you like, having something somewhat calorie dense to just shove in your mouth, even though it's not considered "healthy" is worth it. Just eating is the most important thing, no matter how it occurs.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

It might sound a bit lame but could you have a sticker chart to record successes?

Are ready meals an option? When I, ahem, changed my relationship status, for a while I rented a room in a lady’s house and the advert said that you could use the lounge when she wasn’t using it but the lounge was attached to the kitchen and instead of asking about its usage I ate breakfast and lunch at work and then awkwardly sneaked into the kitchen once it went quiet and heated up a ready meal in the microwave and scuttled back to my room and ate it with the fork I bought and then washed it up in the bathroom. You can eat ready meals out of the packaging it comes in so it really is just a fork and maybe a knife to wash up. Don’t know if something like that might work for you? And if not, there was a nice anecdote of my awkwardness for you to enjoy!

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Old 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Food although i eat it has no taste or texture to me, it just feels bland and nothing, perhaps my taste buds have gone south i don't know?

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Yoyogirl I really think you need to make a separate thread if you’re going to reply to support threads solely to discuss your own issues, making no reference to the thread-starter and offering no thoughts, advice or support.

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Just a thought have you thought about a slow cooker? You can dump everything and leave it on (all day if necessary). I use a slow cooker and it's very hard to burn anything. There's a little bit of prep in some browning of some meats (mainly sausages) but this is strictly not necessary and if you're like me can plan when you have the most energy. The biggest problem is remembering to turn it on in plenty of time but this can be solved by using a plug in timer as most dishes take an minimum of 4 hours cooking time. You can buy special liners which you throw away after each use if washing an big pot seems too much hassle. If you do I recommend getting at least 3.5 litre one as you can fit a whole chicken in and anything smaller may not be practical. Just a thought because if you're like me and don't fancy eating at 6 pm but fancy something at 7 pm you can just leave it in the slow cooker without worrying it's gonna burn.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #12
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Slow cookers often aren't allowed in university housing, at least in this country. But it definitely is a good option if you're allowed one.

How are you getting on Lana?

Old 08-11-2020, 09:02 PM   #13
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

Slow cookers are potentially a sensible idea.
I might be allowed one if it passes the test thingy for electrical devices

Food and eating are a joke right now tbh
This thread feels like a farce bc it's pretending I believe I can do better.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #14
Auror.
Aurors for the win.

Just wanting things to be different than they are is progress and absolutely something to be proud of.

Do you know what's making them so difficult right now?

Old 09-11-2020, 02:21 AM   #15
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Slow cookers often aren't allowed in university housing, at least in this country. But it definitely is a good option if you're allowed one.

How are you getting on Lana?
Ah apologies for the suggestion I didnt realise.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

It's just that all my other issues now are majorly outdoing my eating when it comes to severity and intensity while at the same time the eating aggravates all of my other issues.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Locking on OP's request.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)