RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
kasey2005

How to explain the butterfly project to friends?

Well, I am in high school, so when I draw butterflies on my arms, people are bound to ask questions. Last year I was struggling for a few months, so everyday I would draw a butterfly to remind me that I did not need to relapse. I was a freshman, scared of judgement, and socially awkward, so I told people that I drew them because I was bored. This year I have made some good friends who don't know that I used to cut, and they keep making playable jokes about how I always write on myself. I want to tell them why I draw, but I am scared of how they will react.... Also, do you think it's ok if I say they help me relieve stress?? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Love_Bug

I am currently:

Saying that they relieve stress would be a good way of saying it. Just be prepared if your friends ask more questions. If at any point you get uncomfortable with the questions just say it is personal and that you don't want to talk about it. Most people back off when you say that. You could also add that you went through a rough patch and that that was when you started drawing the butterflies, and that they made you feel better. That's what I would do. That was if you want to tell them you about your SI they will already know you went through troubles.
Let me know how it goes! Good luck
And feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I went through something similar in high school, and I know how stressful it can be. <3

As long as I stay in this moment I will be safe

Love_Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Rilic
Loon

I am currently:

I think I know just how you feel. I've always been socially awkward, so I isolate myself, but now I live in halls with people I actually like and get on with. I did not expect it or plan for it, and I feel like I want to tell them why I go out all dressed up and refure to take my armwarmers off, or why I can't even take them off when we're all inside and it's perfectly warm.

I don't know how to explain something as personally important as the butterfly project. It's something everyone should understand, right. You actually manage to stick to it and it helps you, that's amazing. I applaud you, I really do.

I think I would advise the same as Love Bug, that after a rough patch, butterflies helped you calm.

"Alright, gang. I'll ignore that some of you are late... if you ignore that I'm the latest."

Rilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
kasey2005

Thanks for the advice! I am just in a very good place right now, and I finally am gainging trust in people. I think I'm going to go with the stress reliever, or I may say that I do the butterfly project for a friend (which isn't always a lie).

Old 27-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
Rilic
Loon

I am currently:

I hope it goes well! Hopefully, you will one day be able to tell them the full truth, and you will find they are fully supportive. Good luck

"Alright, gang. I'll ignore that some of you are late... if you ignore that I'm the latest."

Rilic is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)