Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
15 Science Factlets You Didn't Know

SOURCE

These mini-facts are all science based and, for the most part, should be news to most readers.

Factlets 1 – 5

1. Raindrops are not shaped like a teardrop (as they are almost always depicted in drawings) – they are actually spherical.

2. When something “sublimes” it turns directly into a gas from a solid – bypassing the liquid state. This is what would happen if you throw dry-ice into a fire.

3. Gorillas sleep in nests (pictured above) – they weave together soft foliage and bent branches from trees. Males tend to like sleeping on the ground while females like to have their nests in trees.

4. Champagne doesn’t fizz because of carbon dioxide – it fizzes because of dirt or dust. In a completely smooth glass with no dust molecules in it, champagne would be completely still.

5. Most digestion occurs, not in the stomach, but in the small intestine. This may be the reason that a person can be bulimic whilst still staying fat.

Factlets 6 – 10

6. The red juice that comes out of rare steak is not blood – it is myoglobin a close relative of blood. Almost all the blood has been removed from a steak by the time it hits the market.

7. Plastic bags are better than paper bags for the environment. The manufacturing process that makes paper bags requires far more energy than that which produces plastic. Recycling paper bags takes more energy than recycling plastic, and paper bags take up more space in a landfill. Because landfills are usually airtight beneath the surface, paper and plastic are equally bad at biodegrading.

8. Polar bears are fascinating creatures. Their fur is transparent (not white), their skin is black (not white), and when kept in warm humid environments, their fur can turn green from algae.

9. Pet allergies are usually not allergies to fur but allergies to the animal’s dead skin, saliva, or waste matter. Regularly cleaning pets can dramatically reduce allergies.

10. The tongue map is a lie – you can taste all tastes on all parts of the tongue. The tongue map is derived from a discredited German paper from 1901.

Factlets 11 – 15

11. When you hold a shell to your ear to hear the sea, the sound you hear is actually your own blood rushing through your veins! You can use any cup shaped object to hear this effect.

12. When you are alive, your brain is pink. When you die, it turns grey. While we describe the brain as “gray matter” and “white matter”, this is not a true description of its color.

13. Mercury, the fascinating liquid metal is not the only liquid metal. Gallium (Ga – pictured above) is solid at room temperature but will melt if held in your hand, caesium (Cs), and francium (Fr) – the second rarest naturally occurring element, can also be liquid at or near room temperature.

14. Dolphins don’t drink water – if they drank sea water it would make them ill and potentially kill them. They get all of their liquid needs through the foods they eat.

15. The Soviet Union was the first country to have a spacecraft on the moon – not the Unites States. In 1959, Luna 2 was the first craft to crash-land on the moon. In February, 1966, Luna 9 was the first soft-landed craft on the moon which relayed back pictures. Four months later, the United States landed its first craft on the moon (Surveyor I).

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
forever_lost

I am currently:

I knew 9 and 10! And that's cool about the polar bears, I never would have expected any of that about them.

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

I love stuff like this. Not sure I particularly enjoyed the bulimia comment though, but that's probably just me.
Rest of the list was interesting, though :)

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I will just remind everyone that every list I post has been pre-approved by the moderators.

Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

Okay! :) As I said, it's just me. I did enjoy the list though :)

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

I knew all of them except no. 7, that's a depressing one.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Nargles
Aimee :)

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelina View Post
I don't quite understand the connection between the bulimia comment and where food is digested though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Interesting list though, I didn't know that gorillas slept in nests! :O

Nargles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargles View Post
I didn't know that gorillas slept in nests! :O
little additional factlet for that, they build a new nest every night. even if they haven't moved on to a new area they build a new nest right next to the old one.

06.November.2011

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Now that I know the sound of the sea is actually blood, I feel nauseous when I cup my hands around my ears :( woe. Also feel a bit 'eurgh' knowing that the fizz in champaign is caused by dust and dirt! Is it the same for other fizzing drinks?

Once again fantastic facts though! I absolutely love reading these.

*bonus points for breaking the routine and posting 15 instead of 10*

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

carbonic acid is the reason why fizzy pop fizzes, but the reason the bubbles form in the fizz works on the same principle as champagne bubbles. the bubbles grip to tiny microscopic pieces of dust and dirt which cover everything, when stuck to these particles they can cling to other bubbles until they swell up big enough to be seen, then they float up. Almost like condensation on a window, the water droplets cling to the surface, gathering and building other droplets until they run down the window.
This is why if you sometimes look closely at a glass with a fizzy drink in it the bubbles seem to come from nowhere.

washing doesn't ever get rid of it because even water residue contains it, the dirt also clings to the tiny grooves and imperfections in the glass or cup.
it's really nothing to worry about, you probably inhale more dust and dirt in one breath than you would find in your entire mug and glass collection.
it's as impossible to remove as the bacteria in your gut.

Last edited by Feel_Good_inc. : 08-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.

06.November.2011

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Left Phalange
Phillip, look at me, I'm a stamp!

I am currently:

I don't understand the bulimia comment either, any clarity on the fact?

The only thing I can think of is laxative use, for example the food will still be digested even if someone with bulimia uses laxatives as it still has to travel through the small intestine.

Apart from that, I'm stumped.

Interesting list though!

I'm gonna tap him like a maple tree. I'm gonna search him for some syrups. I'm gonna be having sex with him.

Left Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

it's only a theory, but I think the bulimia comment is supposed to mean that even though a person may empty the contents of their stomach, it doesn't matter, they can still gain weight depending on how much food has already been passed into the intestines; which is where it is really broken down and absorbed into the body.

but I can't say for sure, I only post the lists, I don't write them.

06.November.2011

Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I guess then, it depends how long they wait before emptying the stomach.

I'm going to have to drop the subject, it's starting to sound like tipsharing to me.

I will just add John Prescott said he was bulimic for years.

06.November.2011

Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

discussion and conversation is a good thing.

06.November.2011

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
LizzieRose
♥ Beloved Lunatic ♫

I am currently:

11: I always thought it was a muffled echo of the outside sounds (ie. people speaking, footsteps, etc.). Though I have only done it when it was noisy, so...

Major Depression | Asperger's Syndrome | Anxiety NOS | Hints of OCD

Close your eyes. Don't you cry. Love's around you. In time, you'll fly. Don't you worry about the dark. I will light up the night with the love in my heart. I will burn like the sun that will keep you safe and warm. Like the smell of a rose on a summer's day, I will be there to take all your fears away. With the touch of my hand, I will turn your life to GOLD!

LizzieRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)