RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

Signature/Avatar Guide and Help Team.

On RYL your signature and avatar are a great place for you to express yourself, put your favourite quotes, pictures and anything else that makes your profile reflect you! To help you make your signature the best you can, here are a few tips on setting it all up.

Before you add your avatar and start designing your signature - please keep in mind the RYL Forum Rules. When you're choosing any pictures or quotes, make sure they're not too triggering, feature tools/blood/thinspiration and anything else that goes against them. Give them a quick read-over again before you get started :)

Right - so what's an avatar and how do I get one?

For both your avatar and signature, you'll need to access your Control Panel. On the left-hand side of your screen will be a long list of options. Underneath the heading "Settings & Options" - you should have the ability to "Edit Signature" and "Edit Avatar". Your avatar is a little icon/picture that appears on the left-hand side of all your posts, at the top of your RYL Journal (if you have one) and on the right-hand side column in RYL Chat.

Hit "Edit Avatar". You'll come up with a few pages of pre-defined images to use as your avatar. Feel free to flick through these and look for one you think suits you best. If you want a custom picture as an avatar, you have two options:

Option 1) Enter the URL of the image to the bar with "http://" in. Make sure it's the URL to the direct image - for instance, on Photobucket, you would need to copypaste the bar under your chosen picture called "Layout pages - direct link".

Option 2) Simply hit "Browse" and use a picture you have stored on your computer. (This is generally the easiest option)

Once you've done this, click Save Changes and you're all set!

What's a "signature" thingy? What can I put in it?

Your signature appears under all of your posts, like your own personal "stamp" - and you can add anything you like! That's the beauty of them. Have a look around the RYL Forums or at the featured Signature(s) of the Month in the eZine to get some of your own ideas. Most people have some kind of lyrics/poetry, quotes, pictures they like or photographs they took, an inspiring message or similar. They can be mood-reflecting, supportive, creative, funny - the choice is yours.

Sweet. How do I make my own?

First of all, clicky onto "Edit Signature". There, you'll have a blank box to fill in as you like! Bear in mind, for space, you have ten lines to work within. Along the top, you'll have the options to use different fonts, sizes and colours if you're wanting to write something in your signature.

A neat little trick that isn't featured along the top but that you may like to try is strikeout! Simply put [ s ] at the beggining and [ / s ] at the end - remember to close the gaps! You can also change whether you want any text/pictures to the left/right hand side or central.

To upload a picture to your signature, the easiest option is to add the image direct from a website (ie. Photobucket). To do this, select the Forum and Blogs code just underneath the picture in the text boxes and copypaste that straight into the white box on you Edit Signature panel. Make sure you get the "Forum" image link - otherwise you'll end up with a white box with a red cross through it instead of your chosen image.

You can also add links to things, like your journal, or the link to send you a PM, without all that http://www.etc etc stuff. For example, if you wanted to link to your Journal, you could write "My Journal" in your sig. Then go to the page you want it to link to, and copy the address in the address bar. Go back to your sig, and highlight "My Journal", and press the button. Then paste the link to your journal, and press "OK". And you're done!

If you want to add one of the brand new virtual bracelets - check out the latter part of this thread to find out where to get them and how to upload!

It's a good idea to keep hitting "Preview Changes" as you're working so you get an idea of how it looks :)

Where can I go for help or ideas creating my signature/avatar?

If you have any questions about the above, feel free to post and ask them or PM me (Euphoria Blossom) or Caz (The Stolen One) if you need any help with ideas/design. If you're concerned over what you think is/isn't appropiate or in line with the RYL rules, feel free to contact one of us or check it out with any of the Forum Moderators (the ones in red on this list) with any queries over the rules.

Happy designing!

Last edited by one_step_closer : 16-05-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: un-egging

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Caru y Nos

You got my "remember to post the below as it is now completed!" PM, I see (: lol

Nice post :E

Dead to the world. Alive for the journey

Caru y Nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Oliviaface

Chels, we're not allowed recovery tickers anymore, I thought?
I may be wrong.
>.<

Oliviaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

The rule wasn't in place when the guide was written - I'll edit it now.

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Caru y Nos

^ Maybe it would be worthwhile mentioning Liz's bracelets? (:

Dead to the world. Alive for the journey

Caru y Nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

I have a question - I don't have photoshop or anything and I'm not arty in any way. The only way I can think of doing a good signature is to copy one from somewhere but that would break copyright rules surely?

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Freedom Fighter

Almost all signatures here break copyright laws tbh

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

righto - just assumed everyone must have some kinda software but fair enough thanks for replying

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Gone.

Yeah, the pictures in my signature are usually taken/formulated by someone else. I think that's true for most people.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I totally did my sig all by myself...

LOLJK..I stole it.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
Freedom Fighter

Your GIF is a copyvio if we want to get down to the nitty gritty. My avatar is too because it is a cropped section from a copyrighted painting. I honestly wouldn't worry at all. We aren't a source of lost revenue.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)