RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
learning_to_fly

I am currently:
Triggering (Sexual Abuse) - Recovered memory stuff - vent

This is a vent about me, not attacking anyone else...

I HATE this 'recovered memory' bullsh*t. It just sounds so FAKE and if someone told me they remembered stuff like this i doubt i'd believe it. So why should I believe myself? How could i forget it? My memory is f*cked up at the best of times but there's no way you'd think you'd forget this stuff. But then why did i block out some stuff and not the rest? I keep fighting about it in my head. But if it's not true, then why does it feel so real? Why does it seem to make more sense to believe it than to not? Why would i make it up? I just don't know if i can trust my own thoughts and that's the scariest thing about all of it.

Has anyone else remembered stuff years later? How did you deal with it? How do you know if it's real? The more i think about it the worse i feel. i don't know how to talk about it with my counsellor cuz i don't know what i believe...

learning_to_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

it's your minds way of protecting itself, suppressing stuff that it cannot deal with to allow to resurface once it feels strong enough.
problem is it often backfires, giving us memories we can't deal with or can't be sure are real...

but why would your mind make this stuff up? it's a scary feeling to be unsure if you can trust your memories but it happens to a lot of us...

as for why only some bits are forgoten and not all, this is somemthing i have often wondered too...

anyway, i can't think of anything i can say to help. just noticed this post was unanswered and wanted to tell you you're not alone in these feelings

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
ghosts in the machine
coimeádaí rún

I am currently:

You're not alone in this. I'm struggling with the same problem, and I have no idea whether it's real or not... *hugs* I'm sorry this isn't very helpful

For those doubts that swirl all around us
For those lives that tear at the seams
We know… we’re not what we’ve seen

For this dance we’ll move with each other
There ain’t no other step than one foot
Right in front of the other

~ We're marching on... ~

ghosts in the machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
crazykat
Fight for another day

I don't really have any advice but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this. I have struggled with this too. I think you would find it helpful to tell your councellor so that you can explore this with her. I think you would be surprised recovered memory from abuse is more common than you think. Take care
Kat xxx

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Anji

I have a blank in my memory too. I don't think I'll ever really remember. The closest I get to it is a feeling. Feeling really really strong stuff but I can't find the memory that causes it. It's almost fleeting. I only feel it for a few seconds and then it shuts down again. Sometimes it just happens out of the blue, sometimes there's a trigger, like a familiar smell, or noise. It's really intense though, it's horrible, I get scared I can't deal with this if I can't remember what I'm trying to deal with.
There's not much i can say to help, it's very rare that I actually remember something 'new'.

Anji is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)