Live Help

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Heliopath

Wound Care Question - Healing

Ok, I got some stitches just over a week ago now, and they came out yesterday. The actual wound itself seems to have healed fine, but the area it's in is really swollen. I was wondering if this is normal, and will go down, or whether it's due to the damage that's been done and is more permanent.

Thanks.

3 Hugs Given By :
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

along with the swelling is there any puss or pain/

was a deep cut that effected your tissues?

there are two things that come to mnd , infection or damaged tissue

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Animad

Was it swollen before you had them taken out or just since? Is the swelling hard, soft or lumpy? Is the wound/ area surrounding it warmer than normal to touch? Did you just have stitches in the skin or did you have internal ones too (just yes/no answer for that last bit unless you want to PM me or another First Aid Advisor)? I'm presuming the stitches got properly taken out and didn't just come out/ you took them out.

It will still have some healing to do especially depending on the size/ depth/ it's location (only give info like that again via PM and it's not something I need to know) and if it's in an area where clothes rub against it or where the skin is constantly being pulled or stretched then it is likely that it is still inflammation as part of healing and it should go with time.

If there are internal stitches there then it may be that your body is reacting to their presence/ the chemicals they release as they breackdown and then that is potentially something that needs looking at as there is the potential for needing surgery to correct that.

There also probs such as infection which would usually make there area hot to touch and reddened and would need to be looked at as it would likely need a course of antibiotics and maybe draining out puss but as the wound has healed fine and it looks ok then that is less likely though still a possibility.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Heliopath

It's not infected and I didn't have any internal ones, no. It was swollen before they came out, but I assumed that was to do with the bruising, only it hasn't gone down. It's not hard, but it's not amazingly soft either - somewhere between the two. It's not a painful swelling, it's just...swollen. It's sore to touch, but that's because it's still healing over, not because of the swelling.

It is in an area that the skin is well used, if you like, but I've not had it happen before.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

sound like the same as me.
i have tissue damage which has left the area raised

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Animad

Yeh, it will just still be healing over and so that's what you'll be seeing. Once the stitches are taken out there is likely to be still some healing in the tissue underneath that is taking place and just further healing around that site just to make sure everything comes together nicely so I wouldn't worry about it right now as you got the stitches taken out only yesterday a bit of swelling is to be expected and I imagine that if it was something else/ if it has appeared to worsen a lot since you saw the whoever took the stitches out, then they'd have mentioned it if it wasn't going normal. Overtime it will come down and should be back to normal.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)