RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #141
Smile like you mean it
Annie

I am currently:

I was diagnosed with this about a year ago... I'm trying really hard to not let it take over my life again but its not really working...

My RYL family
~frenchorn is my sister~ 1up_mushroomxx is my cuddly bear~

Smile like you mean it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #142
Stellata

The body's cells are imprinted by the past, it's deeply embedded, it takes time and support for the cells to feel they're safe, and that now is not then..

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #143
ShyGirlEiana

I am currently:

I've never been diagnosed...but I suspect I have Complex PTSD...

ShyGirlEiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #144
Stellata

I have Complex PTSD too, but informally diagnosed, because it's a private psychotherapeutic diagnosis, rather than a psychiatric one. It takes a very open minded NHS bod over here to diagnose on the trauma spectrum.

Old 13-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #145
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

Me too--my therapist thinks that I have Complex-PTSD but my psychiatrist doesn't really mention a diagnosis.

Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.

foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #146
Primrose

I am currently:

Hi
Its great that you have put this thread up so that we can share our expirences and I do definatley think that PTSD needs more awarness as it isnt brought up very much in the media.

I was watching rememberance day and the commentator was talking about the rise of combat stress amongst soldiers and I think its getting more common now there should be more access to treatment services and more research.

Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #147
Matthias
Matt

I am currently:

I don't wanna sound dumb but what is complex PTSD?

Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #148
Stellata

Complex PTSD linky. And another.

Old 13-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #149
Matthias
Matt

I am currently:

thanks for the links.

Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #150
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

I know a *minor* car crash isn't really traumatic, but... a lot of painful feelings are pushing forward, anger and fear mostly. The angry "part" of me is very close to the surface. We're not even injured. It was just so scary. Like... trauma on top of trauma. Does that make sense?

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #151
Puck
Ultreya

I am currently:

There is no level of severity as to what defines something as traumatic chels, and even if you werent injured the fact that your car gave up on you like that is a very scary thing *snuggles* i know to you it must be minor but it isnt as it alters your perspective on safety. I can understand where you're coming from though hun, recently i was in hospital and treated very badly, calling 999, the half hour waiting, the ambulance ride, being consistantly prodded and interrogated, awoken and moved around consistantly.. even though it seems minor i've actually been more upset about that well not more upset but its brought things to a head. So *snuggles* keep talking hun x

In response to rosamunde after i left my last college due to my complete mental breakdown due to the attack there.. im a bit stuffed the college here is the nearest next to that one and i really dont want to go back to my old schools sixth form as i found a levels too hard and im too scared to go back to my old school.. i think they'd be fed up of having to see me again. Im rather worried also involving into your conversation above my psychologist suspects complex ptsd.. but when i look it up it says prolonged abuse and what not.. mine was only 9 months? i mean very scary and dangerous for my life.. but how can that be right? They say i match majority of the symptoms.. but i have doubts about that? Also im worried as people are mentioning that im not talking at all about my attack in college that day.. i mean i dissociated for 3 hours and attempted during so its quite serious in their point of view.. i mean it wasnt really as bad as some events last year but it could have wound be up pregnent again and yeah.. im working through my ex and what not mainly.. but what i dont want is to get somewhere and get in control and then that backfire on me.. its not that i wont its that right now i cant my minds sort of blocked it like it did my ex for quite a while i dont know how can i deal with that?

Also rosamunde *hugs* i can understand how difficult that must be, i dont know if this might help but i often hold keys or a rock etc in my hand as its a good grounding (although it doesnt really help me for that) but often its good to distraction like music etc you can concentrate on how the object feels, textures etc. Im sure you've probably been told this before as have i, my psych tells me alot but i never leave the house without something in my pocket *shrugs* probably pretty useless but i dont have a lot advice apart from *snuggles* and that you're safe now, your pains in the past but i know the pain forces itself into the present.

"It is not the strength of the body that counts, but the strength of the spirit"
-J.R.R Tolkien

Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #152
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

Moon-light: nine months is a long time: I think for Complex-PTSD to develop it needs to be something that happened a number of times, not just once, but something that happens over a month or a couple of months is enough for Complex-PTSD to develop. I found it hard to believe it might have it too, as what happened to me was when I was very young, but I feel like a lot of the symptoms fit for me.

I'm sorry things are so difficult with college. I had to leave my uni and it was a bit difficult for me too. Are you taking a year out just now? Do you feel like maybe after that time you'll feel more able to cope? Do you think it would be better now to just not think about college for a bit? Or is it something you feel you need to think about? I'm sorry college is so difficult for you. It's really understandable. I struggled a lot with it too, with less reason. Maybe if you do go back some time you can sort out a support network so things are easier for you? *hugs*

I've never actually held a rock or keys before. I'll definitely give that a try some time. I like to have a blanket with me (how embarrassing for me!) and that works well as a grouding technique, but obviously I can't bring it with me when I'm out of the house. I'll definitely try holding keys or a rock next time. I do find holding or stroking something can be really helpful. Thanks muchly, Moon-light.

Old 16-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #153
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I'm having a ba d day today...

possibly he most realflashbacks ever... right now I can see and hear unreal things... I can't seem to ground..

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #154
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

That's a horrible feeling, shadow-light, I'm sorry. Is there anyone you can talk to? Sometimes I find that helps. Or wrapping up in a blanket?

Old 17-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #155
shadow-light

I am currently:

has anyone watched Greys Anatomy?

season 5 episodes 18 - 19.

One of the doctors blatently has PTSD... I've been almost yelling at the screen for the episodes that it's PTSD lol

Old 18-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #156
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

Which Doctor? I used to love Grey's Anatomy but I don't have a telly any more so I've not seen it in ages. :(

Ugh, my appointment was my psychiatirst has been moved around again. I was supposed to see him on the 10th of October, then it got moved to the 20th of November, now it's moved again to the 2nd of December. I'd really like to talk to him at some point, but oh no. And I really, really need him to write me a referral letter to a DBT group, and I've been asking him since JULY and my therapist says I would already be in the group if she had the letter, but he just won't send it. I have to keep asking his secretary to pass on the message but she never seems to. :( :( I just think if you asked for something in July, and you've asked a couple of times, and it's really important for your treatment, YOU SHOULD EXPECT IT TO BE DONE BY NOVEMBER.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel so let down right now. I feel like I'm working so, so hard to overcome stuff and to keep fighting even when I feel horrible, but no one cares or wants to help me at all, even when it's supposed to be their job to.

Old 20-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #157
shadow-light

I am currently:

it's a new doctor in season 5. He was a medic in Iraq but got discharged so starts to work in the ER

psychs moving things sucks :( hopefully it will be sorted for you soon.

I've gone nealy 24 hours without any flashbakcs :)

Old 21-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #158
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

I kind of know of the character, and yeah, I see what you mean!

There are a couple of instances of characters I can remember having it... the soldier in The L Word, various people in ER, David in Six Feet Under. It seems like a fairly common theme. Which is interesting.

Old 21-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #159
shadow-light

I am currently:

I've never seen a character on TV with PTSD I don't think, well until the doctor guy anyway lol

Old 21-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #160
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

In ER, Abby gets kidnapped and has flashbacks/some PTSD like symptoms. I think the same thing happens to Dr Green at some point.

In Six Feet Under, it's more upsetting in a way, David the main character gets kidnapped/held at gunpoint/abused in an episode I found really distressing, then afterwards he has a lot of PTSD symptoms... I think he's even diagnosed with it.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)