RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:
Impact of low mood.

How do you limit the impact of low mood? I need to work on my coping mechanisms. I cope pretty well most of the time, because I'm generally happy, but sometimes I get low for a few weeks and everything goes to pot.

I don't clean/tidy the flat. I don't shower. I don't go to work/turn up late and dishevelled. I don't talk to friends. I don't go to church. I don't attend social events. I cry. I spend a lot of time in bed. I don't get dressed.

How do I do the opposite of these things? I know I need to, but at the time even doing the smallest thing seems insurmountable.

I don't understand how I can be OK for ages, then all of a sudden - WHAM - and I get all low and dysfunctional. How do I not do that? I think asking for no low periods is probably asking a bit too much, but how to I limit the effect they have, or even lessen their duration?

Any advice welcome. :)

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 30-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Thinking about doing all those things at once is probably really intimidating, but what about trying one at a time? So maybe aim to be on time to work, if a little dishevelled, or aim to text one friend, if not talk to anyone in person or on the phone, something like that?

When you are in a period of low mood is there anything you find comforting? Maybe you could reward yourself with one of these things if you manage to tidy or shower or get dressed?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
__T

I am currently:

What the person above said. One at a time. Try comforting safe things. What I found very useful was to try & separate feeling and logic, have good distractions nearby etc.

__T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Voldemort

I guess it's making yourself do it. One thing at a time, but you do it. Like, say you have work in the morning. Set your alarm. Go to sleep. Wake up. Get up. Etc etc. It feels impossible but you can do it one thing at a time. If you think of everything you have to do it can get a bit overwhelming but routine is really helpful for positive mental health so it's important to keep going. But also reward yourself for doing things. You got through work? Great! Now kick back and watch a film, etc etc.

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:26 AM   #5
Cedrus

I am currently:

I agree, breaking down daily tasks into manageable chunks might help. Perhaps before you go to bed, write on a post it note 3 things you need to get done ( 1 for AM, 1 for PM and one for the evening) the following day. Set yourself reminders and reward yourself for getting things done.

One thing that helps me when i'm trying not to sink is trying to keep my thoughts in check. If I start ruminating of fixating about things that arent going well or thinking about myself badly it has quite a big impact on my mood. I'm not sure how your thoughts are during the low periods, but i've noticed, for me, they can have quite a significant impact on mood.

Also, I'd say try not to self berate. If you're struggling and things are difficult, thats okay, maybe its more a task of doing as much as is possible and trying to give yourself positive reinforcements.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)