RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Moonlight Princess
Never forgetting to be awesome

I am currently:
Low mood on periods

Hello folks!
When I'm on my period I notice that my mood drops considerably. I start feeling very anxious particularly in the morning but also in general. I also experience feelings of hopelessness and I start feeling like there is no point in anything. It feels like being depressed again for a week and a half every month. It's really unsettling having these feelings arise seemingly out of nowhere and this month I had some fleeting thoughts around suicide. I know that soon I'll feel better but while it's here its really hard to cope with.

Is it worth going to the doctor about this or should I just man up a bit? Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Last edited by Moonlight Princess : 02-08-2016 at 10:11 PM.

You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you wish to make.

One Hug Given By:
Old 02-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
chinahorse

I am currently:

Contraception helped solve this issue for me.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Moonlight Princess

I am currently:

Ah okay thanks Lillie, I did have a little look at the pill but was put off by their mention of mood swings! What kind of contraception are you on can I ask?

You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you wish to make.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
chinahorse

I am currently:

Im on the depot, I find it has really evened out my moods more than any pill.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I used to get pretty low on my periods both for psychological and physiological reasons.

I found going on the pill (progesterone only) makes the world of difference. It really helps my physiological mood problems with periods and makes the mental stuff much easier to deal with too.

I'd stay on it even if I wasn't in a relationship.

Plus it's made my periods pretty much non-existent.

Imperfection is underrated.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I had this when I with one type of contraceptive pill but a different type removed it completely.

Changes in hormones can do all sorts of things to your mood. It is definitely worth speaking to a doctor or prescribing nurse (depending on your surgery) about this. There are so many options out there for contraceptives even if one type doesn't help you there most likely will be another that will.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Moonlight Princess

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinahorse View Post
Im on the depot, I find it has really evened out my moods more than any pill.
So is the depot a regular injection then Lillie? Glad it's helped to even out your moods. It's something to think about, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
I used to get pretty low on my periods both for psychological and physiological reasons.

I found going on the pill (progesterone only) makes the world of difference. It really helps my physiological mood problems with periods and makes the mental stuff much easier to deal with too.

I'd stay on it even if I wasn't in a relationship.

Plus it's made my periods pretty much non-existent.
Less period stuff is a nice added bonus, thanks Jodie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Am on the pill (Cilest is the brand but not sure of generic name) which helps a lot. I also take an extra antipsychotic in the week prior to my period assist.

X
I'm glad that's helpful Irene. I didn't know you could take extra meds or extra, dosages to assist but that's something I was wondering because I began to think I should just go back on AD's. The problem there is that I never took them consistently anyway, but if I get adequate contraception I can see if this is a specific hormonal thing or a general slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoes View Post
I had this when I with one type of contraceptive pill but a different type removed it completely.

Changes in hormones can do all sorts of things to your mood. It is definitely worth speaking to a doctor or prescribing nurse (depending on your surgery) about this. There are so many options out there for contraceptives even if one type doesn't help you there most likely will be another that will.
Thanks Sarah that's really reassuring.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'm on the depo (you have it every 3 months)
It sorted out period related moodiness! I don't actually get periods at all now which is a win!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
chinahorse

I am currently:

^that. no periods, no mood swings and it saves you so much money on tampons!!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 AM   #10
Moonlight Princess

I am currently:

Oh god what a win! I'm going to ask about it!

Old 27-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
hellokitty69

im on the depot n havent had a period or any pmt since then, which was about seven yrs ago. (im 32) i love it as i had issues around periods in general n now nothing. check for side effects as once its injected u gotta put up with any, probably none, side effects.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)